Harbor freight Pin Pointer Problem

mrbensteele

So, i dont know if its so much a problem or normal after some use, but lately when my pinpointer is positioned upside down like when pointing into a hole it goes off even if no metal is present, so i have to turn it way down. I cant figure out why its doing it when i never did before. All i have done Mod wise is adding a lighted switch and the micro motor. I did get it wet but the water never made it into the box, an o-ring kept it out so i dont think moisture was the cause. Has anyone else had this problem?

the default max level is just past the 90% point on mine, usually you simply turn it slightly down but the bug im getting, if flipped pointing down i must turn sensitivity about a quarter from 0, generally pointing right at the side seam of the case

It doesnt change how it works, it still works well but id like to be able to up the sensitivity beyond a quarter turn from "0"

Also in some instances it will detect metal, then it wont. All i have to do it turn it off and back on, is this common?

I think your doing something wrong.

The switch on the side is not a volume control. Its a sensitivty setting. I usually have to set the sensitivty every holes by adjusting that switch just below sound off.

I have had the centech just sound off and not adjust in the extreme heat we have. But they have a lifetime warrenty. For $17.00 dollars with out the coupon, its a good deal till you can get something made for the hobby.

Best of luck hope this helps. Please post pics of the mods, sounds like you did a good job.

I didnt say it was a volume control, im aware of what a potentiometer does and how it works. What I said was, if i tune it just below it goes off, roughly at the 90 degree position, where it should work fine, it uncontrollably goes off if flipped upside down. I have to turn it most of the way down so it can be used properly. It didnt happen before even after my mods, its recent, maybe days.

It's not really sensitivity either, it's the threshold, where you set for it to sound off or be silent.

Inside the box, is a tiny little blue component, with a very small brass screw... It's for making a more course adjustment, like the knob outside the box. It's pretty delicate, and can break easy, if you try to turn it past the stops (personal experience). Set the knob about halfway, adjust the screw on the little blue box, to set the trip point. Shouldn't take more than a 1/4 either direction.

The Centech doesn't like hot climates much, mine worked a whole lot better, after I adjusted it internally. Would like to get the thermistor to install, but really hate paying more for shipping, than the part I need. I was going to order some from Digikey, but the other item I was interested in was out of stock, didn't want a hanging back order.

the blue box is the main control as people have said before, im just a bit worried ill ruin it. the pointer may have been less than 20 but thats 20 i cant easily spare.

Do you think by installing a stronger switch it might cause issues. the switch is rated to use 12 volts according to the radioshack package, but it turns on and works fine with the pointer. also the copper ring doesnt effect whether or not it sets off while upside down.

picture.php

I think what he is describing could be a short that is caused by the position change. Maybe a rub in the four wires going into the wand? Any movement, even the slightest, in the wand could cause problems if it chaffed two of those together. Tilt the box and the wires touch again...beep and wiggle. Going into the box you can disturb things. :shock:

I bought one that had the same problem, couldn't turn up the sens. But less than a 1/4 turn , I returned it and put the $ in my clad jar to save for a pro pointer. Junk.

Seriously, that little blue pot will fix your problem. It's a course adjustment, you don't have to turn the screw much.

Got a hunch, that I'll be going back the Centech pretty soon. The Garrett wouldn't stop beeping again, until turned off, and back on. Happened three times today. Unless they extended the warranty last time I sent it in, it's past being covered. Don't think it will matter, and they will take care of it again, and again...

I been having the same problem..It doesn't matter which way I turn anything just beeps. Drive me crazy and mine is new...3rd one for me.. but only paid for one.

I been having the same problem..It doesn't matter which way I turn anything just beeps. Drive me crazy and mine is new...3rd one for me.. but only paid for one.

I went through six before I gave up on harbor freight junk. Took me that long to realize when I was taking the broken ones back they were just restocking them. This happened at not one, but two different stores. It's worth it to save up for a decent pointer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If i try the blue box, would i turn it up or down to stop the issue, someone said turn it up and no more than 1/4 turn from its beginning point, is that right?

When you turn the knob to halfway, it's going to beep/vibrate. Just turn that screw , slowly, gently one direction or the other. Stop after turning it 90 degrees, or if the beeping stops, or you feel any resistance. Should turn smooth. If the beep don't stop, turn it the other way. Go slow, it's a course adjustment, and you want to leave it where it just stops the beep.

While you got it opened up, check your coil wires, and secure them. Hot glue worked on mine. Didn't need to, but was gluing the motor and switch in place, figured it couldn't hurt.

I realize these aren't for everyone. Don't think it's possible for the factory to adjust them to work anywhere, would expect much for the price. I just happen to be into electronics some, and really didn't mind opening it up.

Friend at work want to borrow my truck, to move some stuff. Just swap vehicles for the weekend... Changed his mind, when he found out it wasn't an automatic. Think it sort of the same for some with electronics, if they can't simply push a button, they don't know what to do with it...

Back
Top Bottom