• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

SLQ, Barbers, Tokens, Wheats and an Ihp.

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
I have had a good week, Friday the 13th, couldn't prove it by me. Had another great hunt today. Thursday I headed back to finish up the site where I had found a Walker half earlier in the week. After a good 6 + hours all I found was a 36 Buff, 3 wheats and about .70 in clad.
But on the way there I did a drive by on a vacant house that I have been stocking for some time. Talking with neighbors in the past they told me an old cranky lady lived there. Its that kind of big old house you just know there has to be some good stuff to be found. I had tried knocking at least 10 times over the years. Fast forward, this spring I see a bunch of garbage bags on the porch and figure someone is cleaning it out and that the old gal must have passed. I have did no less than 15 drive bys hoping to catch someone there. I almost didn't head over there yesterday but its only a 5 minute drive from my place and really not all that far out of the way from where I was headed. Glad I did, finally, met the family, got permission but got a little bad news, the lady told me I only had till Saturday. The house is going on the market Sunday and they don't want anybody on the property while its under contract.
Out the door 7:30 and was swinging by 7:45. A couple clad dimes and the like. My first good find was a 1919 Wheatie with a 1908 Ihp in with it. A couple more wheats but mainly the rest of the morning was frustrating with a bunch of memorials and zincolns ringing up in the high 30s. It wasn't till after lunch when I got a 25-26 next to an old brick walkway. Shallow for sure and figured it for a memorial but was very happy to see silver, a Barber dime, alright,its been a while since I found one of those. The backyard was almost undiggable. I only went after the sure signals. Under the clothes line I found the other Barber dime, the savings check and good luck token.
I switched to the 6 in. coil to do close around the house. That was a bust. So almost headed out and then I thought I should do a diagonal sweep of the front yard. I had did a E-W & N-S with the stock coil. Cranked recovery up to 7. I got a pretty nice sounding 29. Dug it till the pinpointer no longer went off in the hole. Put it to the pile and I see what I think is a penny, no its a Pgh. Transit token. My 5th this year but they never come in that high. Pinpointer back on the towel, out comes a black quarter, a little wipe and I see the eagle. Yes an SLQ. My second this year. Hard to see but its a 1924. I did find one more wheatie and a couple more memorials before the rain came and I headed out. I didn't mind, I was pooped and had a pretty great day. Not sure if I will go back tomorrow. You really need a Predator type shovel for the back yard and I assured the lady I only use a hand digger. Thanks for looking in. Mark

Attachments

• redo181.jpg
    redo181.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 357
  • redo182.jpg
    redo182.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 356
  • redo183.jpg
    redo183.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 359
  • redo184.jpg
    redo184.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 358
  • redo185.jpg
    redo185.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 357
Man those coins and tokens cleaned up really nicely and look amazing! Great read too, felt like I was along for the ride. Congrats on the killer finds - love those Barbers, SLQ, IHP, Wheats and tokens!

Mark, that was one fantastic kind of a hunt! Not only did you find silvers, but old ones. Any one of those finds would be worthy of a separate thread. Those two Barbers look mint fresh too. Since you found another transit token, your fare has been paid to stay on that silver train for another good ride. John

Man those coins and tokens cleaned up really nicely and look amazing! Great read too, felt like I was along for the ride. Congrats on the killer finds - love those Barbers, SLQ, IHP, Wheats and tokens!

GS Thank you sir, my hunch on the place paid off. I would have thought more Indians from the age of the place. Good luck. Mark

Wow more silver, and nice oldies too. Congrats!

longbow thanks, I started the week with with little prospects but I have to say fate was kind. I had hope of a Barber half (#2 on my list ) maybe next time. Good luck. Mark

Good pix. Good play-by-play.

Thank you Thomas and good luck to you. Mark

Mark, thanks for taking us along. Those silvers look great cleaned up!

Steve

Steve thanks. The 1908 other than a little rust stain looked that good with just a rinse. It amazing how clean it came out for being in the ground for a 100 years give or take. And the dirt it was in was the hardest I've ever dug. Think back to winter trying to stick your Lesche in frozen earth. I go 220 and had to get my body up and over the Lesche to drive it down an inch maybe 2, and do that each time till I had a plug formed then pry back what I could and chop my way down. Its a wonder I didn't hit the dime. Good luck. Mark

Mark, that was one fantastic kind of a hunt! Not only did you find silvers, but old ones. Any one of those finds would be worthy of a separate thread. Those two Barbers look mint fresh too. Since you found another transit token, your fare has been paid to stay on that silver train for another good ride. John

Thank you John for the kind words. I like the comment and the way you think on the railways token. I hope it holds true. Good luck to you. Mark

That was a big day Mark, Way to bring the goodies back to the light!

Thank you MT, I have been fortunate enough to have several multiple silver hunts this year. Good luck to you. Mark

Persistence pays off!

TS thanks I hope to see you posting a find or two soon. Good luck. Mark

Very Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!! They All are in Great shape too!!!

Digger RJ thank you sir, always nice to pull silver thats still crisp. Good luck. Mark

Dang Mark, those silvers and tokens just look fantastic. Congratulations!

Thank you jhanson. Good luck to you. Mark

The persistence to get the permission and the hard work to make the finds are two great take aways from this thread. Congratulations on a great hunt and thanks for taking us along!

That's some great digging! Congrats Mark. :beers:

Jerry thank you, and I did have a couple beers and a short bourbon last evening to celebrate my finds. It was a great week for me Md'ing wise. How did your trip up north go ? I actually thought about you today, coming back from hunting today when I turned on my street there was a hen walking right up the middle of the street. I live in a residential area so not all that common. Good luck pal. Mark

You're on a roll mark! Nice hunt and great looking coins!

Rattlehead thank you. Today was the last day I could hit the site so I went back today. Couldn't believe there was only one silver in that front/side yard. And keep in mind the SLQ was laying in with a copper token. Short story long, I got one more Ihp and another 6 old wheats. So in all 2 Indians and 13 wheaties and not a silver dime or quarter to be had. Most of the wheats are from the teens. I think someone must have hit the yard in the past and didn't dig anything less than a 12-45 Good luck. Mark

Congrats Mark! Finds, photos and play by play all excellent.

SS Thank you sir. Sometimes I worry I get too long winded. Good luck. Mark

Congrats Mark. Some nice coins - very well worth the long and tiring hunt! :chaplin:

Thanks Charlie, its not too hard to keep going if your finding the good stuff. Good luck. Mark

The persistence to get the permission and the hard work to make the finds are two great take aways from this thread. Congratulations on a great hunt and thanks for taking us along!

MSCguy thank you, it would have been a disappointment if she would have said no. You usually can see where its going in the first 30 sec. And I felt like I was losing her so I threw up my arms and said I'm very respectful of the property, I don't make or leave any mess and you'll never know I was here. then steering her in another direction I pulled out my phone to show her pics of my recent finds. It worked, she gave me her address and told me I could do her place. Good luck. Mark

TS thanks I hope to see you posting a find or two soon. Good luck. Mark

I've snagged a few goodies lately, including some silver and an old copper. I was looking forward to a perfect opportunity to get in some real hours last week and COVID finally found me, and got me good. I wasn't real happy about being laid up in my basement for a week while it was gorgeous outside. But, I'm fortunate. I'm on day 10 after the onset of symptoms and almost back to 100%. I wouldn't have thought that was possible about 5 days ago.

Back
Top Bottom