possible change in the metal content of future coins

Not sure how much that will affect the settings on diffrent detectors on modern clad but worth checking out when the new coins get in circulation.

Just glanced at that article, sure hope they don't go with this option:

Three other potential alternatives under consideration for the 5-cent, dime, quarter dollar and half dollar are:
➤ C99750T-M — potentially seamless, developed jointly with the National Institutes of Standards and Technology, at 50.75 percent copper, 14 percent nickel, 33 percent zinc and 2.1 percent manganese.

........as that would turn nickels, dimes, quarters, and half dollars into Zincolns too ! :laughing:

Just glanced at that article, sure hope they don't go with this option:

Three other potential alternatives under consideration for the 5-cent, dime, quarter dollar and half dollar are:
➤ C99750T-M — potentially seamless, developed jointly with the National Institutes of Standards and Technology, at 50.75 percent copper, 14 percent nickel, 33 percent zinc and 2.1 percent manganese.

........as that would turn nickels, dimes, quarters, and half dollars into Zincolns too ! :laughing:

If they use zinc the coin will disintegrate.:no:

Very interesting article, thanks for posting. Maybe with the older coins still in circulation it won't affect it as bad as I fear for some time, but eventually it will when the coins from the 60s to today aren't in circulation as commonly as they are now.

I still dig plenty of pre 82 cents, and its been 39 years since they have been minted. So if that rule holds true with the clad of today, we would still have at least 40 years for clad coins of today to be found pretty common. maybe even longer as I routinely dig copper cents from the 60s, and 70s too. Wheaties too although not as frequent as the memorial cents.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yeah no zinc please or clad won’t exist, OR all us detector folk will be putting the GOV to the test trying to redeem buckets of half eaten coins :lol:

Keep using copper and get rid of the damned pennies and nickels. They're already useless and worth less every day. Hell if nothing else then use aluminum. It's better than zinc, light weight, cheap and last forever. (At least can slaw seems to)

With increasing inflation you can bet the metal content will be worth much MORE than the # printed on it. In a few years time even the felix pennies will be worth much more than a penny and might cause a "change shortage"

edit: MORE

Last edited:
With increasing inflation you can bet the metal content will be worth much less than the # printed on it. In a few years time even the felix pennies will be worth much more than a penny and might cause a "change shortage"
With increased inflation the metal content will be much MORE than the number printed on it and probably already is for the nickel and penny. It's past time to quit making and using pennies and nickels.

With increased inflation the metal content will be much MORE than the number printed on it and probably already is for the nickel and penny. It's past time to quit making and using pennies and nickels.

sounds better than making sound money.. I mean that would require responsibilty :laughing:

We could make coins out of recycled plastic bottles, they would be eternal.

Agreed. I'd kill off the dime too. The American public pretty much hates pocket change. They don't want the dollar coins, and did they ever use halves? Only the quarter shows any significant acceptance. Changing the alloys reduces the costs slightly, seems like a joke solution.

Machines that take coins will still take quarters, no alterations needed. Stores will eventually change their registers to "round up" or "round down." They have time, the existing coinage won't just disappear instantly if they stop making it.

$2 coins, $5 coins, $10 coins, does the public want them? I know we do, lol!
But coin-op machine vendors probably don't, and certainly not "phased in" so they have to alter their machines multiple times to stay current. Lots of machines take bills now...but not all...

Bills are relatively cheap to produce...but don't last as long as coins, I wonder which works out as a "better value" in the long run...?

What size would they make new coins? Have to be new and unique -- can't have a US Nickel working as a fake $10 coin...needs to be visually *and* tactilely unique... Surely someone at the mint has already figured out what they'll do if they ever decide to do it...

Agreed. I'd kill off the dime too. The American public pretty much hates pocket change. They don't want the dollar coins, and did they ever use halves? Only the quarter shows any significant acceptance. Changing the alloys reduces the costs slightly, seems like a joke solution.

Machines that take coins will still take quarters, no alterations needed. Stores will eventually change their registers to "round up" or "round down." They have time, the existing coinage won't just disappear instantly if they stop making it.

$2 coins, $5 coins, $10 coins, does the public want them? I know we do, lol!
But coin-op machine vendors probably don't, and certainly not "phased in" so they have to alter their machines multiple times to stay current. Lots of machines take bills now...but not all...

Bills are relatively cheap to produce...but don't last as long as coins, I wonder which works out as a "better value" in the long run...?

What size would they make new coins? Have to be new and unique -- can't have a US Nickel working as a fake $10 coin...needs to be visually *and* tactilely unique... Surely someone at the mint has already figured out what they'll do if they ever decide to do it...

I guarantee you stores will conveniently price items to round up. Just another way to tap a few more cents out of your pocket. It will add up.

Back
Top Bottom