Coating excal coil with epoxy...

One coat or two? I just got finished with 1 coat. I have the 8 inch coil. I am tempted to put 1 more on.

WOT I am gonna say will need 2 coats at least. Anyone ever coat the 8 inch coil? Thanks. -Joe

I drill small holes in coil cover and then put a nice coating of epoxy into the cover then press it to coil yes some will ooze out of the holes which is fine... FSA46 taught me and it lasts forever..

I have a older Minelab Excalibur coil I need to epoxy and came across this thread. I have always used coil covers. But like was stated that black sand gets in the cover and you need to clean them out often.
Which Marine epoxy do you recommend ?

Loctite marine epoxy is tough as nails!!!!

Loctite is THE way to go. I have a machine with a new coil that doesnt have a cover. I really go thru covers no matter the water machine. But it this case with no cover...... i thought wow over $300 for a coil.... this could be bad. But i put marine epoxy on it and thus far no ware. One coat .... the stuff spreads like peanut butter with your finger. Refresh as needed. Its nearly 4000 lbs psi holding.

i used a realtor open house sign made out of some kind of plastic and epoxy it to my sea hunter PI in 2014 no problems at all

I drill small holes in coil cover and then put a nice coating of epoxy into the cover then press it to coil yes some will ooze out of the holes which is fine... FSA46 taught me and it lasts forever..

i agree with craig it works fine and protects the sides as well just get all the air out

Does anyone know or checked how much depth you loose ????? also when you are needing to put on another cover getting the one you epoxied will be h e double l

Does anyone know or checked how much depth you loose ????? also when you are needing to put on another cover getting the one you epoxied will be h e double l

You don't lose any depth... I am a scrubber when I hunt and sand is abrasive and I still have me coil cover intact after the epoxy treatment. the drill holes allow nubs to squeeze out its like a studded tire they wear down slowly.. :yes:

Attachments

• coil 3.jpg
    coil 3.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 022fc5169edca07870e69742d8ba8a64.jpg
    022fc5169edca07870e69742d8ba8a64.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 138
You really dont need to cover it on thick..... its all about knowing where its wearing.... and you can see the wear. So you just dab on a bit more as it wears down. Depth loose .... well you arent talking huge.... almost everyone could make it up just by dropping their coil swing. Gets a little funny watching how some get casually take their detectors for a walk..... hey but many say its exercise.:lol:

here,s how i covered my sea hunter coil. note when clamping , go easy, i use an realtor open house sign it has served me will with no problems the last pic of the coil has 5 years use on it

Attachments

• IMG_9281.JPG
    IMG_9281.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0840.JPG
    IMG_0840.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0842.JPG
    IMG_0842.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0843.JPG
    IMG_0843.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_9280.JPG
    IMG_9280.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 85
here,s how i covered my sea hunter coil. note when clamping , go easy, i use an realtor open house sign it has served me will with no problems the last pic of the coil has 5 years use on it

Wow! You sure put a lot of TLC into that bottom, Clean work!

Mine over the years I just coat it and never look at it again, it looks that bad.

You really dont need to cover it on thick..... its all about knowing where its wearing.... and you can see the wear. So you just dab on a bit more as it wears down. Depth loose .... well you arent talking huge.... almost everyone could make it up just by dropping their coil swing. Gets a little funny watching how some get casually take their detectors for a walk..... hey but many say its exercise.:lol:

Hey Dew, One should note that when doing Minelab Equinox coils that there is not one coil I have seen that is not underfilled from the factory. I have seen 7 factory coils.

To explain further, the potting compound is below the frame height. When putting epoxy on, bring the low spots up to height then give the whole coil a coat.

If you keep the frame height high you risk chipping and breakage of the frame.

Back
Top Bottom