• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

I’M BACK! Found Gold & Blisters in Portugal!!!

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
For those of you that may not have been aware, I left on June 21st for Lisbon, Portugal to do my 4th Camino de Santiago (Camino Portugues) from Lisbon to Santiago de Compostela, Spain. I arrived on June 22nd and began my walk/hike on June 23rd. I walked approximately 405 miles over 28 days (1 rest/tourist day in Porto). This included adding the alternative walk around Fatima and ending on the Atlantic Ocean in Muxia. When I was done with my little stroll, I spent about a week with my wife’s family in Galicia and then spent the last 2.5 days in Lisbon before my return flight to Miami on Tuesday, August 8th.

Although I have done longer Caminos and more difficult Caminos, this one had levels of difficulties that I did not expect. These included many 100° + days in the middle of a heat wave, and I fortunately managed to avoid the fires that were blazing across many parts or Portugal and Spain that had stranded other “peregrinos” (pilgrims) in other cities. Part of the difficulties were greater distances that I did not expect due to a lack of places to stay in expected towns on my route. I also had at least two 40+ kilometer days (25 miles +) and felt I had to ration my water in the first 2 weeks until I got to Porto due to poor infrastructure for this walk in Portugal. On the first day alone, I got two massive blisters on the balls of each foot. Something I had never experienced before. Blisters were really the least of my problems as I could, surprisingly to me, take that pain well. More blisters would come later on the outside heels of each foot and probably ALL the toes as well. I would later get blisters under blisters. :shock: Two days before arriving in Porto, I was getting Achilles pain in my right foot due to all the Roman, medieval, and more modern cobblestones that I walked on. And THAT got my attention!

Although I was not happy with many aspects of the 1st half of this Camino, I found Portugal to be quite beautiful. I found Lisbon to be one of the greatest cities that I have ever visited. This was another great experience for me which was also very cathartic, having lost my dad last year in August, and thinking about him every day on this walk that I had dedicated to him. I am very happy to be back and can’t wait to get out with a detector in my hand and headphones on my head. :yes:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 659
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 652
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 652
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 665
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 650
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 651
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 652
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 651
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 638
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 648
  • 14A.jpg
    14A.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 647
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 651
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 644
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 653
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 639
Where is the gold?

I thought you went beach hunting Booo.

I hope you don't get bird mites from that feather you stuck under your glasses...

I almost said something about your toes but changed my mind :lol:

I'm sure you were a bit emotional on your trek commerating your Dad and Dog. No way I would , could or want to do something like that. I'm sure it would have been more pleasurable if it weren't for the feet. Maybe because your to partial to Crocs here. Your feet should have been tougher. Did you buy the best hiking boots and a backup pair ?

I'm sure you were a bit emotional on your trek commerating your Dad and Dog. No way I would , could or want to do something like that. I'm sure it would have been more pleasurable if it weren't for the feet. Maybe because your to partial to Crocs here. Your feet should have been tougher. Did you buy the best hiking boots and a backup pair ?
Only needed the low cut Merrell's for the hiking and sandals to change into at the end of each day. I will go back to the Keen's with thicker wool socks that I have used before though as I feel those are better for me. It seemed as though it was a lot of endless hot asphalt in the first 7-10 days. Not conducive to healthy trekking on the feet.

Next time use women's ankle high nylon footies and wool socks. I used them on a lot of marathon like force marchs and combat runs. Little TUFF Skin helps too. I have to say as an old timer I envy those young enough to do these walk abouts. Love the outdoor life.

Thanks for taking us along for the walk Felix, much appreciated! And what a wonderful way to commemorate your Father and your "best friend".

Welcome back Felix. I hope you got to visit some of the places I told you about, prior to your trip.

Yes, Lisbon is a beautiful city. But that bridge looks nothing like the Golden Gate. If you want to see a replica of the Golden Gate, you need to walk on over to Istanbul and see the Bosphorus suspension bridge that connects the Asian and European sides of Istanbul. This is what it looks like.

800px-Bosphorus_Bridge.jpg

At any time did you miss not having a detector with you ? I think what would be interesting about your trip would be all the kinds of food and meals you had on your journey. Maybe it was all the same. Restaurants , little shacks , people who took you in , idk....

Not gunna lie, I did think about your posts a few times while you were gone. Excellent pictures, and glad to hear the trip was awesome! Continued success Felix!

Did you miss the USA?
Welcome back.
Thanks! Every time I'm done with my walk I just want to be back home. This is the 1st time I had so much extra time on my hands. I did relax a bit which I wouldn't have been able to do as well back home. But once I was on the plane I just wanted to be back!

At any time did you miss not having a detector with you ? I think what would be interesting about your trip would be all the kinds of food and meals you had on your journey. Maybe it was all the same. Restaurants , little shacks , people who took you in , idk....
I missed detecting a lot the 1st week. I eyeballed 4 coins while I was over there. 2X 1 euro coins, a 10 and a 5 cent euro. One of the 1 euro coins I eyeballed was in between cobblestones on the "Via Romana" as I walked. I could only imagine what great finds must be hidden in those cobblestones and along those ancient roads. I saw quite a few fresh water beaches that I'm sure have never been detected. Whenever I saw open bodies of water it reminded me of my desire to detect.

I once wore my Merrels without socks for a long walk and I got a bad case of Planta Fasciata, injures the nerves in the arch of the foot. I think maybe the soles of the Merrels were too stiff and maybe thick socks would have saved me. It took me 8 months to get over it. Have you ever seen old people walk like they are taking baby steps?
That's it! Very painful!

welcome back Felix, my wife and I spent time in Portugal and Lisbon specifically. We both loved it as well esp the food. I think a nice salt water hunt is just what you need to heal those feet lol.

Welcome home! So many miles!! Wow!! I don't like walking across the beach parking lot! (Blush)

I once wore my Merrels without socks for a long walk and I got a bad case of Planta Fasciata, injures the nerves in the arch of the foot. I think maybe the soles of the Merrels were too stiff and maybe thick socks would have saved me. It took me 8 months to get over it. Have you ever seen old people walk like they are taking baby steps?
That's it! Very painful!
I fight plantar fasciitis a lot of the year at work. I believe standing around impacts me. However, when I am on a long trek it goes away.
welcome back Felix, my wife and I spent time in Portugal and Lisbon specifically. We both loved it as well esp the food. I think a nice salt water hunt is just what you need to heal those feet lol.
Other than bacalao (cod), in its may incarnations, I much prefer the food in Spain.
Welcome home! So many miles!! Wow!! I don't like walking across the beach parking lot! (Blush)
:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom