• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

USB microscope

For what a detectorist needs, the magnifying glass is ideal. It's quick, cheap, efficient and needs no setting up.

I believe there is a thread in regards to USB microscopes and images showing how they perform.

Here is a shorter one I started. Besides the link to the one I bought there are two other links to different ones by users. There is a longer thread somewhere with lots of images that may help you decide on a model.

Most of the times I just use a loupe, but to post an image sometimes the USB microscope is the way to go.

Now, POSTING an image on a forum is, in my humble opinion, NOT the way to go.

I once did a test on a USB digital microscope (for a hobby magazine) that was considered by many professionals as the 'best in the world'. I was impressed.
If you look at at the signature under the coin, you can get an idea of the magnification possible.

usbCOINScopy.jpg

I found that I was unable to take a full picture of the coin with a USB microscope - it is designed to take very close-up pictures. Period.

Hence the first image of the penny was produced with the aid of a scanner (it was subsequently very close cropped). The second shows minimum microscope magnification and the last picture is taken at maximum zoom.

I always use a scanner for posting coins and artefacts on forums and is the way to go. Even bulky objects ... You may care to take a look here:
http://www.johnwinter.net/jw/2012/01/simple-scanning-for-detectorists/

Well thanks a lot people, now I need something that I didn't even know existed a few hours ago! :mad:

Rseasy1, I use a usb microscope and I do very good with it. The one you looked at was a little expensive. If you try amazon.com I think you can get a better price. The one I have is the Celestron 10x-150x digital microscope. I don't remember what I paid but I think it was around 50 bucks.

You can take pictures of coins if you place the microscope base on a stack of cd's then try to focus. That's what I do and get good results. I hope this helps.

Here are a few examples

Attachments

• 185.jpg
    185.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 517
  • 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 504
  • 137.jpg
    137.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 517
  • 246.jpg
    246.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 509
I use the Celestron Model#44302-A With the 2 Meg Cam and 10x - 150x magnification. Got this one off ebay. Takes nice pics.

Something I've had for a long time is referred to as a pocket microscope.
Something similar to this one
http://www.amazon.com/Carson-MM-200-Micromax-60X-100X-Microscope/dp/B000P8AUMU/ref=pd_cp_p_2
They're easy to use, and do a fairly good job, of course nothing like one of those high dollar USB Micros. But if you should loose it or it breaks it will only cost you about 12 bucks or so to replace it. I've seen them go for a little more and a little less.
I use mine when I'd go gold panning, you never know what you might find and want to take a closer and more personal look at

Back
Top Bottom