Funny Things that Happen While Detecting

About 18 years ago my father and i were detecting at a small beach that has been heavily used for many years. We found lots of junk, a few pennies, some nice silver quarters and a bit of small jewelry. My father was getting tired and wanted to sit for a bit so i borrowed the detector and went over to the edge of the little pier/swim platform to check. Almost immediately i had a signal and up popped a HUGE gold mens wedding band. I showed it to my father and he looked at the inscription on the back. It said ( i cant recall the real names so lets call them Fred and Rita ), Fred & Rita 22-07-39.
My father waved across to the older man sitting on his doorstep on the side of the hill and he came down. While the man was walking down, my father told me that his name was Fred and he had a wife named Rita who had died several years ago and this could be his old wedding ring.
When the old man got there, my father asked him what date he got married to Rita. The old guy looked at my father a bit sideways for a min then said " 22 of July." " What you want to know that for?"
My father showed him the ring and proudly said that his son had found it and we would like to return it to you.
The old guy fished in his pocket for his glasses and read the inscription... " yip, that's my old wedding ring." he said.
Then he progressed to hand me $10 for my troubles.

He then tossed the ring in his hand a few times, then with all his strength he threw it as far out into the pond as he could. He walked away muttering to himself saying " I never could stand that damn woman "

My father and i just got into the truck and didnt say a word until about half way home when the laughter started

Last edited:
I went into town the other day to MD some grassy areas next to a side street.
After parking and getting my MD out, I start swinging to see what I can find.
It's at that time that I hear someone yelling.
I take off my earphones and hear a man across the street from me yelling "you have to start it first". I thought he was talking to someone else until he said "Oh, that is a metal detecter......I thought it was a weed wacker".

:lol::lol::lol: I lost it after reading this, too funny.

I was detecting the beach. About 50 feet away is a board walk. It was early in the morning and few people around except for this family of 7 who stood watching me from the boardwalk and pointing in my direction and talking really fast amongst themselves. They were from the far east, Japan, China, not sure. Eventually one of the men came up to me and asked what I was doing. It was very difficult to understand him. I tried to explain about detecting as best I could. Eventually I saw a sense of relief when he finally understood and he called his entire family to come over. I think maybe he thought the beach was contaminated and was afraid to bring his family onto the sand. He had me stand with his family with my detector in the air and took a bunch of pictures. I guess I am plastered all over someone's wall by now or in their scrap book about their American vacation experience.

I was detecting the beach. About 50 feet away is a board walk. It was early in the morning and few people around except for this family of 7 who stood watching me from the boardwalk and pointing in my direction and talking really fast amongst themselves. They were from the far east, Japan, China, not sure. Eventually one of the men came up to me and asked what I was doing. It was very difficult to understand him. I tried to explain about detecting as best I could. Eventually I saw a sense of relief when he finally understood and he called his entire family to come over. I think maybe he thought the beach was contaminated and was afraid to bring his family onto the sand. He had me stand with his family with my detector in the air and took a bunch of pictures. I guess I am plastered all over someone's wall by now or in their scrap book about their American vacation experience.

LOL, maybe they thought there were land mines or something.

I don't know if this is funny or sad! I got my first (really crappy) detector when I was around age 8 or 10 and my dad immediately began referring to it as a "Geiger Counter." Even as a little boy I tried to correct him. I got my next detector, a Whites 6000 DI Pro when I was about 14 or 15 and he continued to call it a Geiger Counter -- which when you're a know it all teen was really irritating! Now that my son and I both have detectors, he's stayed the course. He still regularly asks, "So, what have you found lately with your Geiger Counters?". I don't even try to correct him anymore, but I did have to explain what a Geiger Counter was to my son.

