Something still in the hole?

onebadman

I learned something today.

Recheck the hole.

Stopped at my local little league that Ive been finding clad in since I started metal detecting. Got a quarter signal on a hole I had previously dug when I first started detecting. Circle of dead grass. (Another mistake). Opened the hole back up and found three quarters. Obviously I had found something there before and didn't take the time to recheck the hole.

I then stopped by a local park and hit a dime signal near the surface. Found it rechecked and another dime. That little hole had eight dimes in it.

Moral to the story. Recheck the hole.

Attachments

• hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 697
  • 8x.jpg
    8x.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 682
Yep, that happens. A couple times I have found a shallow clad coin, then swung over the hole and found an old coin 4-5 inches deeper. Eight dimes is good, wait til you get multiple silver coins in one hole. :grin:

Yep, that happens. A couple times I have found a shallow clad coin, then swung over the hole and found an old coin 4-5 inches deeper. Eight dimes is good, wait til you get multiple silver coins in one hole. :grin:

Oh yeah, multiple SILVERS will get your attention!:yes:

Looks like one of those curse 'd 65 Rosie's in the group. Between quarters and dimes I'll bet I've dug a dozen 65 s this year. The indignity, the injustice. The things we suffer for the sake of Mding. No matter, a coinspill is always a cool dig and a silver spill is always one to remember. I rechecked the hole on Friday and was rewarded with a second Barber dime in the hole so yes always recheck, and rescan. Better targets can be lying deeper. Good luck, Mark

More than one coin in the same hole is commonly called a "coin spill" and they're relatively common with clad coins.
I can remember my personal best for each coin regarding a spill......
Pennies.....35 in one hole Nickels....2 Dimes....7 Quarters 10
Dollar coins.....2 I've never found more then one half dollar in the same hole
and I'm still waiting for multiple silvers.
Good luck to you finding more coin spills.

Early on I scored an Civ. Eagle button after a recheck from a found hot rock. Not only do I check and recheck with the pointer, but once the plug is filled and I stand up, I make another pass over it with the detector before I start walking. Next time hopefully its all silver!

Yup always double check your plugs, also the immediate area. I found 17 total silvers earlier this year, I think 13 if them were in one hole and the rest was in another hole a few feet away.

Attachments

• 20210426_115408.jpg
    20210426_115408.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 460
  • 20210426_164203.jpg
    20210426_164203.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 447
Seems so obvious now. But when I first started I was amazed one coin would be in a hole. Never would've thought more could be hidden.

I will be going over areas Ive already hit just to check.

Yup always double check your plugs, also the immediate area. I found 17 total silvers earlier this year, I think 13 if them were in one hole and the rest was in another hole a few feet away.

Wow I must have missed that post! Any idea what the deal was? I bet that got your blood pumping!

OMG what a spill! If I ever find anything like that I hope I took my BP pills earlier, lol.

Wow I must have missed that post! Any idea what the deal was? I bet that got your blood pumping!

As Tom in CA would say, "it was a come to papa moment" :laughing: random spill in the middle of the woods, I just double checked some pictures, I found 6 silver dimes and 2 old nickels in the first hole, and a few feet away was the rest. The photo above is the half stacked on top, the stander just below that, and 3 dimes under that. It was super cool to be able to get that picture, I'll never forget it!

Great finds! Not to hijack this thread but it pays to double check the holes and plugs. In July I got 83 coins and and a ring out of one hole.

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_2432.jpg
    IMG_2432.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 394
Great finds! Not to hijack this thread but it pays to double check the holes and plugs. In July I got 83 coins and and a ring out of one hole.

Steve

That's crazy! I had a 10-12 wheat spill up against a sidewalk this year and wasn't a silver one there. There was actually at least one steel cent mixed in. The only time I for sure I dug a steel wheat cent.

I'd estimate and say that for every 15-20 holes I dig to get a coin, 1 of the holes is a coin spill.

Back
Top Bottom