Wireless phones on Garrett At Max

Island Guy

Thinking about this detector and wondering from users if they are happy with the wireless headphones on this unit.

Have the Nox 800 and my trusty old Whites V3i and spoiled on the wireless headphones.

Or any general comments regarding this detector.
Have never used a Garrett but thinking I might like to give it a try.
My water detecting is mostly just in the rain as I live in the great Pacific NW.
Do anticipate some beach hunting though.
Thanks!

The AT Max has its advantages over the Equinox, but they usually don't revolve around performance (especially in salt water environments). Instead, it's other factors, like:

Use of AA batteries
S-shaft design
Better waterproofing
Made in the USA (if that matters to you)
Great customer support (possibly better than Minelab's)
Availability of aftermarket coils

As for the MS-3 headphones with the AT max, they work well based on what I've heard and my limited experience with them. I find them to be too tight around my head though, and it gives me a headache. But I think that's my issue and not an issue with the headphones.

It's been a few years since I've swung an AT Max, but here is what I recall about the stock MS-3 headphones specifically: the overall sound quality was good to my ears and they were comfortable on my head. I generally only used them in colder weather to help keep my ears warm - I switched exclusively to earbuds during warmer weather using a z-lynk transmitter that I purchased separately. I wouldn't recommend wearing them in the rain - they definitely aren't waterproof, and I don't recall if they are even "weather resistant", but I wouldn't test that out in a Pacific NW rainy day.

I had decided to upgrade to an AT Max after loving my Ace 400. Personally, I wasn't pleased with the performance of the AT Max, and parted ways with mine after less than a year of use (2/2018-11/2018). My chief complaints with the Max include lack of volume control on iron signals and poor tonal quality on all target signals - even good targets were often tinged with iron pops and grunts to a degree I've not experienced with any other detector before or since. I never developed a good rapport with the machine, and I ultimately never trusted it's ability to pick out challenging targets and present them in a way that I would consistently be inspired to dig.

All that said, there are some users who love the Max, so YMMV.

My self I would grab the AT Max with the Z-Lynk M-3 Headphone and Pinpointer
I have the I Z-Lynk transmitte and bought the 2-pin adapter for the AT Gold with the Z-Lynk M-3 Headphone and Pinpointer

I have the Equinox 600 ..I can do better with the Garretts
I understand the 0- 99 VDI better

Back when I used the At Max, I enjoyed the wireless setup with the zlynk pinpointer. I bought the adapter for the Anfibio and used it on that also. I have used it on the Deus too, until I went with the wireless setup/pinpointer for that. Can't go wrong with the Garrett zlynk in my opinion.

Island Guy: said:
Thinking about this detector and wondering from users if they are happy with the wireless headphones on this unit.
I do not have an AT MAX, but I borrowed a friend's a couple of times and liked the MS-3 wireless headphones.

I liked them so well that I currently own 4 Garrett Apex devices. I was going to get an AT MAX, but I don't swim or dive or wade out far in a Beach Hunt so I don't need a water-proof, submersible detector. Plus, the Apex is newer and has more 'modern' features I like, such as the 5-Tone audio ID, and Iron Audio Volume control, plus Volume Control. Better still, it provides a very functional Simultaneous Multi-Frequency option for land (MF) or salt water beach (MS), plus the Selectable Single-Frequency option with 5 kHz, 10 kHz, 15 kHz and 20 kHz.

I bought my 1st Apex brand new w/MS-3 headphones. My 2nd, and 3rd. Apex devices I bought 'as-new' or used less than an hour or so, both spotless, and both with MS-3 headphones. Then I made a trade and got a 4th Apex that is assigned as my 'loaner-unit' for family and friends, and it also has it's own set of MS-3 headphones.

All four sets sound terrific, and I haven't had any issues with anay of them. My oldest son and a good detecting friend have used the 'loaner-unit' and MS-3's and they also like them.

I've had an EQ-800 and three Vanquish 540's, all with the ML-80 headphones that I like, at least enough for them to rank #2 to the #1 Garrett Z-Lynk MS-3's.

Have the Nox 800 and my trusty old Whites V3i and spoiled on the wireless headphones.
Had the NOX 800, and had a couple of the V3i's from initial intro to when I gave up on it. I had a lot of issues with the four that I had, and a couple of times with the headphones. I much prefer the Ms-3's.

As for th detector, I do like the AT MAX from the little bit I used them, but not enough to part with my Apex devices for one. Instead, I am quite content with my whole outfit right now, and I am waiting to see what Garrett will bring out as an up-line SMF to take over the AT series.

