View Single Post
Old 11-29-2021, 01:46 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by HeyItsJackM8 View post
Hey guys, I have always been fascinated by ancient artifacts, but I've never had any time to try to find any. I have time now and I want to try metal detecting and see if I can find anything.

I currently live In San Francisco California, and I was wondering if anyone knows any good areas to start at near or at the most a two hour car ride from SF. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I'd suggest trying your own yard first (if you have one that is, SF isn't well known for large private yards )

This will help you to learn to dig a proper plug, and if you screw up (and you will, we all have ) it's your yard. If you don't have a yard, ask friends and family if you can detect their yards, for the same reason. Plus, private yards are great places to find older goodies, since in theory they may not have been detected before.

If you don't have access to private property, then as others have said, check out local parks, but be careful when digging plugs, you don't want to be "that guy" who gives MDers a bad name by leaving holes or poorly dug plugs.

Welcome to the wonderful world of detecting though.

What detector do you have?