You can tell the people that want to know what you are doing, is that you are listening to the ground radio sounds from metal. (:-O) Most people are interested in what all of us (MD) are doing. Most are nice, and kids are more interesting. I let the kids hear the sounds, and that satisfy them.

martian

Here goes,i was at ocean city md August 2010 ,metal detecting on a sand bar with the Excalibur 2 1000, green machine and yellow head phones,and i went by a father & son,i herd the short stocky shaved head father with tattoo's say to his son,go get the martian,the son was coming toward's me,and i jumped, and said get away from me,then me, and the father, had the big stair down for atleast 3 minutes till i metal detected moving south with my eye's on him,i thought we were going to have the big braw ,but i really didn't want to loose 1400.00 in Md gear,but i am sure if you all would have seen that, you would be rolling,however i didn't think it was funny,if i didn't have that gear,ding ding,and i would bet that father would have thought twice next time :shock:,i have learned alway's expect the unexpected,Happy new year everyone,Earl

not a MD story but funny

Not a MD story but sort of funny,,, My brother drove a Curb master box truck all over the state of Pa. filling cigarette machines. One day he is driving on a four lane country road and its snowing pretty hard, he hits an icy spot loses control and rolls the truck onto its roof across from a gas station. Engine cover popped off and drained the oil all over him and my new jacket. He makes his way out of the truck and crosses the road to call his boss from the gas station (pre Cell phone days) and as he walks into the gas station the old guy working there says to him "have a wreck eh"? my brother answers, "No I always park like that"... :laughing:

I was at the park watching my 2 year old nephew and decided to kill 2 birds with one stone. He would hopefully take a nap as I pushed him around in the stroller, and the free hand sweeps the park. I was all over that park, and it was fairly warm so after a few hours I was soooo ready to go home. I attempted to take him out of the stroller only to find he took his shoes and socks off and they were somewhere out in the park so off I went to hunt for those darn items while everyone watching at me like I was some sort of crazy loon. Not to mention I fell earlier *shakes head*

After I got in the car I was just cracking up. I called my sister and told her that the "prospector" went a huntin' but lost more than she came back with. Oh, I did find the shoes and socks though, there was no way I'd show up without them. My sister would have killed me :P

I have been there, I got permission from a lady I did some work for, so about a week later I was in her yard the neighbor comes over throwing his weight around and said what are you doing? I looked at him and said well the thing I hold in my hand is a metal detector Im treasure hunting. then he said on someone elses property I said yup I have permission would you like to speek to her I just got off the phone with her to let her know Im at her rental to do some detecting, I pulled my cell out and said here push the digits and see what she says, he declined my offer.Then we chatted for a bit and that was that.

I had a lady drive over to where i parked my car so i walked over, she asked if i had lost something. i think she wanted to help me find it?

Haha, lot's of funny storries here :lol: Im going to get up with one when I get a detector (im sure someone is going to ask when they se mee).

was detecting at the abandoned playground and swimming pool area of an apartment complex, no playground equipment left, pool was filled in,just a wooded area with a set of old steps going down the hill into the woods.I had my dog with me and as I went along getting signals and digging targets he was watching me intently,all of a sudden he goes to a spot about 3ft away and begins to sniff the ground,then he starts to dig.I see what he is doing and say OK OK I'll check that hole in a minute. I run the detector over the hole, which is about 8 inches deep by this time and get a signal that almost blew my head phones off.I pull out a nice 1940s tootsie toy,swing back over the hole and big signal again, another one. ended with 3 nice ones out of the one hole. needless to say my buddy got a treat when we got back to the truck. I guess i shouldn't be too surprised as he was 1/2 Bloodhound.

was detecting at the abandoned playground and swimming pool area of an apartment complex, no playground equipment left, pool was filled in,just a wooded area with a set of old steps going down the hill into the woods.I had my dog with me and as I went along getting signals and digging targets he was watching me intently,all of a sudden he goes to a spot about 3ft away and begins to sniff the ground,then he starts to dig.I see what he is doing and say OK OK I'll check that hole in a minute. I run the detector over the hole, which is about 8 inches deep by this time and get a signal that almost blew my head phones off.I pull out a nice 1940s tootsie toy,swing back over the hole and big signal again, another one. ended with 3 nice ones out of the one hole. needless to say my buddy got a treat when we got back to the truck. I guess i shouldn't be too surprised as he was 1/2 Bloodhound.

That's too funny, maybe you should take him more often. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom