Finding Unusual Targets

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
As a water hunter we have a chance to come across many targets that will never be found on land. Things dropped off boats, Things dropped out of airplanes. Boats that sank. How many water hunters use machines that give them an overload signal and pass it up believing it is a can, or a large piece of trash.

Almost all Zippo lighters give an overload signal, so do large toys, boat anchors, guns and cell phones. I have even had huge gold rings give an overload signal.

Digging in the sand is easy. Sure you find lots of pull tabs, head stamps and bottle tops. I even get sick of digging some signals and pass them up. However, I know I will be back in the same spot and sooner or later I will get all of them. I hunt a beach I call bullet beach. Literally thousands upon thousands of 30 cal bullets and casings from Lewis machine guns are scattered all over in the water. Before it was a boaters beach, it was a practice range for Jenny bi-planes from before WW1. Not many folks hunt it because of all the bullets and casings. But, they hide treasure. A lot of persistence pays off.

Not many on here can say they found guns, bombs and machine gun magazines in the states. I might be the only metal detectorist that has ever recovered a drop tank to a P-51 Mustang, WW2 era.

Sure you will dig hundreds of pieces of trash for every good target. But the rewards are great for those that do not get discouraged and keep on trying.

Large targets can be more fun than a ring or a coin. Never knowing what your next target will be is half the fun, even if it is trash.

WOW!! I know a bit about planes... Call a museum NOW!!! :laughing::lol:

Selfridge ANG museum has one of the Lewis machine gun magazines and one of the 12 practice bombs I have found. I don't know what ever happened to the Mustang fuel tank. A marina pulled it out for me and said they were going to contact Selfridge. No clue where it ended up.

BEFORE anyone comments on the guns I have recovered. YES they were turned into the police PER Michigan law. However they were returned to me BUT NOT after another hassle with a chief of police. In FACT the bombs were also a funny story. You can Google Port Huron bomb BUT that only tells THEIR side of the story. BELIEVE me, when I say I was NOT driving around Michigan with bombs in my truck NOT knowing they were inert practice bombs.

I am NOT as dumb as the media and the police tried to make me out to be!

Most people here show off their coins, rings, etc..... You are probably the only one here show & telling "bombs", haha

True, those overload signals can give up the goods, I got an old coin purse this winter with some nice old coins.

Thank you! Very inspirational post. I'm not a scuba diver but I will spend time in the water. I recently got my first waterproof detector. I want more! I want to make old swimming holes prime hunting ground. I'm talking rural natural pools in streams that people have cooled off or bathed in for 100's of years.

BEFORE anyone comments on the guns I have recovered. YES they were turned into the police PER Michigan law. However they were returned to me BUT NOT after another hassle with a chief of police. In FACT the bombs were also a funny story. You can Google Port Huron bomb BUT that only tells THEIR side of the story. BELIEVE me, when I say I was NOT driving around Michigan with bombs in my truck NOT knowing they were inert practice bombs.

I am NOT as dumb as the media and the police tried to make me out to be!

I just read it. Based on having worked with a lot of cops and law enforcement agencies, it seems like there was a lot of detail left out of that article for the sake of not embarrassing some local cops a little too anxious to make a name for themselves.

Attachments

• Resized_20200709_134251.jpg
    Resized_20200709_134251.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 468
The P51 was one of three planes my grandfather fixed regularly during the war, along with C47(DC3) and B17. Occasionally he also assisted with tearing down captured German planes to check them out. This was all done at an airfield in Dayton, Ohio.

If he was still around I would love for him to be able to check over your finds. They are awesome! Congratulations!

Back
Top Bottom