little olive branch head saves theday for me

bobac

Elite Member
Well, I managed a permission for a field just up the road from where I scored my half Real last week. According the 1850 maps there was supposed to have been several homesteads in the area.

The land owner claims no one has ever hunted or enquired about this field which happens to be directly across the street and in plain view of his home. So I headed out there with great anticipation . It actually wasn't too long before I snagged a super sweet sounding target , 1-45 1-43.....I turned and walked 30 yards back to the vehicle for my GO Pro and did a live dig on it . It was a coin , but I certainly was not expecting copper with that high tone....Anyway , it was in the right area for a large cent , but this thing was quite a bit larger than a largie. After hours of dry-brushing and staring at it , I finally made out the word Canada.
I put the other large cents from last month in the picture for size comparison .
Anyway, the next hunt was back at an area I have pounded to death over the years. I was sweeping an area that I have never found a coin ever. There is so much trash and iron there its just a nightmare detecting. So I generally run a pretty narrow pattern and I feel its been good to me. So I was walking up this hill getting into the iron sounds when I got a hint of a 12-45, at 5 inches. Turned and swung at 90 and I get absolute silence. Kept repeating that and it was the same thing.....I have never pursued a sound like this in a while cus I've dug enough iron scrap and large bolts and stuff to learn my lesson. But on this day I felt like I should check it out, even tho on pinpoint it was showing large iron laying in the one direction. So I stick my little shovel in the dirt and BAM, hit a solid rock. It took a little bit to get all the way around the brick sized stone , and just a few inches below that there was a little shine.....Now I'm really wondering how many coins I've left behind at my previous 2000 hunts...…
anyway....20 sfty now, which is 20 more than I thought I'd manage......they are getting so tough to come by anymore.....

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 467
  • 2.1.jpg
    2.1.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 464
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 458
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 477
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 456
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 453
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 455
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 461
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 437
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 456
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 447
Congrats on the Canadian largie and silver # 20 fty Bob. I am guilty of digging those one way high tones and have been rewarded or cursed into digging most of them, the larger signals are easy to walk on but those ones that break small are hard to pass on. You are are off to a good start this year. Good luck, Mark

Back
Top Bottom