Nokta/Makro SMF (My Prediction)

Garrett has it's loyal customers just like all companies out there. People will continue to support them no matter what they release.

My opinion and it is just that....Us beach hunters were waiting for a SMF for decades. Since the day of putting Sovereigns in a box. Those of you who watched Grave digger Max videos years ago probably remember his Explorer head unit in a box. Sure we had the Excal, but it is clunky, heavy, expensive to mod, and more suited for water than a beach. And it has no screen. Garrett released the AT Pro. A waterproof detector that just didn't cut it on a salt water beach because it wasn't SMF. What did they release next? The AT Max. A missed opportunity. The Windows Vista in the detecting world. Now they finally release the Apex and guess what. Not waterproof! People can claim that Garrett is not asleep. Probably true. But then those years that went by were a missed opportunity to gain the admiration of salt water beach hunters.

ML vs. Garrett, here, huh?

I don't care which detectors better. In these "ABC detector vs. XYZ detector" reads, I'm pretty sure I made myself clear.

I'm gonna say this again.

"I think all detectors are good as long as they have detecting in mind."

Apex will never be a Equinox.

But this doesn't mean it's not good. Is it AS GOOD as the Nox? Never. Is it half the price? Yes.

And about the "Garrett said Apex is going for nox" thing, not in any official garrett articals Ive read. If someone does have proof, please PM me it.

I'll edit my point of veiw as I may be biased to ML (by majority of my detectors being ML made)

Josh

That's not the point of our discussion at all.

For starters,
And I hope some at least reps of some of the detector manufacturers read here.

You don’t want YES Men or YES Ladies testing your detectors !!

You want critical thinkers. Out of the box thinkers. Honest folks. Folks who when they test your units see it as a journey, take pride ownership in the final product.

Turn the detector upside down, all around. Take zero for granted.
Don’t fall into the trap just because a manufacturer made X model detector that Y model detector will be okey dokey. Even the basics of a detector, layout, menus, etc. Even the real simple stuff needs attention to detail by a tester.

Leave no stone unturned should be your motto.
Hopefully all the eyes, hands, ears, opinions, checks, tests, use of all the testers a manufacturer uses will act like a big old NET. And catch all the things that need attention/correction.

You folks here who want to be testers in the future. It is not all peaches and cream, can be challenging, can involve a lot of your personal time, and can be very rewarding as far as your detecting experience.

Some folks here on the this forum come to mind based on their posts/threads here who I would like to see get involved with testing new models for manufacturers.

Rattlehead gets my vote solidly for one.
Detector Ben gets my vote solidly too.

For starters,

You want critical thinkers. Out of the box thinkers. Honest folks. Folks who when they test your units see it as a journey, take pride ownership in the final product.

Don’t fall into the trap just because a manufacturer made X model detector that Y model detector will be okey dokey. Even the basics of a detector, layout, menus, etc. Even the real simple stuff needs attention to detail by a tester.

Hopefully all the eyes, hands, ears, opinions, checks, tests, use of all the testers a manufacturer uses will act like a big old NET. And catch all the things that need attention/correction.

You folks here who want to be testers in the future. It is not all peaches and cream, can be challenging, can involve a lot of your personal time, and can be very rewarding as far as your detecting experience.

Some folks here on the this forum come to mind based on their posts/threads here who I would like to see get involved with testing new models for manufacturers.

Very well said TN

Too many people accept or reject detectors based solely on brand name. I am a fan of good detectors period. I had a blast with the at pro for years and spoke highly of it in that time. Then I moved on to etrac and discovered what it could do and loved it. I think the anfibio multi was a good machine and performed well but I preferred the functionality of the equinox. I look forward to using this new Nokta SMF as well.

If people actually watch my videos they will see that I don't bash any machine or brand. I have used everything from the $120 dr otek to the $3500 ctx. I simply run them through my coin garden and use them in real parks and yards and report what I see. I point out the good and bad of each machine I use. I have not said any machine is perfect. Not the equinox, the ctx, etrac, anfibio, nor the apex. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. I just enjoy using all different kinds of machines and reporting what I see. And hopefully that information will help at least one person find the machine that is right for them regardless of the brand or price.

