More phoenix buttons

Tom_in_CA

Elite Member
So many phoenix buttons, and so little time.

These came from a weekend hunt at one of our "back pocket sites". My hunt partner also got a few keepers. We'll see if he chimes in.

These particular PB's are common, but ..... oh well, ....I'll take 'em

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rX9...ew?usp=sharing

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 635
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 633
Here is the accompanying age indicators (blacksmithed green copper, pistol ball, etc....)

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 650
And, of course, the obligatory modern junk from some sites :

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 625
Seems like your "back pocket" spots will keep on giving forever!

Keep on posting your digs!

Seems like your "back pocket" spots will keep on giving forever!

Keep on posting your digs!

Those phoenix buttons are very cool looking. Thanks for the info you posted on them as well. Very interesting

Amazing you are still pulling that many, nice spot!

Jelly, nice buttons Tom.

G-sweeper, zeemang, CT-pilgrim, seabeeRon : Thanx for joining us on our hunt!

What? No Reales or seated coins?:roll:

Maybe Brian will chime in :hornetsnest:

Boy you find a lot of those.

kaufenanger, well yes, of course. I mean ...... who wants to find boring large cents after all ?? :cool3: :sissyfight:

Hey Tom, what's the larger round thing with the raised center boss to the right of the penny in the box with the pistol ball? Any thoughts on its use? Decorative?

Good question Rock Jock . It was very deep. And you can imagine, a hunk of copper/brass that big, gave a whopper signal.

We too wondered what that is. The base of a chalice or candlestick holder or something ?? :?:

Okay, okay, Tom's badgering me to post haha

I attempted to capitalize on my success from our New Years Day hunt where my first coin of 2022 was a beautiful 1825 reale (https://youtu.be/EFZ5Wf3cy2I). On that trip I removed a large section of brush that low and behold gave up several good targets once cleared. This general area produced several Phoenix buttons, a reale, green copper, flat buttons, relics, etc. This trip I tried removing more brush right in what was previously a hot zone, but I was shocked after busting my hump that the thicket of bushes wasn't hiding a single target. Tom likewise cleared out a large swath of overgrowth and after he went through with his Deus and got nothing (camp lead and shotgun butts perhaps), I went though it with the EQX and I did get what sounded like a good chance to be a deep coin, but it ended up being a deep shotgun shell. I don't recall shotgun shell being punishing on previous hunts there, but they were on this one, and I see that Tom also got an equally larger number of them.

Then I moved to the area that I had cleared out on the last trip and thought it made good sense to continue expanding my pocket and aside from a couple pieces of large iron, it was devoid of targets. While I was bushwhacking Tom decided to freestyle it on the deer trails. This would prove to be a good move, as he soon started having success.

Finally after Tom had bagged TWO Phoenix buttons and a flat button, I started working my way to where I thought he was, but the bottom line is I spent the majority of the hunt either bushwhacking dud areas, or exploring an entirely different area from where Tom was that ended up being practically devoid of targets. Tom kept texting me, hey I got another flat button, hey another phoenix button, hey a small birdcage button. Geesh he was killing it.

I ended up with a single flat button way out in the bush, and when I finally returned closer to the "zone", BAM I landed a neat button! How it got there is completely beyond me?? I researched it and it's what's commonly referred to as a War of 1812 Royal Navy Officer 15mm gilt brass flat button. This Royal Navy Officers one piece button was manufactured between 1798-1812. What's that doing in Alta California?? Anyone in California ever find one of these? I know when Spain wasn't looking the British were trading there, and when Alta California was under Mexican authority, the British could trade there.

On our way out we wanted to check an area that I sampled last trip and it produced a flat button or two. We were more thorough this time and hit an interesting little patch. Tom pulled a flat button and some big bronze foot to a candlestick or chalice or? Not far from him I got these two little silver buckles. Funky signal, silver screamer with other signals mixed in, pulled several targets out of this little area mixed in with junk. Got the little silver D buckle first, then the larger silver buckle second. Then I waded through some (gasp) clad and got a screaming flutey silver tone, and saw a little silver disc fly out of the hole!! Ended up being a seated half dime, a nice early one too from 1838. To bad it wasn't an Orleans mint mark, it'd be a high dollar little coin then, but it's still a killer find from early Alta California.

51827008148_96682f8724_z.jpg

51827240839_00afd71aa9_z.jpg

51827007993_86ebce2110_z.jpg

Nothing else too exciting to be honest, Tom was on fire! I believe he ended up with something like nine period flat buttons, and 2 Phoenix buttons, and a bunch of period green copper.

Thanks for looking!
GL&HH,
Cal

.... Tom likewise cleared out a large swath of overgrowth and after he went through with his Deus and got nothing (camp lead and shotgun butts perhaps),....

I did get one small flat button in that brush-wack cleared spot. And a tiny piece of green copper. But otherwise, you are right : Not much reward for our manual labor effort. And yeah, the shotgun butts SOUNDED GREAT, knowing there wasn't supposed to be any new targets in that area :laughing:

Seeing as how several good buttons and a reale came from right close by, and seeing as how these bushes are recent growth (less than 100 yrs. old), we really thought the target-spread would continue.

Still fun though !

As for your British button : Lots of British navy 1-piece buttons have been found in CA. But no, I don't recall that exact design/rank. Great sleuthing work !

Are you sure those buckles are "silver" ? :?:

The only bad thing about taking Brian to places with early 1800s coins and buttons is : He now DESPISES park-turf hunting. Mercs just don't turn him on any more.

Heck, I was with him one time at an 1850s trading post site (where all human influence ceased by 1860). He gets a barber dime, and griped. What a spoiled brat, eh ? See what I gotta put up with ? :laughing:

The only bad thing about taking Brian to places with early 1800s coins and buttons is : He now DESPISES park-turf hunting. Mercs just don't turn him on any more.

Heck, I was with him one time at an 1850s trading post site (where all human influence ceased by 1860). He gets a barber dime, and griped. What a spoiled brat, eh ? See what I gotta put up with ? :laughing:

Hey Brian, you gonna let him talk about you like that?!? :sissyfight:

Last edited:
Congrats to both of you on the killer finds! I'm drooling over the half dime and Phoenix buttons. A half dime is possible for me. The Phoenix buttons not in million years.

Who knew that industrial strength loppers were a metal detecting tool? And you need to do it at ground level or you still can't be a swinger! Cutlass works for reconnaissance, but to swing you need to lop.

Congrats to both of you on the killer finds! I'm drooling over the half dime and Phoenix buttons. A half dime is possible for me. The Phoenix buttons not in million years.

rock-jock and longbow : Thanx for joining us !

Hey Brian, you gonna let him talk about you like that?!? :sissyfight:

Yeah, what's up with that ? He's asleep at the wheel ! :laughing:

Good show as always! still no largies though?!?!?

We don't need those sissy LC's, when we can find Phoenix buttons, eh ? :shock:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom