• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Funny Things that Happen While Detecting

Not extremely funny, but rather an exercise in poor judgment.

I was being followed around by a gaggle of kids, 6-7 to be more precise. Every time I'd stop to dig, the kids would say "Can I have it? Can I have it?" to witch I would reply "No." It was actually kind of cute. 30 minutes later they're still with me, and now the cuteness is wearing thin, so I get a hit, that I'm certain is a pop top. I tell them "Right there" and point to the area I have pinpointed "It's right near the surface, no more then 2". They ask to use my digging tool and I tell them no, and explain that I don't want them to get hurt using my knife. I go on MD'ing and they return after about 20 minutes they still hadn't found the "target?. I get a solid quarter signal, and in a last ditch effort to free myself of the endless begging, I say "Ok, who ever guesses what this is, can have it. Then You guys will have to leave." One lucky little boy about 8 years old jumps with joy when he receives his shiny, well dull and dirty quarter. The others leave and I'm happily by myself detecting again.

I return the next day to finish off the soccer field and I notice a large hole, check that, a freaking crater dug right into the field line of the soccer field. The digging tools fashioned from tree limbs that were yanked down and stripped of leaves lay strewed about in and around the crater.

I guess I'll never point out an area to band of over zealous little coal miners again. Next time I'll take the time out to help them dig the target up correctly. :lol:

Well I ended up digging some dirt from a newly planted tree and trying to fill in the crater left by my bad decision to let the kids occupy their time locating a pop-top.

recently had a run at me in by a wild boar Not Blummin funny,a good old ruin saved my arsssssssss,waist high

Leaf blower!

:lol: Epi hunter that is too funny! From now on I'll tell people I'm hunting leaves on the beach with my leaf blower :lol: As for some peoples complaints about pesky little kids....well, so far they have been lucky for me. I'm a new, dedicated MDer for the past 2 months. My first big find was when a little boy was questioning me about what I was doing, as I turned to answer him my MD beeped. It was a really heavy, fancy sterling chain made in Italy. Today, a little boy asked me how I know when I find something, so I put the detector over my scoop so he could hear the beep....nothing, no sound!! Turns out my coil plug was out. No wonder I didn't even find a pop cap in over an hour!

I was out hunting a park when a group of kids walked past and one of them said something about me searching for treasure. The the kid decided to be funny and yelled, "I don't there is any treasure in there." I just smiled knowing this kid didn't even have the first clue of what metal detecting was. But the funniest thing was later on i found a what i believe is a replica of pirate money. I think it is a fake gold color with wierd markings. So i guess you could consider that treasure in a way lol:D .

Another story I have is I was at a park mding when three deer ran my way. one of them ran straight at me. So instict i stuck out my detector and it ran around me. it was so close i could have touched it.

Kids and Treasure

I was detecting at the farm where my girlfriend keeps her horses. The property was next to some civil war battle locations so I thought relics galore. Unfortunately the property was new and had been heavily forested up until recently. All I was digging was modern beer caps next to the fence lines.

Anyhow a group of kids came up and asked if I was searching for treasure. "You bet!" I said. I let each of the three kids dig their own beer bottle cap. The best part was that the one little boy proudly displayed his Corona Light beer cap and explained to the other kids how it was 200 years old from the early 1800's and worth a lot of money. I couldn't help but laugh. I can only imagine the parents faces when their kids come in the house carrying old rusted beer caps and yelling about buried treasure. :lol:

Beer caps!!!

Beer caps are breaking my back, gonna build a house out of beer caps and aluminum flip tops :p But the kids always bring me luck. Every time, without fail, when a little kid starts following me around I dig up something cool. On the other hand, the KIDS are doing quite well without an MD. Just this week alone one boy dug up WWII shells and a little girl dug up an old gold rouge pot. Think I'll sell my MD, get a shovel and start digging. :?:

Good luck to you all from Sunny Florida.........

I was detecting in my back yard and my next door neighbor ( an older lady) told me that she liked my weed eater!!!:lol:

I actually had an Elderly Gentleman come back after asking me what i was doing(detecting at a lot where some old houses had been raised)and throw a very nice Wheat Penny in my path so i could find it.What a nice guy huh.:D

I actually had a man come up to me and tell me that it was illegal to dig near the sidewalk and that i was supposed to call the power company for permission to dig there. Another time i had an 11 yr old tell me in a park that what i was doing was illegal and that he was going to call the police,so i offered him the use of my cell phone and he declined. Well mannered children are a joy and i like being able to show them that i do in fact find things with my detector. I once had a little girl say to her friends. (HEY LOOK! SHE HAS ONE OF THOSE METAL EXTRACTORS!!):lol:

I was in a park a few days ago (found 12 pennies total :(), metal detecting near the sidewalk, and a man came up and said in a kind voice, "You are looking for sidewalk?" I thought that was strange, and said, "No, I'm looking for old coins and stuff" and he said, "Oh... I thought you couldn't see and were looking for sidewalk." I guess he thought my metal detector was a blind person's cane :spin:

throwing clad...

I'm not sure if it's me or what, but when I am out hunting, if there is a gentlemen over 50, he will ALWAYS approach, ask a few questions, then reach in his pocket and flip out a quarter and say "find that"... So, I scan the coin, pick it up, and put it in my pocket.....LOL!
( I think they're surprised that I keep the coin)

HH!
tvic

Some here in Germany go searching at night with flashlights because they fear the police and curious people with their handys calling the police :D :lol:
If they try to convice the landsowner for a permission to search on his ground
the results are not always satifactory.A good tip would be (they say:lol: ) is carrying a pair of old coins in the pocket and show them as recently found :p
MfG.
Miguel

I had a similar experience a long time ago, hunting the schoolyard field of a very old school. I had the obligatory gaggle of lillun's following me around and asking questions, etc.... anyway, I hunted, found stuff, and left...

I go back the next morning, and to my horror, just about every plug I had dug the day before was now upside down next to the hole...

It looked like a battlefield... I was mortified, and spent my afternoon repairing plugs instead of detecting.

But, that all comes with the territory. It was a great school to hunt.

Not extremely funny, but rather an exercise in poor judgment.

I was being followed around by a gaggle of kids, 6-7 to be more precise. Every time I'd stop to dig, the kids would say "Can I have it? Can I have it?" to witch I would reply "No." It was actually kind of cute. 30 minutes later they're still with me, and now the cuteness is wearing thin, so I get a hit, that I'm certain is a pop top. I tell them "Right there" and point to the area I have pinpointed "It's right near the surface, no more then 2". They ask to use my digging tool and I tell them no, and explain that I don't want them to get hurt using my knife. I go on MD'ing and they return after about 20 minutes they still hadn't found the "target?. I get a solid quarter signal, and in a last ditch effort to free myself of the endless begging, I say "Ok, who ever guesses what this is, can have it. Then You guys will have to leave." One lucky little boy about 8 years old jumps with joy when he receives his shiny, well dull and dirty quarter. The others leave and I'm happily by myself detecting again.

I return the next day to finish off the soccer field and I notice a large hole, check that, a freaking crater dug right into the field line of the soccer field. The digging tools fashioned from tree limbs that were yanked down and stripped of leaves lay strewed about in and around the crater.

I guess I'll never point out an area to band of over zealous little coal miners again. Next time I'll take the time out to help them dig the target up correctly. :lol:

Well I ended up digging some dirt from a newly planted tree and trying to fill in the crater left by my bad decision to let the kids occupy their time locating a pop-top.

A funny thing happened while looking for MDing Sites.

I went to the Libary to copy some old County Platte Maps of Townships.
Discovered some Vanished Settlements and was following up on them.

Another older man and I were sharing the Copier, I left a copy behind.
He brought it over and gave it to me and asked what I was Researching.

I explained, he smiled and said he has already done the Research.
He continued to point out several answers I was in search of.

After finishing his Family Geneology, he decided to Research old Schools,
Cheese Factories and Lumber Mills in our County from the mid 1800s.

He was a MDers walking Magazine full of information, Photos, Newspaper
Articles, notes he gathered from old people and, has walked on the Sites.

Just eager to share this information for free, I was stuned. I didn't have enough change to make any more copies, so we exchanged numbers.

He suggested I Hunt the old Mills, I'm sure to find things there. The old Schools he thought might be good also, but most are occupied today.

He talked about how the promient Farmers would move the Schools.
Maps don't tell you that kinda stuff he said, the old people do.

So much for that Winter Project, better make that call now.
I don't think I can find half of what he has found out already.

Still got some Swinging time before the Snow starts to fly...

lucky....maybe once i get my metal detector i shall go to the local "old folks" homes and see what i can find out.

I dont hunt parks or crowded public areas very offten and when i do i try to stay away from people..simply because people annoy me lol
i did take a co worker metal detecting for the first time and he found an iron "plate" with the letter "Y" in the center,kinda looked like a buckle but must have been some sort of plate on the side of a house since it still had 2 rusty nails in it,he asked what it was and i put on a show sayin "oh man!!!! ive been wanting to find one of them forever!! he started to get excited and said "well what is it" i said a civil war belt buckle!! then he got really excited and said "whats the "Y" meen?" i told him it stood for yankee and was a union buckle...well he was happy for the rest of the hunt until on the way home i told him i was messin with him and i didnt know exactly what that rusty piece of iron he had wrapped up in a towel in his back pack was...he wasnt to happy at first but laughed about it later on.

My answer to the dumb question.

I just got into this hobby a few weeks ago and love it. I lost my right hand in Viet Nam in 68, you know were I'm going with this. My answer is
" I lost my hand on this beach by a shark attack and I'm hoping he coughed up the ring I had on it" Total silence now follows.

Back
Top Bottom