1764 two reale, 1800 half reale, buttons, etc...

Tom_in_CA

Elite Member
Got out with some buddies over the weekend, to hit a few "back pocket sites", explore, etc....

Not caring to bother ourselves with boring large cents, or pesky colonial coppers, we go straight for the reales and Phoenix buttons :cool3: :sissyfight:

At the first site (which has given up Spanish/Mexican period coins and buttons in the past), I got a 1764 2 reale . The "globe" style back gave way to the pillar style back, in 1771. So for us here in CA to get the earlier globe style is very difficult. I was quite happy with this. Any numismatic buffs, with a world-book, to help ID this ? thanx !

Also at this site I got 2 small (cuff) phoenix buttons, a 1-piece navy button, a gilt button, and a bird-cage style cufflink .

Attachments

• buttons.jpg
    buttons.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 562
  • jesse's pix of my coin 2.jpg
    jesse's pix of my coin 2.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 573
  • jesse's pix of my coin 1.jpg
    jesse's pix of my coin 1.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 566
And here is pix after an attempt at spit & tin-foil trick (I wasn't too happy with the results) :

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 592
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 584
My friend "Dave" from southern CA was with us. He scored a nice 1800 half reale ! (The ground was much kinder to his coin , than to mine !)

Attachments

• dave2 9-17-21 s.y..jpg
    dave2 9-17-21 s.y..jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 567
  • dave 9-17-21 s.y..jpg
    dave 9-17-21 s.y..jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 560
Another friend "Jesse" was with us. He scored an excellent condition phoenix button. Small cuff #26. His 2nd phoenix button ever :

Attachments

• jesse pb.jpg
    jesse pb.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 555
some of the age indicators from this site :

Attachments

• me.jpg
    me.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 560
then off to another site, of similar age, that likewise has given up reales and buttons in the past. We only managed some gilt buttons, but plenty of age indicator teasers. Powder flask (both sides), stirrup, super early green blacksmithed copper, etc..... (Also some nuisance post 1900 stuff )

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 553
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 550
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 549
The next day, we went to a spot where research shows us that some dude homestead in about 1850-ish to 1880-ish. The spot is FULL of targets to choose from. Scores of rimfires, a candlestick finger ring, camp lead globs, lantern parts,

Attachments

• (4).jpg
    (4).jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 546
  • (3).jpg
    (3).jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 552
  • (5).jpg
    (5).jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 541
  • (6).jpg
    (6).jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 550
I mean I guess it's an ok haul without coppers...freaking awesome finds. Would love a powder flask!

Nice mix of relics Tom, and I think your reale turned out just fine. Great hunt guys.

Nice mix of relics Tom, and I think your reale turned out just fine. Great hunt guys.

Thanx Fredneck !

You guys did great and nice to see a couple of California Reales and the buttons. Congrats!

Hey, you and I have a big job on our shoulders to keep up the CA md'rs image, eh ? :laughing:

Nice work Tom. Is that a spur I see in there? ...

Yes. I had said "stirrup". But I guess "spur" is the more correct term for this part of the appendage. In a bit of a pretzel shape. I know they're more common in your G.R. hunting stomping grounds, but I've only every found a half dozen of these in my time. Inc. some from Nevada stage stops. Luv finding those !

Congrats on the relics and Reales!

Wow that was a nice weekend!

Steve

thanx guys !

Congratulations on the fantastic finds Tom. I'm always interested to see what new things you've turned up. Really wish this area (PNW) had some older history. We feel really lucky if we can turn up any later dated seated coin, let alone early American silver, colonials or Spanish silver. Keep it coming.

C’mon man…MORE Reales??:lol: It’s interesting to see the progression of the hobby in some people and the types of finds that come from different parts of the country…and different types of sites. Start with clad, wind up not settling for less than Reales. That’s going for the gusto there mister! Incredible stuff as always Tom, fine show!

Back
Top Bottom