Headed back to the track

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
Well, I have acquired permission, again, to hunt the old motorcycle track. For those who don't remember, several years back I had gotten permission to hunt a field that once was the site of a motorcycle track used annually for the nationally famous Dodge City 300. A 300 mile race was held between Indian & Harley Davidson motorcycles on a now gone 2 mile track from 1914 to the 1920s.

My buddies and I hunted it back then and found many nice Indian Heads, V-Nickles, heat cents, and relics. Including silver Indian Motorcycle pins dated back to 1914 & 1924. My Uncle used to own the land but sold it when they moved. The old guy I got permission from a month or so later went kind of crazy and we could no longer hunt it. He passed away and his nephew owns it now and gave me permission again.

Thousands of spectators came from all over North America to these nationally known races. No one knew where it was until I used Google Earth and some old photos to locate the field, and us hunting it verified the location was correct. Here is a link to some of the old posts from 2009.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=26173&highlight=Cycle+track

I have some new information now and pictures of a location we have never hunted. Should be interesting. This picture was taken from the Grandstands looking east toward turn #1 which was just after the grandstands in 1915 as they were filming the races. The other pictures are of the crowd in the grandstands.

Attachments

• 1915-looking east from grandstands.jpg
    1915-looking east from grandstands.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 425
  • crowd.jpg
    crowd.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 420
  • bigrace1920.jpg
    bigrace1920.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 413
Not sure how I missed this location the first time around, but it shows all those cars & people in the field just north of where we found all our other goodies.

Here are a few pictures of some of the goodies I found myself in the time we got to hunt it before. The silver Indian Motorcycles pin I donated to a local museum that has a section on the old track.

Attachments

• bestcycletrack.jpg
    bestcycletrack.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 406
  • Indian-Motorcycles.jpg
    Indian-Motorcycles.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 398
  • Indian.jpg
    Indian.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 389
Love this type of post, where folks do research using modern technology, then get the period photos to bring the whole thing to life! Then the metal detector finds awesome period objects to support the research and period photos.

Well done! One of the awesome aspects of this hobby. Thank you for sharing and would love any future updates!

I have some new information now and pictures of a location we have never hunted.

What do you mean by "location we have never hunted"?

Did you find the locations of the grandstands on the first hunt?

Also, do you know if there were any concession stands?

Super cool, I remember reading about prior hunts at that location. I think the pin is my favorite :yes: congrats and good luck on the return trips!

What do you mean by "location we have never hunted"?

Did you find the locations of the grandstands on the first hunt?

Also, do you know if there were any concession stands?

The first picture I found recently as a postcard for sale on eBay. I can tell it was taken from the east end of the grandstands looking northeast towards the first turn. A closer look at the Google image with my 1938 overlay shows we had been hunting the middle and western parts of the grandstands. This picture was taken right about where we park to go hunting but have always headed south. There is a completely different field to the north where all these cars and people are. We have never hunted that area.
As far as the concession stands I have yet to see or read about them so we're not sure where to look. Yet.

I do think my best chance for a US gold coin is here. From what I've read, many of the races were paid in gold.

Well, it's a great site with a lot of ground to cover.

Was there a name for the track?

Gotta love today's technology when researching sites.

I went out this morning for a quick check to verify my locations are right. Took a snapshot of Google Earth live of my location and overlay the image on the older track images. The blue dot is where I was standing. I think I have the right camera view to match the picture. Now I know where to hunt.

Attachments

• 9-30-2022-camview3.jpg
    9-30-2022-camview3.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 359
  • 1915-looking east from grandstands.jpg
    1915-looking east from grandstands.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 357
Great post. Shows the viewer every aspect from : The research, up-to-the-actual finds. Great job !

Wow, one word to describe my feelings: envy.

Great finds and good luck second time around.

Keep us posted!! Lucky there isn't a housing development or big box stores on top of it!

This is very cool. Love the old photos. You could spend years on this site. Can’t wait to see your new finds.

I have an old track near me but it’s been turned in to a sea of houses.😢

This is a aerial photo taken in 1938 I found in the library archives that helped lead me to the track's location. I used it as an image overlay in Google Earth. In 1938 you could still see the 2 mile track.

Attachments

• 1938air.jpg
    1938air.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 235
Great research. Glad you were patient and got permission again. Sites like that are hard to come by. Like Iggyks said. Had that been anywhere within 40 miles of downtown Atlanta it would have been paved over, built over, dug up destroyed or marked no relic hunting allowed. Those type of permissions are rare indeed.

Back
Top Bottom