Great Montana detect! 19 Silvers, 1917 Standing Liberty, Sterling Parachute Wings

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
My friend Wayne, from Corvallis Montana, picked me up this morning and we headed to a nearby Montana town for a day of detecting. It turned out to be a great hunt, both of us doing well, and Wayne having his best day ever!

I got the OK at a 1930's stucco home, and Wayne (uses Nox 800) found an awesome Sterling Silver Army Paratroopers pin! My take from the yard was just a couple of wheat cents and a few clad quarters.

I got a killer permission at a 1900 corner home, this yard produced some goodies... wheat cents and a 1903 Indian Head Cent for my friend, I got my coil over a 1964 Silver Washington, and a beautiful Type 2 1917 Standing Liberty Quarter! I did get a Buffalo Nickel / Jefferson Nickel spill, a 1906 Indian Head Cent, and some wheat cents back into the 1910's. From there, I got us the OK at a large old time funeral home, this big yard only produced a Silver Merc for the AT Pro, and some old cents for Wayne.

We took a break for a bite of late lunch, and then headed off to another area of town. Wayne got us the OK at a 1940 home, and this small yard produced 8 SILVERS! My side of the yard had a couple of Silver Rosies and a Silver Quarter, Wayne's side of the yard produced a 1972 Kennedy Half Dollar, 4 Merc Dimes and a Silver Rosie. There were a lot of coins in this smaller yard, wheat cents and modern stuff. I then got the OK at a large corner lot, but the only coin of note, other than some wheat cents, was a Merc Dime for me.

We were getting a bit tired out, but decided to try one more yard. Wayne got the OK, and this yard had 7 SILVERS! My side had a sole Mercury Dime, but Wayne got on a roll with Mercs, Rosies, Silver Washington, and 1945-S Silver War Nickel.

After that, we were happy and also pretty beat! We ended up with 19 shiny coins for the day, 2 Indian Head Cents, Buffalo Nickel, Sterling Paratroop pin, lots of wheat cents and plenty of modern clad. We are both grateful for a good hunt, days like this don't come around too often. Thank you for your interest!

Attachments

• coins1.jpg
    coins1.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 547
  • coins2.jpg
    coins2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 505
  • coins22.jpg
    coins22.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 517
  • coins3.jpg
    coins3.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 494
  • coins4.jpg
    coins4.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 503
Last edited:
Seeking those permissions, you both deserve what you both recovered...congrats on the fine collection of silvers!

Thanks JAK! Yep, for us, permissions are where we have the best chance of finding something good. Thankfully today worked out really well!

Epic hunt David!! Congrats on all of the Shiny for both you and your partner. Glad you were able to get back on the silver after a relative dry spell. Also glad your local "pirate" hadn't had a chance to bugger up your area there. Wishing you continued success on your future permissions.

Wow, that’s a haul! Congrats on all that silver,and the ww2 jumpers pin.

Thank you woodbutcher!

Epic hunt David!! Congrats on all of the Shiny for both you and your partner. Glad you were able to get back on the silver after a relative dry spell. Also glad your local "pirate" hadn't had a chance to bugger up your area there. Wishing you continued success on your future permissions.

Thanks Gale! Am very pleased to have a couple of good hunts! Head over this way when you can.

Great outing LTS, That is a lot of silver. Congrats to you and you pal on some fine hunting. Perhaps you might do an instructional video on doorknocking. Your rate of success is fantastic. You get more yes's in a day than I can get in a year. Good luck, Mark

Congrats on the nice finds! Silver like crazy.
But I have to say that paratroopers pin is special. Was worn by an amazing person representing our country into battle.

Like those wings :wow: and pile of silver with some IHPs…just crazy, congrats!

Thanks GroundSweeper, a good day for sure!

Great outing LTS, That is a lot of silver. Congrats to you and you pal on some fine hunting. Perhaps you might do an instructional video on doorknocking. Your rate of success is fantastic. You get more yes's in a day than I can get in a year. Good luck, Mark

Thanks Mark! I think I did post my "pitch" for permission about a year ago on the FF. Thankfully folks around here a pretty friendly and willing to let a guy detect.

Dreamy David, just fantastic for you and your P.

Thanks Paul, the day turned out great!

Congrats on the nice finds! Silver like crazy.
But I have to say that paratroopers pin is special. Was worn by an amazing person representing our country into battle.

Thanks RRF! Yep, a special person wore that pin, neat to think of the history behind who it was and how it happened to be in that yard.

Sheesh! Nice hunt👍

Thanks metaladdict!

Congrats y'all killed it! I need to knock on some doors, but not until it rains here. I have never found more than four silvers in a day. You amaze me at the number of silvers you find each year. I'm mostly thrilled if I get 30 or so a year.

Holy smoke, that would be a good years finds. Congrats

Thanks MuddyMo! Yards and hunts like that don't happen too often.

Congrats y'all killed it! I need to knock on some doors, but not until it rains here. I have never found more than four silvers in a day. You amaze me at the number of silvers you find each year. I'm mostly thrilled if I get 30 or so a year.

Thanks longbow! Many of my days detecting bring in just one silver, though I am happy with just one. Many days bring in several, and once in a while a really good day comes about!

THAT'S IT... I'm moving to Montana !

I'm not even finding Largies around Boston any more. Of course it would help if I was able to get out detecting, with this darn rotator cuff injury keeping me on the sidelines for months :(

Nice work David and great photos, as always !

THAT'S IT... I'm moving to Montana !

I'm not even finding Largies around Boston any more. Of course it would help if I was able to get out detecting, with this darn rotator cuff injury keeping me on the sidelines for months :(

Nice work David and great photos, as always !

Thank you jimther! Hope that rotator gets healed up soon and you can get out and pull some Largies. I've never found a Large Cent here in Montana, now that would be a treat!

Great Day

Yep, days like yours are what makes this hobby great. You made it happen though, with your door knocks, and just plain getting out there and digging. And you were rewarded for your efforts. Me, I sent Minelab an email this morning, telling them my E-trac needs repair, and then proceed to do some lake hunting with my NOX 800, and now it's not working. Water damage. Both detectors down.
Congratulations on a good day.
HH everyone

PS I still love Minelab, these two (NOX 800 & E-trac) are great detectors and have found me some awesome coins, and other goodies.

Back
Top Bottom