finally made it to 40

bobac

Elite Member
I had a permission at a coworker's 1850s property. I had a go at the farther edge of the property where an old house once stood. I believe the last visible aerial shot of the house was 1954 then gone. I really had high hopes for that spot and was hoping I could also get on the existing home's yard. Their family seemed to me like they were kind of protective of the property , so I had hopes that it was never hunted before. The current owner says she has livd in the house for over 50 years and it had never been hunted. That happens to me NEVER......
Anyway. ....a couple days ago I searched the woody area where the older home was located and clearly it has been cleaned out . The only tones remotely worth digging were a couple old style crusty shank buttons, fairly deep , 6 inches or so. Not a single coin. I got called away after an hour and had to end my play time for the weekend.
Today I stopped back and asked if I could search both sites and she said sure.
With minimal expectations I proceeded and as I suspected the CTX was pretty quiet....:(:(
The back yard was insane with large scraps and just screamed everywhere...I did an about face and went back to the front yard where the old Minelab sniffed and sniffed and sniffed....seems like whoever hunted this lot had been quite thorough ....I swept the entire front yard foundation stones to asphalt.....painfully quiet....I finally made my way back toward the driveway and got a scratchy high tone. She did say there was some underground line to watch for .....but this 12-45/46 was pretty recognizable in both directions. There was definitely some interference near by that was occasionally masking the signal....I knocked on the door and had the owner come out to see a possible live recovery of something old and decent. I dug a super tight neat 4 inch wide hole and went down 4-5 and didn't get a hit on the Propointer....took out 2 more inches of dirt and got tone in the side wall.....chipped a little around the wall and silver disk was visible. She saw the disk and was super excited. We pulled it out and prayed for something super old, but it was just a Merc. I told her she could have it. I spent another 45 minutes and could only come up with one more silver, another Merc exact same date , no mint.
That gets me to 40 fty.

Doubt I'll have too much more time to hunt this year ....I have to redo at least half of my roof, close up the pool and get ready for the ugly white stuff.....
I do have a few winter spots I'd like to hunt and have high hopes for , so maybe that 50 could happen for me.....

Attachments

• 20221004_233959.jpg
    20221004_233959.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 287
  • 20221004_234050.jpg
    20221004_234050.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 277
  • 20221004_234023.jpg
    20221004_234023.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 272
  • 20221004_175845.jpg
    20221004_175845.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 278
  • 20221004_233937.jpg
    20221004_233937.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 272
  • 20221004_233921.jpg
    20221004_233921.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 282
Nice job getting to 40 Bob, I've been hunting colonial as of late, so chances at silver are obviously much lower. Good luck for the remainder of 2022!

.... The current owner says she has livd in the house for over 50 years and it had never been hunted. .....

In my 45+ yrs. of this hobby, I've heard that song & dance before : Someone tells you "No one's ever md'd here". Yet I know for a fact that's not true. Because I know the person(s) who hunted it in year's prior. Yet the current person you're talking to simply doesn't know (despite that they're adamant that it's never been hunted).

Explanations vary : 1) perhaps some other family member gave the thumbs up to a prior hunter, and the person you're talking to now simply wasn't aware 2) perhaps an employee at the site (ranch-hand, vendor-employee, etc...) helped themselves or told their cousin Joe that no one will mind 3) perhaps the prior owner of the property said "go ahead" to someone, 4) perhaps persons just helped themselves (in the case of middle-of-nowhere farmland type places).

For example: Our md'ing club got permission to hit a private fraternal lodge type picnic grounds (that dated to the 1930s) for a club hunt. As the caretaker opened the gates, on the appointed day, to let us in to this country picnic site location, he casually mentioned to me : "No one's ever md'd here". I didn't bother correcting him, but I knew for a fact that several of our members had hunted here in years prior. It was easy : The gates are always open before and after events there. Or perhaps you are a legit guest at events that routinely are held there (weddings, dances, BBQ, fundraisers, etc...) And .... you just go a bit early, or hang a bit late.

Anyhow, whenever someone says "no one's ever md'd here" isn't always true, in the cases of places that are screaming "Come metal detect me".

An excellent show and a perfect example of how to be a guest when detecting a permission.

Back
Top Bottom