Thanks for the vote as well.[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Well said tnsharpshooter.

One thing that makes me puke is the "yes man." Too afraid to criticize a tested detector because they might offend the manufacturer, and not get a free test machine next time. A sellout in my opinion.

Tell it like it is, good & bad, or go sell extended car warranties.

ML vs. Garrett, here, huh?

I don't care which detectors better. In these "ABC detector vs. XYZ detector" reads, I'm pretty sure I made myself clear.

I'm gonna say this again.

"I think all detectors are good as long as they have detecting in mind."

Apex will never be a Equinox.

But this doesn't mean it's not good. Is it AS GOOD as the Nox? Never. Is it half the price? Yes.

And about the "Garrett said Apex is going for nox" thing, not in any official garrett articals Ive read. If someone does have proof, please PM me it.

I'll edit my point of veiw as I may be biased to ML (by majority of my detectors being ML made)

Josh

You make some good points in your post. The only problem I see is that the APEX is not half the price of the Equinox 600. Until July 31st, anyone can buy an Equinox 600 bundle deal with wireless headphones for $150 more than the APEX with wireless headphones....... I know which deal I would take and recommend to anyone unless they just have to buy a Garrett APEX because they want to support Garrett (absolutely nothing wrong with that) or they just don't have $649.

So, was Garrett going after the Equinox 600 market with the release of the APEX......definitely. Is there any question in my mind about which one of those two I would pick as far as overall features and performance. No!

The same can be said for the Vanquish 540 Pro Pack vs the current bundled deal on the Equinox 600 for $150 more. They are not even remotely close feature, adjustability and performance wise once a person moves on from very basic detecting.

So, if all a person wants to do is very basic, dry or wet sand beach or basic turf hunting the APEX and Vanquish models are absolutely fantastic entry level SMF detector choices.

If you want more from a detector.......hopefully Nokta Makro's SMF will provide that within the already outstanding Simplex platform.

Last edited:
For starters,

A few years back I did some testing/reviewing for several flashlight companies. It got old real quick as some companies expected almost immediate reviews and demanded a lot of my time. A few companies made it clear that they expected positive comments only - those companies were told to stop contacting me.

I understand why the companies desire positive comments about their products. I thought it odd that some companies saw opportunities for improvement as a negative.

My favorite companies to work with were those that just wanted a report (not a public review) back on my thoughts - specifically areas that could be improved.

A number of testers would sell the lights they had received - a means of compensating them for the time involved. I couldn't bring myself to doing that and ended up giving away almost all the lights I had received (over 200 flashlights).

I still have some of the flashlights, but no longer work with any companies. It just wasn't worth the time or the hassle. If I wanted a new light (or whatever) now - it's just easier to go purchase it.

You make some good points in your post. The only problem I see is that the APEX is not half the price of the Equinox 600. Until July 31st, anyone can buy an Equinox 600 bundle deal with wireless headphones for $150 more than the APEX with wireless headphones....... I know which deal I would take and recommend to anyone unless they just have to buy a Garrett APEX because they want to support Garrett (absolutely nothing wrong with that) or they just don't have $649.

So, was Garrett going after the Equinox 600 market with the release of the APEX......definitely. Is there any question in my mind about which one of those two I would pick as far as overall features and performance. No!

The same can be said for the Vanquish 540 Pro Pack vs the current bundled deal on the Equinox 600 for $150 more. They are not even remotely close feature, adjustability and performance wise once a person moves on from very basic detecting.

So, if all a person wants to do is very basic, dry or wet sand beach or basic turf hunting the APEX and Vanquish models are absolutely fantastic entry level SMF detector choices.

If you want more from a detector.......hopefully Nokta Makro's SMF will provide that within the already outstanding Simplex platform.

I don't doubt that Garrett hoped to take a piece of the Nox 600 sales [with the Apex] but I don't believe the Apex was designed [performance wise] to be a direct competitor to the Nox 600.

Garrett is well aware of what the Nox 600 is capable of. I suspect the Apex was created under the Ace series more as a means of keeping more of those customers who wanted to move up from the other models in the Ace series - with multi-frequency as the major hook. It's also a good way of entering the multi-frequency arena - without going all out in some effort to topple the 800 lb gorilla that is the Nox series.

Garrett has strongly hinted that there will be a higher end multiple frequency machine in the near future. My suspicion is that machine will be designed to directly compete [performance wise] with the Nox series. The Apex gives Garrett the opportunity to hold onto more of their customers, while also gaining valuable insight into what features/performance will best drive sales.

I think the Apex is a success as far as what it was intended for [by Garrett]. Hopefully Garrett can build on that and create a machine that truly competes [performance wise and otherwise] with the Nox series. If for no other reason than it helps the consumer by creating more competition.

Nokta/Makro is taking a different approach; they're clearly targeting the Nox 800. That's putting all their eggs in one basket - a rather bold move. Given their past performances, I believe there is a good chance that Nokta will release a machine that gives the Nox 800 real competition. Time will tell, but if they do that will be fantastic for the consumer.

I likewise have little doubt that Minelab will offer the world a machine that outperforms their Nox 800. I certainly hope so anyway - again, because competition is good for the consumer.

I'd be very surprised if First Texas, XP, and others aren't likewise scheming various improvements that allow them to tackle the 800 lb gorilla. I certainly hope they are.

Last edited:
I don't doubt that Garrett hoped to take a piece of the Nox 600 sales [with the Apex] but I don't believe the Apex was designed [performance wise] to be a direct competitor to the Nox 600.

Garrett is well aware of what the Nox 600 is capable of. I suspect the Apex was created under the Ace series more as a means of keeping more of those customers who wanted to move up from the other models in the Ace series - with multi-frequency as the major hook. It's also a good way of entering the multi-frequency arena - without going all out in some effort to topple the 800 lb gorilla that is the Nox series.

Garrett has strongly hinted that there will be a higher end multiple frequency machine in the near future. My suspicion is that machine will be designed to directly compete [performance wise] with the Nox series. The Apex gives Garrett the opportunity to hold onto more of their customers, while also gaining valuable insight into what features/performance will best drive sales.

I think the Apex is a success as far as what it was intended for [by Garrett]. Hopefully Garrett can build on that and create a machine that truly competes [performance wise and otherwise] with the Nox series. If for no other reason than it helps the consumer by creating more competition.

Nokta/Makro is taking a different approach; they're clearly targeting the Nox 800. That's putting all their eggs in one basket - a rather bold move. Given their past performances, I believe there is a good chance that Nokta will release a machine that gives the Nox 800 real competition. Time will tell, but if they do that will be fantastic for the consumer.

I likewise have little doubt that Minelab will offer the world a machine that outperforms their Nox 800. I certainly hope so anyway - again, because competition is good for the consumer.

I'd be very surprised if First Texas, XP, and others aren't likewise scheming various improvements that allow them to tackle the 800 lb gorilla. I certainly hope they are.

They don't even need to set their sights so high. Going after the 600 lb gorilla will still be a major accomplishment.

They don't even need to set their sights so high. Going after the 600 lb gorilla will still be a major accomplishment.

Now that was the whole point of my posts. I am glad you had no trouble picking up on that and you have little or no experience with a Nox 600 if I remember the detectors you have owned correctly.

Now that was the whole point of my posts. I am glad you had no trouble picking up on that and you have little or no experience with a Nox 600 if I remember the detectors you have owned correctly.

Take out the the gold mode the 600 and 800 perform equally well.

Steve

That's not the point of our discussion at all.

Thank you for the correction, mh9162013.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :goodpost:

you indicate that the eq 600 is the '"superior" detector, yet you own the really terrific 540 pro-pack.i also own the pro-pack,and believe that "for the value" delivered, the 540 pro-pack is a better value than the eq 600 in my "MILD" ground. my savings were $225.00 over the eq 600,AND I got an extra coil. granted,the eq 600 has better adjustability than the vanquish 540,however,after using the 540 extensively in "my mild" ground,it is my belief that the vanquish product is a "match" performance wise to the 600, again, in "lightly mineralized soil"

(h.h.!)
j.t.

you indicate that the eq 600 is the '"superior" detector, yet you own the really terrific 540 pro-pack.i also own the pro-pack,and believe that "for the value" delivered, the 540 pro-pack is a better value than the eq 600 in my "MILD" ground. my savings were $225.00 over the eq 600,AND I got an extra coil. granted,the eq 600 has better adjustability than the vanquish 540,however,after using the 540 extensively in "my mild" ground,it is my belief that the vanquish product is a "match" performance wise to the 600, again, in "lightly mineralized soil"

(h.h.!)
j.t.

So what does that say about future releases? Do we want more bells and whistles or just simplicity and performance? Personally I like to turn a detector on and hunt. Many of us don't want to tinker with settings to get the best out of a detector. After all the detector releases since the Sovereign GT I would still love to have just a waterproof model of the GT. Simple, powerful, and just fun to use.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

J.T. Owning both a Vanquish 540 and a 600, I will disagree that the 540 is a "match" performance wise to the 600. The 540 is a fantastic detector for a lot of applications including the beach. I was shocked at the punishing depths it was finding coins at in dry sand and how stable it is overall. It definitely has a slower recovery speed than the 600 and in the 100+ year old parks we hunt, there is a wide variety of targets everywhere and at times it is even a challenge for the Equinox. I have no doubt that I would be missing more targets hunting that same ground with the Vanquish.

Now, I will say that after hunting with markinswpa, that the 600 and 800 can hunt in a more "matched" fashion. He and I compare GB settings and regularly check targets and I can't say that I have seen a situation where I am not confident that either one of these detectors would have sniffed out the target. Now, as to the value of all the "bells and whistles" available between the different models, I think this is more of a personal choice. IMO you want every available edge that is going to help you find more targets. I bought my 600 used and I love it. I feel that it is the best detector for my needs at the moment, but if I had to replace it tomorrow I would buy the 800 and I will tell you why. I have only been in this hobby for about 15 months and I still feel like I am learning every time we go out. Hunting with markinswpa has been an eye opener. He is a great hunter and going out with him has helped me immensely. Mark consistently finds nickels at a rate of probably 5 to my 1. Is that because the 800 is "better" at finding nickels than the 600? No it is not. It is because Mark has built a profile that allows him to hear those nickel signals at a higher volume amongst the sea of mid conductor trash that all sounds the same to me on my 600. Is this a deal breaker? No, but I am probably walking away from every hunt minus a couple of buffalo or war nickels. I too initially thought that those "advanced" settings were not necessary, but now I am seeing that is not always the case.

Back to the original topic of this thread, it is very apparent Nokta Makro has their ears open and I am sure they understand what they are up against "challenging" the Equinox. They build some fantastic machines and if they can get their SMF tech down, this new detector could easily propel them to the top of the heap. Either way, it is a great thing for this hobby and for all of us.

I think the anticipation of a new detector that can possibly help us find more good stuff is something that we can all share and agree on. :thumbsup:

J.T. Owning both a Vanquish 540 and a 600, I will disagree that the 540 is a "match" performance wise to the 600. The 540 is a fantastic detector for a lot of applications including the beach. I was shocked at the punishing depths it was finding coins at in dry sand and how stable it is overall. It definitely has a slower recovery speed than the 600 and in the 100+ year old parks we hunt, there is a wide variety of targets everywhere and at times it is even a challenge for the Equinox. I have no doubt that I would be missing more targets hunting that same ground with the Vanquish.

Now, I will say that after hunting with markinswpa, that the 600 and 800 can hunt in a more "matched" fashion. He and I compare GB settings and regularly check targets and I can't say that I have seen a situation where I am not confident that either one of these detectors would have sniffed out the target. Now, as to the value of all the "bells and whistles" available between the different models, I think this is more of a personal choice. IMO you want every available edge that is going to help you find more targets. I bought my 600 used and I love it. I feel that it is the best detector for my needs at the moment, but if I had to replace it tomorrow I would buy the 800 and I will tell you why. I have only been in this hobby for about 15 months and I still feel like I am learning every time we go out. Hunting with markinswpa has been an eye opener. He is a great hunter and going out with him has helped me immensely. Mark consistently finds nickels at a rate of probably 5 to my 1. Is that because the 800 is "better" at finding nickels than the 600? No it is not. It is because Mark has built a profile that allows him to hear those nickel signals at a higher volume amongst the sea of mid conductor trash that all sounds the same to me on my 600. Is this a deal breaker? No, but I am probably walking away from every hunt minus a couple of buffalo or war nickels. I too initially thought that those "advanced" settings were not necessary, but now I am seeing that is not always the case.

