• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Sat down in a park in Montana!

MTtrashdigger

Elite Member
I continue to hunt the oldest park in town because it has history, being our original fairgrounds and a baseball venue since at least 1910. The original ballfield is long gone, lots of trees have been planted over the years and many are now in excess of 100 years old. This park has given me some of my best and oldest finds, but I have scoured it to the point where it rarely even gives up a wheat penny anymore. Lots of derelicts and sketchy types hang out there and one needs to remain situationally aware at all times. But I keep going back, and yesterday I was rewarded with a coin that I assumed I would never dig in Montana, especially in my town. I took a couple of reveal pics and assumed I had a rosie or maybe a merc, since it wasn't even that deep, probably less than 6 inches under the sod, and a text book 26-28 high tone my Equinox. When I peeled the dirt off, I was looking at an 1877 seated dime.
Once home, I gave it the Q-tip and spit treatment and took the closeups. It is tarnished and worn but it is my first seated coin and now my oldest coin of any type. This reinforces the theory that no place is completely hunted out. Thanks for looking , stay safe and don't give up. There is still some good stuff out there.

Attachments

• sat down1 8-5-22 North Park.JPG
    sat down1 8-5-22 North Park.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 472
  • sat down2 8-5-22 North Park.JPG
    sat down2 8-5-22 North Park.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 468
  • sat down3 8-5-22 North Park.JPG
    sat down3 8-5-22 North Park.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 463
  • sat down4 8-5-22 North Park.jpg
    sat down4 8-5-22 North Park.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 471
  • sat down5 heads 8-5-22 North Park.jpg
    sat down5 heads 8-5-22 North Park.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 472
  • sat down5 tails 8-5-22 North Park.jpg
    sat down5 tails 8-5-22 North Park.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 468
MT congrats on your first seated silver and your oldest coin to date. For over five years a seated silver was # 1 on my bucketlist and last Dec. I finally found one. And I still hit an old hunted out city park for the same reason, there always seem to be one more goodie left. I dug a 1918 Buff, a 3 wheatie/ transit token spill this week. And the place still gives up silver once in awhile. Again congrats and nice save. Good luck. Mark

I like the reveal photo sequence. That's like unwrapping a present :)

Looks like an 1877 S, very nice find Josh! Been too long since I've seen seated silver.
Thanks, This is the first and only seated silver I have ever actually held in my hand, Oh, and Josh is different guy.

MT congrats on your first seated silver and your oldest coin to date. For over five years a seated silver was # 1 on my bucketlist and last Dec. I finally found one. And I still hit an old hunted out city park for the same reason, there always seem to be one more goodie left. I dug a 1918 Buff, a 3 wheatie/ transit token spill this week. And the place still gives up silver once in awhile. Again congrats and nice save. Good luck. Mark
Thanks, Mark, I would have bet real money that I would never dig seated in my town. Maybe further west in the state where there were mining camps in the 1860s and decent sized towns growing since the 1870s, but where I live , there were only 145 people here in 1870, the town was incorporated in 1882 and and the population was still only about 3000 by 1900. I don't know how long seated dimes circulated but I can't believe they were ever very common here. I figured I would have a better chance at finding a gold coin than a seated. But finding this certainly keeps me hoping!

I like the reveal photo sequence. That's like unwrapping a present :)
Thanks Tom!

Nice seated and the perfect Indian head cent date
Thanks !

Very good indeed! supposedly hunted out can come alive on a different day, different moister, hunting from a different direction. I mean how many of us have gridded a park in two directions?

Very nice Todd, wow!!! You are sure right, tough to pull a Seated anything in Montana. Congratulations on a wonderful find!

Very nice seated dime find. My brother and I hunted a house permission that has tons of history in my town and has given up several civil war buttons and coins as far back to the mid 1700s. In a small patch in the front yard we dug a couple hundred items from and pounded it and pounded it looking for that drape bust half dime on edge ..lol ..and one day I went there and said what the heck I’ll poke around some in front and found a 1856 Canadian half penny that was a clear as day high tone and can not to this day see how we missed that easy of a signal other than it came up in a plug with something else and was deep on edge was missed and put back closer to the surface maybe because we were low and slow hunting that area because of all the great finds. I would like to think that nothing is left behind but that cured me of thinking that

Never hunters or

Very nice seated dime find. My brother and I hunted a house permission that has tons of history in my town and has given up several civil war buttons and coins as far back to the mid 1700s. In a small patch in the front yard we dug a couple hundred items from and pounded it and pounded it looking for that drape bust half dime on edge ..lol ..and one day I went there and said what the heck I’ll poke around some in front and found a 1856 Canadian half penny that was a clear as day high tone and can not to this day see how we missed that easy of a signal other than it came up in a plug with something else and was deep on edge was missed and put back closer to the surface maybe because we were low and slow hunting that area because of all the great finds. I would like to think that nothing is left behind but that cured me of thinking that

Back
Top Bottom