• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

1780s half reale

Tom_in_CA

Elite Member
Got this 178x (can't read the last digit) half reale this morning. This is the 3rd reale I've pulled from this site over time.

2 different pix of the front , with different lighting. And a pix of the back. The reale came out dull-grey, so it needed the "spit & tinfoil" trick, Just to get anything to show, and to pull a date from it.

The last pix is the "before" pix, with a few other targets from the vicinity : A pistol ball, a crude underwear button, and a nuisance 1952 wheatie .

I know that 1780s coins are a "dime a dozen" on the east coast. But here in CA, they're hard to come by ! :laughing:

Attachments

• 20210409_115611.jpg
    20210409_115611.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 670
  • 20210409_115521.jpg
    20210409_115521.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 606
  • 20210409_115305.jpg
    20210409_115305.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 593
  • 20210409_094722.jpg
    20210409_094722.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 588
Congrats! Thanks for posting the side by side pick with the penny. I know nothing about reales, but now I at least know a half reale is pretty small!

"You west coasters and your silver!"

-man sitting on east coast largie pile 😅

Teasin'. Sweet score!

Congrats! Thanks for posting the side by side pick with the penny. I know nothing about reales, but now I at least know a half reale is pretty small!

"You west coasters and your silver!"

-man sitting on east coast largie pile 😅

Teasin'. Sweet score!

NC-toad and Emu-detector, thanx for coming along on my hunt ! Yeah yeah, we west coast guys get reales in our change at 7-11. And use them for shims @ for uneven coffee table legs ! :laughing:

That's a nice one. I bet you find them almost as many times as the gold coins, right?

Nah nah, easier to find reales here :cool3: I've lost track of the # of reales I've found in CA (150 by now ?), yet only 16 gold coins so far. I know I know, your heart bleeds for us, that we have to put up with so many reales in order to get a gold coin, right ? :lol:

Nah nah, easier to find reales here :cool3: I've lost track of the # of reales I've found in CA (150 by now ?), yet only 16 gold coins so far. I know I know, your heart bleeds for us, that we have to put up with so many reales in order to get a gold coin, right ? :lol:

ONLY 16 gold coins so far? Shame on you for not working harder.

Hey Tom. Have you ever heard or known of anyone finding any reales on the Washington coast. Or west side of state in general? I have heard stories of them but know of none.

ONLY 16 gold coins so far? Shame on you for not working harder.

I am SO ashamed :tissue:

Those seem like a dime a dozen for you lately. Nice coin.

Hhhhmmm, I wonder if this came from south of the Santa Barbara line ? :sissyfight::mder::mder:

Hey Tom. Have you ever heard or known of anyone finding any reales on the Washington coast. Or west side of state in general? I have heard stories of them but know of none.

No. I don't have any knowledge of show & tell from md'rs as far north as you. But I would assume that reales could have gotten to the Mouth of Columbia river. D/t there were a few trading post locations and fur-trade activity, even as far inland as Vancouver.

But , in general, we had more activity in the late 1700s to mid 1800s, in various CA coastal locations. Washington was the "remotest parts of the earth" at the time. So it'll probably be harder to get reales there. Perhaps some could have come from the east during the "westward ho" movement era, since reales were still circulating at that time. And Oregon/Washington began to get settled as early as that. But those would be whatever was still around in the early 1850s. Kind of like how reales get found in CA gold rush sites (which didn't see settlement till 1849, at the utmost earliest). So too might you get some that were circulating in early western times. Since the SF mint didn't get cranking till later in the 1850s.

I am SO ashamed :tissue:

Hhhhmmm, I wonder if this came from south of the Santa Barbara line ? :sissyfight::mder::mder:

No. I don't have any knowledge of show & tell from md'rs as far north as you. But I would assume that reales could have gotten to the Mouth of Columbia river. D/t there were a few trading post locations and fur-trade activity, even as far inland as Vancouver.

But , in general, we had more activity in the late 1700s to mid 1800s, in various CA coastal locations. Washington was the "remotest parts of the earth" at the time. So it'll probably be harder to get reales there. Perhaps some could have come from the east during the "westward ho" movement era, since reales were still circulating at that time. And Oregon/Washington began to get settled as early as that. But those would be whatever was still around in the early 1850s. Kind of like how reales get found in CA gold rush sites (which didn't see settlement till 1849, at the utmost earliest). So too might you get some that were circulating in early western times. Since the SF mint didn't get cranking till later in the 1850s.

So kinda off topic a lil but this book was a great read. Gives an alternate potential spot for as far north as drake came. I have been to the spots in this book and his theory is possible. I have contemplated asking for permission around these spots but so much has changed in the area especially in the last 100 years let alone more.
F9FD17A2-513D-4F31-B494-BCDEBA918308.jpg

Claims he came here with a ship of silver and had to ditch a lot due to weight issues. Indians in British Columbia claim to be descended from some of the men he left behind that eventually assimilated into local tribes. Very interesting. I would highly recommend

Back
Top Bottom