Back to the original topic of this thread, it is very apparent Nokta Makro has their ears open and I am sure they understand what they are up against "challenging" the Equinox. They build some fantastic machines and if they can get their SMF tech down, this new detector could easily propel them to the top of the heap. Either way, it is a great thing for this hobby and for all of us.

I think the anticipation of a new detector that can possibly help us find more good stuff is something that we can all share and agree on. :thumbsup:

Great post and spot on about what a plus it is to be able to create a custom profile on the 800. In 5 Tones on my 800 10-13 is still a mid tone, but volume is maxed. 14-17 higher pitch but much lower volume. 18-39 highest pitch and max volume. It makes a difference hunting in higher concentrations of nonferrous trash. Since the I.D. scale is a bit compressed I have nothing notched out and run mine with the horseshoe engaged at all times with the iron range volume set low.

Minelab wrote the book on SMF. They have set a high bar for their competitors to try to clear. I kind of have my doubts Nokta/Makro can do it on the first try. I think Minelab has some secret sauce no one else has.

I had a Nokta Impact until recently and it was a really nice detector. I have said it before, and will say it again that if you can stand the smaller footprint the small elliptical on the Impact is a very deadly combo. It separates really well. I never made the move, but the 11" round coil on the Impact would probably improve it's depth some. Had I kept it I would have eventually bought that coil. From what I have heard both the Anfibio and Simplex are deep detectors with that coil.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

The above is your opinion. If the 540 Pro Pack is working well for you, your hunting style and your hunting sites, that is great. I have definitely enjoyed the Vanquish series at some of the places I hunt. They are fun to use, very deep detectors with outstanding non-ferrous target ID accuracy.

I have never owned the 540 Pro Pack. I am not fond of the ML80 Bluetooth wireless headphones and I don't see the point in my paying extra for the Pro Pack to get them. I like several after market compatible Bluetooth headphones and earbuds that work well with the 540. I bought a 540 (not the Pro Pack)with a 25% off discount to test it with the full expectation that I would sell it later and did. I do own a 440. I like the weight of the Vanquish series better with the 10" coil. That detector is not going anywhere.

I am not going into a blow by blow comparison of the 540 Pro Pack and the current Equinox 600 bundled deal that includes the ML80s for the normal $649 Nox 600 price.

I will say that the Vanquish 540, 440 and 340 will not ground balance well in most of the places I would use them which are for local parks, sports field areas and freshwater beaches due to moderate to high mineralization. I have to make some awkward adjustments to the search modes and I can't use the all metal horseshoe button without negative consequences. If I do, every target sounds like it has iron around it and I get constant -9 ground noise just swinging the coil over "clean" ground.

Partly due to this mineralization and partly due to the much slower recovery speed (compared to the 600) I have experienced many multiple targets in close proximity near the surface that sound like one target which includes several coin spills.

Also due to iron mineralization, slower recovery speeds and the very limited iron bias settings, iron targets near the surface will mask other targets nearby more easily than with the 600.

Finally, the Vanquish are not setup to excel at smaller than small coin sized non-ferrous target detection. Part of that is the choice of frequencies which Minelab isn't telling us about. The Vanquish series are very quiet with little or no EMI issues. However, this seems to also be from Minelab deliberately limiting its transmit/receive gain as opposed to the very chatty (in comparison) Equinox. So, from extensive testing and field experience, there is no mode on the Vanquish series even using the excellent 8" coil that can come close to matching the small target (micro jewelry, small gold nuggets, partially masked or poorly oriented larger/deeper targets) detection capabilities of the Equinox 600 or especially the 800. It will match the sensitivity of several 15 to 19 kHz single frequency detectors that I have owned and tested.

I owned an Equinox 600 from the moment they were released and used it for over 3000 hours. I know what it can do from very basic to extreme detecting scenarios. I have also owned and used the Nox 800 and all three Vanquish models and have put plenty of hours on them. I believe I know what I am talking about when I recommend the Vanquish series for more normal types of detecting where targets are not tightly packed and iron trash is not much of a factor along with having mild soil conditions. If those are your conditions, you should do well with the Vanquish. The Equinox 600 can hunt under those circumstances equally as well. The Equinox 600 however, is capable of handling just about any other moderate to extreme detecting scenario you can think of and it will do that very well too.

So, Nokta Makro have a well-established history of making excellent metal detectors that rarely skimp on build quality (except for their wireless headphone build quality and the Simplex lower shaft flex). I hope their SMF detector will continue with that trend and be even better than the Equinox at least in that department. Whether their SMF technology will equal or surpass what is in the Equinox and to a lesser degree in the Vanquish.........we'll see.

Great post and spot on about what a plus it is to be able to create a custom profile on the 800. In 5 Tones on my 800 10-13 is still a mid tone, but volume is maxed. 14-17 higher pitch but much lower volume. 18-39 highest pitch and max volume. It makes a difference hunting in higher concentrations of nonferrous trash. Since the I.D. scale is a bit compressed I have nothing notched out and run mine with the horseshoe engaged at all times with the iron range volume set low.

Minelab wrote the book on SMF. They have set a high bar for their competitors to try to clear. I kind of have my doubts Nokta/Makro can do it on the first try. I think Minelab has some secret sauce no one else has.

I had a Nokta Impact until recently and it was a really nice detector. I have said it before, and will say it again that if you can stand the smaller footprint the small elliptical on the Impact is a very deadly combo. It separates really well. I never made the move, but the 11" round coil on the Impact would probably improve it's depth some. Had I kept it I would have eventually bought that coil. From what I have heard both the Anfibio and Simplex are deep detectors with that coil.

If SMF detectors so easy to make, why hasn’t more manufacturers done?
I agree with you.
Plus Minelab can build on what they already know and learn from their mistakes.
When I use word mistake here, it’s not meant in the strictest sense. Just I’ll bet some of their engineers later find out how to do better. Some may have even thought wow, why didn’t we see or think of this earlier. Yeah human minds even the brightest ones can find flaws in their work. Good thing too. We don’t and they don’t need conceited engineers.
I’ll bet there are a few out there too somewhere.
Pity too.

Ok, who here has the minelab bedsheets and curtains :laughing:. If you have the PJs too keep that secret,we don't need to know. This thread is like a train wreck,I hate to see it but can't look away..

Ok, who here has the minelab bedsheets and curtains :laughing:. If you have the PJs too keep that secret,we don't need to know. This thread is like a train wreck,I hate to see it but can't look away..

Woody I bought my Minelab logo toilet paper same place where you bought your Garrett logo toilet paper.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Seriously Woody.
Folks should be able to share their thoughts. About tech, etc. as long as no one is being attacked personally.

Look Woody, if Nokta Makro releases SMF detector, what’s the first thing any intelligent detectorist will ask or want to know?

How about how does it stack up to Minelab ?
You reckon.

And if another manufacturer gets on top with SMF, it will be that company’s units that the ones will be compare to.
Btw, don’t forget Dilek mentioned Equinox 800 by name as far as what they wanted to compete with.
So since she mentioned only fitting for folks be allowed to do the same in this thread. The way I see it anyways.

I hope it turns out to be battle of the titans.
We’ll see.

Actually Nokta Makro should feel honored by having Equinox being mentioned in this thread with the title it has.

I would be if I were them.

Also. Here’s idea for this forum.
Detector prospector forum has this btw.
Might help here to have subforum titled detector comparisons.
This way if folks want to stay purely brand loyal and don’t want to ever read comments, opinions, realities when it comes to this or that, etc about detector models they don’t ever enter the subforum like I suggest.
Just an idea.

Also we shouldn’t forget about Xp either as far as SMF.;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom