A family murder?

Doug

Elite Member
My thanks to a group member for the ID on the Roman coin.

Thanks for looking...........Doug.

"Flavius Julius Crispus was the son of Constantine I by his first wife. A brilliant soldier, Crispus was well loved by all until 326 A.D., when Constantine had him executed.

It is said that Fausta, Crispus stepmother, anxious to secure the succession for her own sons falsely accused Crispus of raping her.

Constantine, learning of Fausta's treachery, had her executed too."

Just out of the ground.
kCxxFCh.jpg

Crispus, Caesar, 1 March 317 - 326 A.D.
kutXtoA.jpg

Always great history lessons with your finds!

Coin is in excellent condition for being over 1700 years old!! :shock:

Amazing find. Love reading your posts as they are entertaining and I always learn something.

Doug

To answer your question in the title….yes. Jealousy, greed, and the accumulation of power drove many such assassinations in the Roman Empire, and often when a Caesar thought someone in his own family was involved, he had them killed. The women were made to drink poison, usually something that made them just go to sleep and never wake up! Sons killed fathers and vice versa, also distant relatives were often banned to Mediterranean Islands, just like was done in Napoleon’s time, being allowed to live out their life in isolation. And you did not have to be guilty, because if Caesar decided against you, you were gone!

If you have the time, read the “Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire”. KT studied it thoroughly before assuming the mantle of Royalty. It is a difficult job to try and please everyone!! :laughing::laughing:

Finally there are two excellent books on Roman coinage, one essentially on the coinage and the other on the lives of the Emperors and their coinage. KT has a collection of Roman coinage of most of the Emperors who were in power long enough to have their coinage be common. A few of those coins are silver, a few others silver plated, and most were bronze or copper. Of course, there were fantastic gold coins minted but they are super rare!

And that coin is in really nice condition! If in doubt, check out what is for sale on eBay.

Last edited:
Fantastic find...Being in England do you have to turn that in ?

Thank you all for your kind comments.

PDshooter:

Below will answer your question. Extract from the:Treasure Act:1996 Code of Practice: 2nd Revision.

"(ii) Coins (section 1 (1) (a) (ii) and (iii) and section 3 (2)).

7. all coins that contain at least 10 per cent of gold or silver by weight of metal and that come from the same find, provided a find consists of at least two coins with a gold or silver content of at least 10 per cent.

The coins must be at least 300 years old at the time of discovery. In the case of finds consisting of coins that contain less than 10 per cent of gold or silver there must be at least ten such coins; they will also need to be at least 300 years old."

An Oldie

Wow, that is an ancient coin you dug there.
Tnsharpshooter, I see your metal detectors are the same as mine. One XP II on the way, a NOX 800, the E-trac, and I sold my XP Deus 1 a couple years ago. I just put a 15 inch Coiltek on my NOX 800 yesterday, and dug fifteen wheaties, and a mercury dime. "Philip the NOX" said it adds 2 inches of depth.

Wow, that is an ancient coin you dug there.
Tnsharpshooter, I see your metal detectors are the same as mine. One XP II on the way, a NOX 800, the E-trac, and I sold my XP Deus 1 a couple years ago. I just put a 15 inch Coiltek on my NOX 800 yesterday, and dug fifteen wheaties, and a mercury dime. "Philip the NOX" said it adds 2 inches of depth.

I wish I would haven dig. Not me, someone else located and retrieved.
I am on the hunt for one of those gold English pennies. Lol

Back
Top Bottom