Look what I missed

CarsonChris

Elite Member
A friend of mine pulled this in Carson City yesterday at a dog park! Her first gold coin! It had a 10/11 VDI on the Nox.

Attachments

• 1210F1BE-DA33-499C-AEBA-88C15A8C9A1F.jpeg
    1210F1BE-DA33-499C-AEBA-88C15A8C9A1F.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,047
  • 83161612-4C63-4DA4-9A16-E9634BEA7FD7.jpeg
    83161612-4C63-4DA4-9A16-E9634BEA7FD7.jpeg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,014
It's situated near downtown old Carson city. My 1878 map of Carson has buildings there. It's been pounded to the point it's hard to pull a penny.

Did your friend say how deep that was ?

If it was shallow, there's the outside chance that it was mounted as jewelry (but fell out of a bezel or whatever). Since $1 golds are such small coins, they are somethings used as charms or earrings, in modern pieces.

But since there is no bezel (or proof of having been in jewelry), then of course, then a person can claim it as a "coin" (in their boasting privileges) Versus finding a jewelry item.

If it were found right on top, then this might explain it. But assuming any sort of depth, then it becomes a grey area immediately. Because we all know that sometimes a fluke old coin *can* be shallow.

Anyhow, congratz to your friend for the Holy Grail find !

A friend of mine pulled this in Carson City yesterday at a dog park! Her first gold coin! It had a 10/11 VDI on the Nox.

Pretty cool.

Around here, a dog park is a fenced in area often inside of a larger park. The largest one I can think of is about half the size of a football field. Others are much smaller. It would be awful to detect. I'm going to assume this was a larger park where dogs are allowed off leash.

Ive found two gold dollars but I would have preferred at least one to have been the indian princess variety. Dont see them come up nearly as much and a better looking design imo

She should mount that in a case, put it on the fireplace mantle and end her detecting hobby right now........ :laughing:

I probably would have missed that unless it was shallow, I rarely dig vdi`s under 15. :shock:

Huge congrats..................... :clapping:

Amazing... how long has she been hunting?

A long time. She's 70 years young. She had just posted a link to gold ring VDI numbers on her FB page. She was bound and determined to pull a gold ring by digging low numbers. She got the coin instead. It was 3 inches deep. Sounds like there may have been a small scrape off where they removed some sod.

A long time. She's 70 years young. She had just posted a link to gold ring VDI numbers on her FB page. She was bound and determined to pull a gold ring by digging low numbers. She got the coin instead. It was 3 inches deep. Sounds like there may have been a small scrape off where they removed some sod.

Thats amazing, From the sound of it, she certainly deserves it. :clapping:

I hope I am still hunting at that age.

thanx for the back-story. Tell her that this is the hole-in-one of md'rs. Plenty of hard-core guys here that would love to say they've found their first gold coin !

Back
Top Bottom