Ctx issues

HullGuitars

Forum Supporter
Went on a two or three hour water hunt today. Finally took out the CTX for its maiden voyage, had a few problems with the coil wanting to float to the top. I could barely keep it underwater. Also, I submerged it just a tad, and since then the Detector thinks I'm using headphones and will not make any sounds. Did I do something wrong?

The coil is slightly bouyant...wearing the arm cuff helps.

The wireless sending unit is in the display...when it submerges you lose signal. You'll need waterproof headphones to submerge the unit fully.

The coil thing you'll get used to. Do reverse grip arm curls at the gym, build up your forearm muscles and you'll keep that coil planted no problem. no need for an arm cuff strap. Those are like training wheels..

My Grey Ghost underwater phones work just fine. Though the volume sucks, but that a piezo speaker for ya.

Gym? Have you not seen my profile picture!? So are you telling me that when I submerged the CTX without headphones plugged in I got water in the headphone port?

You remove the headphone jack cover and there is a black plastic plug attached to the back that MUST be screwed into the headphone jack before getting it wet.

I hope you're good to go...yikes.

Fill a sock with sand and tie it to the coil. You would think ML would thought about that. The photo of it floating flat on the surface was more important. :laughing:

Thanks imaliokin!! It's a really good and quickfix! I'm pretty sure I screwed up bad. It was submerge for several minutes, and you can's plainly see water down in the headphone jack. So you're saying remove that wireless module and screw that plug onto the connector? Do you just leave the wireless module (that fits above the battery compartment) off if not using headphones?

That's not a wireless module...just a plastic cover. The module is near the screen inside the detector...you can't access it. I leave the plug in and the cover off on mine.

Don't turn it on, remove the battery and prop it upside down over a HVAC vent in the floor for a few days. Maybe try putting a shop-vac hose over the jack to remove some water...or a hairdryer?

Thanks imaliokin!! It's a really good and quickfix! I'm pretty sure I screwed up bad. It was submerge for several minutes, and you can's plainly see water down in the headphone jack. So you're saying remove that wireless module and screw that plug onto the connector? Do you just leave the wireless module (that fits above the battery compartment) off if not using headphones?

The wireless module is NOT water proof. If you have read the manual you would know that. You must remove it and either use the black plug that is on the back of it (you screw it in the headphone jack) or you use waterproof headphones.

....it is listed as the headphone module (and unfortunately clearly lists it as not waterproof).

haha...you made me think I was losing it so I just checked the manual.

If you are using the wireless module (clips on to your belt), the headphone module is not needed although I keep it in the truck in case the wireless unit battery dies.

but if I plug waterproof headphones in water can still get in around the headphone jack! As well as come in from behind the unit.

Hull....you remove the headphone module and then waterproof headphones with rubber gasket screw in where the black plug goes. The hole is threaded to secure the proprietary headphone plug and make sure it stays dry....

Ummmm...Whut? Wasn't being funny....its all in the startup guide that comes in the box w/the detector.

there is no plastic screw for the headphone jack. Just for the transmitter connector. First pic is of the transmitter box as used today. Second photo is with box removed and PLASTIC PLUG INSTALLED. I guess that's how Im supposed to hunt.

Back
Top Bottom