My water detecting is mostly just in the rain as I live in the great Pacific NW.
Thanks!
I lived in the "great Pacific NW" for over 58 years and it can rain from time-to-time, however I only hunted when it was a light sprinkle or shower and not one of the soakers. If you're going out into the deep water Beach Hunting, you could use your EQ-800, but even though I don't now due to my health and poor mobility, I would likely invest in a dedicated 'get-wet' unit such as a Simplex +. Or, wait to see what Garrett brings out next in SMF. Or, as you desire, get the AT MAX and enjoy the wireless MS-3 headphones..

Monte

The wireless signal on the AT Max submerged will not work with the MS-3 wireless headphones. The AT Max is also not a very good salt water beach detector. Your Equinox is a much better choice for that work. For wet and dry saltwater sand I would also prefer the Nokta Makro Simplex or the Garrett APEX over the AT Max.

For raw depth as in I get a response swinging over a 12" coin sized or bigger target..........in moderate to mild iron mineralization the AT Max can definitely do that. It won't tell you what the target is but it will hit it for sure.

I am not a fan of the AT Max over driven audio either. It created too many iffy tones for me that were a blend of all three tones on a single target. I did enjoy using the AT Gold for many years and found it to be an excellent detector with much clearer and less blended audio. Both the AT Max and AT Gold have nauseating iron audio however which has virtually no adjustment. The Equinox has much better adjustable iron audio both in volume and pitch. The Garrett APEX and Nokta Makro Simplex also have adjustable iron volume controls that far exceed those on the AT Max for leas than half the price of the AT Max.

I have used MS-3 Z Lynk headphones and transmitters for years. They are a fantastic alternative to wired headphones. They sound great with the Garrett APEX and I use them with my Garrett 24K, Vanquish 440 and my Minelab pulse induction detectors.

Thanks!

Thank you for all the thoughtful and informative replies!
A lot to consider and I’m not in a particular hurry.
I do keep finding stuff with the Nox and V3i.
You all may be able to relate though to wanting to try something different.😎

jmaclen: said:
For wet and dry saltwater sand I would also prefer the Nokta Makro Simplex or the Garrett APEX over the AT Max.
Agree 100%.

Both the AT Max and AT Gold have nauseating iron audio however which has virtually no adjustment. The Equinox has much better adjustable iron audio both in volume and pitch. The Garrett APEX and Nokta Makro Simplex also have adjustable iron volume controls that far exceed those on the AT Max for leas than half the price of the AT Max.
Also agree and really enjoy the Iron Audio Volume on my Apex and Relic devices, and didn't care for the AT series unadjustable Iron Audio Volume.

I have used MS-3 Z Lynk headphones and transmitters for years. They are a fantastic alternative to wired headphones. They sound great with the Garrett APEX and I use them with my Garrett 24K, Vanquish 440 and my Minelab pulse induction detectors.
And when my 'loaner' Apex is not in use, even though I like my Killer B Hornet and Wasp corded headphones, I also use the extra set of MS-3 headphones with my transmitter for my three Nokta and two Tesoro detectors. Garrett's Z-Lynk systems and MS-3 headphones and AT Pro-Pointers are put to use most of the time with any brand / model detector I use.

Thank you for all the thoughtful and informative replies!
A lot to consider and I’m not in a particular hurry.
I do keep finding stuff with the Nox and V3i.
You all may be able to relate though to wanting to try something different.
😎
Do think things through, and keep on getting out finding stuff.

Yes, a lot of us will often want to try something different out, but unless it is comfortable, functional and provides decent in-the-fired performance, I don't keep them around very long.

If you were close by I'd invite you to drop by and check out some of what I use, but I guess you'd have to be a 'snow bird' to head down to west-central Texas.:cool3:
:fall-leaves: That seasonal feeling is arriving and it will be time to enjoy detecting more. Come visit.

Monte

Monte
Unless there are multiple Monte’s I believe I’ve been reading your posts since I entered this hobby about 20 years ago give or take a year. Started with a used MXT which I still have.
Anyway I’ve always enjoyed reading what you had to say and appreciate your advice.
Thanks!

Monte
Unless there are multiple Monte’s I believe I’ve been reading your posts since I entered this hobby about 20 years ago give or take a year. Started with a used MXT which I still have.
Anyway I’ve always enjoyed reading what you had to say and appreciate your advice.
Thanks!
I'm certain there are others out there who share my name, but Yes, I am 'the' Monte who's been contributing on various Forums since '96 when I got a computer. Just doing what i feel I can to contribute what might be helpful for some.

'Thank You' for the kind words and I wish you the best of success on your next forays afield.

'Monte'

Thanks!

The Garrett AT Max is for sure a deep one. Not sure I would pick it for a saltwater beach though.

Back
Top Bottom