• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Just about to pull the trigger on a new hookah

Ron 71

Forum Supporter
I'm hoping maybe some friendly members here can give me a few pointers on safety, I'm new to diving and don't want to overlook anything.
Also I could use some advise on the other gear I may need, I assume I will need a weight belt to keep me on the bottom but will I need say a vest, wet suit, swim fins?
I will be diving in mostly clean clear freshwater lakes but I don't want to rule out ponds and swimming holes where visibility may be a little worse.
I don't really expect to dive beyond say 15 feet or so and a lot of dives (especially getting started) will only be maybe 6 to 12 feet.
The hookah I'm interested in is made by a Florida co. called Gator gill and is a 12 volt system that supports two divers, I'm very anxious to get started but want to make sure I have absolutely every piece of gear I may need.
Thank you all in advance for your help, I appreciate it!

I'm hoping maybe some friendly members here can give me a few pointers on safety, I'm new to diving and don't want to overlook anything.
Also I could use some advise on the other gear I may need, I assume I will need a weight belt to keep me on the bottom but will I need say a vest, wet suit, swim fins?
I will be diving in mostly clean clear freshwater lakes but I don't want to rule out ponds and swimming holes where visibility may be a little worse.
I don't really expect to dive beyond say 15 feet or so and a lot of dives (especially getting started) will only be maybe 6 to 12 feet.
The hookah I'm interested in is made by a Florida co. called Gator gill and is a 12 volt system that supports two divers, I'm very anxious to get started but want to make sure I have absolutely every piece of gear I may need.
Thank you all in advance for your help, I appreciate it!

If you're new to diving, do a dive course first. It'll teach you the safety you need to know and you'll have a great time.

Gear wise I reccomend a wetsuit, dive hood, hard sole boots, rubber quick release belt for dive weights, gloves, neo prene cement for fixing all of the above, low volume mask with snorkel, catch bag for rubbish and depending on what kind of detector you're using a set of vented ear plugs.
Because you aren't going deep you don't need a dive watch, but you will need a way to keep track of time for you don't run out of battery on the hookah, and don't get greedy and push the time limits because you can drown at any depth.
I also use a dry bag I hook onto my hookah and carry my car keys in it and lunch if it's a long session

What are your plans for setting this unit up on in the water?
It appears to be heavy with the battery.

Yeah, I'm guessing the 20lbs is without the battery. It sounds heavy and a lot like my power dive.
I use the nemo which is only 6kgs with battery, that's the killer function of it and why I use it all the time while my power dive unit is gathering dust.

If you're new to diving, do a dive course first. It'll teach you the safety you need to know and you'll have a great time.

Gear wise I reccomend a wetsuit, dive hood, hard sole boots, rubber quick release belt for dive weights, gloves, neo prene cement for fixing all of the above, low volume mask with snorkel, catch bag for rubbish and depending on what kind of detector you're using a set of vented ear plugs.
Because you aren't going deep you don't need a dive watch, but you will need a way to keep track of time for you don't run out of battery on the hookah, and don't get greedy and push the time limits because you can drown at any depth.
I also use a dry bag I hook onto my hookah and carry my car keys in it and lunch if it's a long session
Thanks for the reply LJS! This was just the type of information I’m looking for,
I do plan to take the scuba training but with the costs of the hookah and all the gear I may need some more time, I’m sure they fill up quick in the summer as well. I plan to start out in about 6 feet of water and be as careful as I can.
The dive watch wasn’t something I even thought about so I’m glad I asked and will definitely not push my limits. Do you have a favorite spot to buy gear or should I just search around?
Thanks again for taking the time to help!

I was planning to use a towable float, It is considerably heavier than the Nemo but being a bit over weight and a former smoker I was looking for better air output, Being a noob to the whole thing maybe I got it wrong but I can always switch to the Nemo if it is the way to go. The float I was looking at is here:
7F6AB3AE-C44E-4FDB-A8A0-0D1505C3684A.jpg

Maybe a Pony air tank bottle? You never know, when you exhale your air out & the battery quits. The pony bottle might give you the 2 plus minutes you need to surface.

