Gold Cufflinks Bucket List For Me

North Shore

I haven't been out much or logged on since March, I was able to get out yesterday for my 4th hunt of the year and on the new Nox machine. It does really well in trashy areas at the park I fall back to every now and then. The cufflinks were a solid 6 non wavering in a really trashy area.

I wonder how old these cufflinks are, I believe they are from Plainville MA from the PSCo (Plainville Stock Co) I'm assuming they're about 100 years old. I can't tell if they're marked 12k or 10k.

I also got a nice shield nickel dated 1870, my 2nd shield nickel ever and I believe a collar stud with enamel inlays.

Attachments

• shield and cufflinks.jpg
    shield and cufflinks.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 472
  • cufflinks.jpg
    cufflinks.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 469
  • psco 10k.jpg
    psco 10k.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 470
I dunno about the cufflinks, but just wanna say : I like the shield nickel !

Possible those are gold filled cufflinks and not solid gold. Although usually gold filled will be marked "GF" along with the karat marking, so it's very possible that you have solid gold cufflinks. Great find either way. Gold filled basically means a heavy layer of gold over top of some base metal.

Possible those are gold filled cufflinks and not solid gold. Although usually gold filled will be marked "GF" along with the karat marking, so it's very possible that you have solid gold cufflinks. Great find either way. Gold filled basically means a heavy layer of gold over top of some base metal.

I'm not seeing any decimal numbers or GF designation anywhere
There are some old nicks and cuts on the two circles as well as the linkage that go down to base metal which is gold, I don't think I'll do any destructive testing in the event its gold filled. I'll probably use some diluted citrus juice to clean it up a little bit.

Yep, I'm seeing 12K as well. I've found a few rings that are marked 10k or 14k that are obviously erroneously marked. I think you've found either the real deal or really gold-filled with a good layer of filling on top.

If it doesn’t clean up it’s plated.
Congrats on the shield nickel those are hard to find.

a little diluted lemon juice rinse and they cleaned up as much as I would like to as they still look like they came from the ground. I'm fairly certain they are solid gold.

Attachments

• 0926221334.jpg
    0926221334.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 433
  • 0926221335.jpg
    0926221335.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 441
You got me excited. I found a small dime sized "button" a few weeks back that I laughed and jokely said I found gold. It came out of the ground so shiney. Figured it was a cover or something off a button. But.... it has basically the same hatching design yours has. I just ordered a gold test kit to check it out!

a little diluted lemon juice rinse and they cleaned up as much as I would like to as they still look like they came from the ground. I'm fairly certain they are solid gold.

Yes it’s gold.
Sometimes lower karat gold will tarnish.
Congrats

Way to go! Guessing it says 10k but i can't see it that well on the computer screen? Probably from back in the era of gold pocket watches? I can see some classy guy with a matching gold pocket watch back in the day, reaching to get out his watch to see how late his date was. She never shows and he was still hanging around looking for his gold cufflink he lost at that spot. Some girl with Auburn hair was walking by Whistling and asked what was wrong. Next thing you know, they hit it off and wound up married with a story to tell about the remaining cufflink to the grandkids. ;)

Back
Top Bottom