The new hookah is officially on its way, I can’t wait to get started!
It’s coming up from Florida so I don’t think it will be long in transport but I still need plenty of other stuff before I hit the water.
I will first need a float and a battery just to get it on the lake.
Thank you all for the suggestions, I will be ordering most of these items right away but may need some time to be completely fitted.
Knowing for some time now that I would be doing this I purchased a Tesoro tiger shark from a forum member here and fitted it with an Anderson dive shaft,
I also bought a single freq Anfibio for its ability to get beyond 10 feet.
Not to mention the AT Pro, Equinox, and MX Sport, all capable to 10 feet so I should be good in that regard anyway.
Thank you guys again for the help and a place to share in my excitement.

When most people start diving, they tend to breathe way too much air. Breathing underwater is actually pretty loud and can prevent you from hearing weaker signals. Practice slowing down and regulating your breathing. It really helps.

Ron, I'll be starting in my pool in the next couple weeks. I got the nemo earlier this year. I can feel your excitement, as I'm also itching to get started. The hardest part for me was acquiring all the accessories, and I'm sure I'll be needing more that I forgot about. Got a decent mask, dive knife, dive watch, weight belt, gloves... still need a wetsuit, dive boots, hood, and probably more. I plan on getting certified eventually, just want to make sure I'm going to stick with it first. Let me know when you feel comfortable getting in the water, maybe we can link up. Not a bad idea to dive with others, especially being newbs. Good luck, keep us posted on your progress!

Keep us updated on the new equipment!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220524-165221_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220524-165221_Samsung Internet.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 209
When most people start diving, they tend to breathe way too much air. Breathing underwater is actually pretty loud and can prevent you from hearing weaker signals. Practice slowing down and regulating your breathing. It really helps.

Thanks for the tip scoundrel, I wondered how loud it might be, I will keep this in mind.

Ron, I'll be starting in my pool in the next couple weeks. I got the nemo earlier this year. I can feel your excitement, as I'm also itching to get started. The hardest part for me was acquiring all the accessories, and I'm sure I'll be needing more that I forgot about. Got a decent mask, dive knife, dive watch, weight belt, gloves... still need a wetsuit, dive boots, hood, and probably more. I plan on getting certified eventually, just want to make sure I'm going to stick with it first. Let me know when you feel comfortable getting in the water, maybe we can link up. Not a bad idea to dive with others, especially being newbs. Good luck, keep us posted on your progress!
Jeff that's a great idea starting in the pool, I'm planning to get started at the lake but will keep to about 5' until I feel comfortable going any deeper. I don't have much for gear yet but I hope to have at least what I need to get started soon. I'm looking forward to hunting with you Jeff, I don't mind traveling and I also have the camp on a New Hampshire lake if you don't mind some travel, camp is on the water and there's a lot of other lakes right in the area. It should be a lot of fun this summer, I will keep in touch when I get geared up for sure.
Keep us updated on the new equipment!
LOL! :laughing: It doesn't seem so long ago if I was talkin hookah that's what it would have been :lol:
I will definitely post some pics and updates on progress as I go

The new hookah is officially on its way, I can’t wait to get started!
It’s coming up from Florida so I don’t think it will be long in transport but I still need plenty of other stuff before I hit the water.
I will first need a float and a battery just to get it on the lake.
Thank you all for the suggestions, I will be ordering most of these items right away but may need some time to be completely fitted.
Knowing for some time now that I would be doing this I purchased a Tesoro tiger shark from a forum member here and fitted it with an Anderson dive shaft,
I also bought a single freq Anfibio for its ability to get beyond 10 feet.
Not to mention the AT Pro, Equinox, and MX Sport, all capable to 10 feet so I should be good in that regard anyway.
Thank you guys again for the help and a place to share in my excitement.

Oh man, you're about to find out what those waterproof ratings are worth.
One concept you'll learn is when minelab say it's waterproof to 10feet, they really mean you can drop it in 10 foot of water for 30 minutes.
When hunting, the load on the seals and speaker is dynamic. It's why I use the D2 and excal, they're rated to 60 foot or something.

Oh man, you're about to find out what those waterproof ratings are worth.
One concept you'll learn is when minelab say it's waterproof to 10feet, they really mean you can drop it in 10 foot of water for 30 minutes.
When hunting, the load on the seals and speaker is dynamic. It's why I use the D2 and excal, they're rated to 60 foot or something.

Iv'e definitely heard alot of Equinox drowning talk, I have dunked mine plenty but never had pod more than a few feet under.
It's probably the biggest reason I bought the Tiger Shark, most of my waterproof machines including the Nox are out of warranty too.

Safety First - Hookah Diving

Ron - Anyone else wanting to try this

Things i can add for advice i have learned
I have used a hookah on & off for years
Gasoline motor- i have run out of gas in 20 ft of water-
overweighted myself to stay on the bottom- damn near drown
- lost sense of direction easily underwater- - unable to swim with no fins on
unable to stay on surface with no BC or adequate vest - must pay attention to regulator being attached

Advice
get certified - when i first started i was not
however i knew basics of diving -so i did it for years without
don't recommend doing this without understanding diving [certified]

one of the most important things i learned was how u cannot even kick adequately without those fins- - with any amount of lead on [i did this for years no fins & would always work off of slopes & walk my way back out
don't count on fact u have a float u think u can hang onto & kick your way back to shallow water- it does not work & u will tire quickly - i'm telling u this from experience

BC- Or equivalent Vest -
A must- again something i never used - until i certified for diving
now i have used - i would not even use a hookah again without one
that hookah dies for any reason - u will be in trouble fast -

Reserve tank - is certainly ideal -
again never used - so if engine died in 20ft of water your air stops immediately - do NOT hold your breath - exhale slowly & surface -
yes we are diving shallow but never a good idea to hold your breath when diving underwater-

Learn to use a compass -
i know a guy on this forum that attaches his to his detector
great idea!
it only takes seconds to get turned around underwater - terrain sometimes looks very similar - u could actually be heading out deeper in the lake & certainly not realize it - i have done this many times
without one

Learn not to Panic -
out of air situations - calmly know what u have to do -
lead weight belt - know how to release - it cannot be obstructed-
while underwater practice reaching for - not ditching but practice reaching for it - make damn sure u aren't way overweighting yourself -

Mask -
Had a mask come off underwater- u cannot see anything without that mask
had to calmly put mask on without strap - no way to ascend - no compass - no fins - no BC - clear mask - walk back to shallow- only to find out walking deeper into lake - again learn from these things i'm telling u
i will never go back to this way of reckless hookah diving -

certification teaches u how to locate that reg if it is for any reason pulled out of your mouth - that's why too it needs to be on a harness-

watch out for boats & jet ski -
having been hit by a boat prop - it was the scariest thing i have ever experienced while diving- stay under your float - i only survived this by luck & very quick thinking - i had two 7mm wetsuits on - full 7mm wetsuit & a shorty jacket - 7mm - prop cut through both suits! hit me in arm -- light cut to arm - been my head or leg & i wouldn't be writing this
Never assume there cannot be a boat there - i did & I was wrong! he drove right over top of me - i'm assuming to see what the bubbles were -
i was shallow less than 5ft -no way to even flatten to the bottom- seconds to react knew i had to get my head out of his path - so flipped as quickly as i could to the side with my head - he hammered my arm with the prop -
- had a dive tank on this time - i have the sliced suit as a reminder of just what the hell happened & to always remind me of how costly a mistake that could have been
just imagine had i had a thin or no wetsuit what would have happened to my arm - i wouldn't have one
hopefully i save someone the hard lessons i have learned -

Good Luck out there -
Be Safe -
Get Certified!!

-Utah-

Ron - Anyone else wanting to try this

Things i can add for advice i have learned
I have used a hookah on & off for years
Gasoline motor- i have run out of gas in 20 ft of water-
overweighted myself to stay on the bottom- damn near drown
- lost sense of direction easily underwater- - unable to swim with no fins on
unable to stay on surface with no BC or adequate vest - must pay attention to regulator being attached

Advice
get certified - when i first started i was not
however i knew basics of diving -so i did it for years without
don't recommend doing this without understanding diving [certified]

one of the most important things i learned was how u cannot even kick adequately without those fins- - with any amount of lead on [i did this for years no fins & would always work off of slopes & walk my way back out
don't count on fact u have a float u think u can hang onto & kick your way back to shallow water- it does not work & u will tire quickly - i'm telling u this from experience

BC- Or equivalent Vest -
A must- again something i never used - until i certified for diving
now i have used - i would not even use a hookah again without one
that hookah dies for any reason - u will be in trouble fast -

Reserve tank - is certainly ideal -
again never used - so if engine died in 20ft of water your air stops immediately - do NOT hold your breath - exhale slowly & surface -
yes we are diving shallow but never a good idea to hold your breath when diving underwater-

Learn to use a compass -
i know a guy on this forum that attaches his to his detector
great idea!
it only takes seconds to get turned around underwater - terrain sometimes looks very similar - u could actually be heading out deeper in the lake & certainly not realize it - i have done this many times
without one

Learn not to Panic -
out of air situations - calmly know what u have to do -
lead weight belt - know how to release - it cannot be obstructed-
while underwater practice reaching for - not ditching but practice reaching for it - make damn sure u aren't way overweighting yourself -

Mask -
Had a mask come off underwater- u cannot see anything without that mask
had to calmly put mask on without strap - no way to ascend - no compass - no fins - no BC - clear mask - walk back to shallow- only to find out walking deeper into lake - again learn from these things i'm telling u
i will never go back to this way of reckless hookah diving -

certification teaches u how to locate that reg if it is for any reason pulled out of your mouth - that's why too it needs to be on a harness-

watch out for boats & jet ski -
having been hit by a boat prop - it was the scariest thing i have ever experienced while diving- stay under your float - i only survived this by luck & very quick thinking - i had two 7mm wetsuits on - full 7mm wetsuit & a shorty jacket - 7mm - prop cut through both suits! hit me in arm -- light cut to arm - been my head or leg & i wouldn't be writing this
Never assume there cannot be a boat there - i did & I was wrong! he drove right over top of me - i'm assuming to see what the bubbles were -
i was shallow less than 5ft -no way to even flatten to the bottom- seconds to react knew i had to get my head out of his path - so flipped as quickly as i could to the side with my head - he hammered my arm with the prop -
- had a dive tank on this time - i have the sliced suit as a reminder of just what the hell happened & to always remind me of how costly a mistake that could have been
just imagine had i had a thin or no wetsuit what would have happened to my arm - i wouldn't have one
hopefully i save someone the hard lessons i have learned -

Good Luck out there -
Be Safe -
Get Certified!!

-Utah-
Johnny, Thank you for taking the time to help out, I do want to get certified as soon as I can and I wish I could say I'm not going to try it before certification but I know I will, I do have a great amount of respect for the dangers though and have no plans on diving any deeper than 5-10 feet to start out. The compass is a great idea I hadn't thought of, I doubt I will ever dive very deep but if I do I will definitely be certified first. I appreciate the tips for safety and I will absolutely keep them in mind, The boat props a scary one for sure.

I almost called the FBI i thought you were about to kill a prostitute

With the new light weight battery's now available a Hookah might be the ticket for shallow water diving and metal detecting. Good luck on your adventure and I hope you pay for your equipment first time out.

I have a Nemo and a gas hookah the Nemo regulator makes more noise than the gas.
These are my mods that I did to my detector to work better for me.
I removed the headphone cushions and put velcro hook side on them, they are much louder plus the velcro keeps them in place on my hood, I also did away with the coiled wire on headphones witch reduces the stress of pulling on the headphones.
I added a sifter on my shaft I can take a handful of sand or mud and dump it in for a fast recovery, time is limited on the bottom.
I also have velcro on my shaft where I mount a small knife witch I use to cut fishing line that gets wrapped around your coil it happens a lot.

Attachments

• 1 xcalmod.jpg
    1 xcalmod.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 135
Back
Top Bottom