One of my favorite fines that still amaze me

Truth1253

I was pretty green at the time I was 6 months in I did my best with my bounty hunter and after I found my first silver spoon I was hot then I bought a AT pro and then I bought a big coil 2 months latte. So hear I am in the old Historical part of town Where they had what’s called the landing which is where the boats would come up the river from Lake Ponchatrain coming from New Orleans. They would bring over oxen and Such and we would send back turpentine because we have all pine trees in my town which is about 50 miles away from New Orleans. So at this point I’m still green on the AT Pro and now I’m spending more money on the big coil because of course I want to go deep because I thought that’s why I wasn’t finding anything lol. Well I go one block from the landing where these buildings are mostly women’s boutiques and lawyer offices and it’s mostly cement but there was a strip and the grass looked old in the midst of the sea meant that was about 3 feet wide and 10 feet long. Was in the middle of the summer in the middle of the week and they were people walking about but I told myself I’m off today I’m gonna go check that spot if it kills me. Well I put all my equipment on and I had to park half a block away and walk to the spot and people are looking at me like I’m out of my mind but I was so new to the game I didn’t know any better I probably wouldn’t do that today. Well while searching this sidewalk strip I heard something deep I don’t really remember much I just dropped I just dropped to my knees and started digging. See you in feet walking past me and may not make eye to eye contact I kept my head down I was about 8 inches and it was getting a little ridiculous now the embarrassment is sinking in and I took my hand lash and just popped it one more time and in like slow motion a black desk and I mean black I don’t even know what it was plops out and I put it in my bag and got the hell out of there. I told my wife I think I found something good it’s heavy. The block was so thick I got advice to useLiquid soap and baking soda and water and I find a 1829 Mexican 8 Reals. I think it was still too early in the game for me to actually soak in what I found at such an early part of my addiction.
And then four years later at a New Orleans Fort Which was about no more than six months ago I was sitting in the fort thinking if I was a young kid at the fort in the middle of our heat in New Orleans and was so bored to death I would shoot a cannon ball. So I went across the the bayou and went in the woods detecting “I dug a French early 18 century cannonball 8 pounds so I thought they must have more there and then I came across this BANNER 1809 Ferdinand 8 reales

And won’t let me over to that side was if somebody shot a cannonball I was gonna find it and I did it’s a French early 1800s century 8 pound cannon ball which only the French used in the Fort was being guarded with the French army. So I go over there and I actually dug out my first cannonball which was found by common sense
IMG_0501 2.JPG
5a57651e9193218b520279c9151816db.jpg

View recent photos 11.jpg
4d2a98ccb0ac7f4c683b86b6aaae22ff.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg
IMG_0696.jpg

Last edited:
Fort St Johns is in New Orleans along Bayou St Johns. I'm curious, what part of that area do you consider "woods" ? There's St John Park and then Boreas Park. There is a thick clump of trees on the fort side. Is that what you're referencing woods ?

If you're hunting those parks, you're brave. Those are historical landmarks.

Those are indeed some amazing finds Truth! Would be great finds for either a greenie or a veteran detectorist. :thumbsup: You had to be doing something right! Congrats on a great past hunt!

Fort St Johns is in New Orleans along Bayou St Johns. I'm curious, what part of that area do you consider "woods" ? There's St John Park and then Boreas Park. There is a thick clump of trees on the fort side. Is that what you're referencing woods ?

If you're hunting those parks, you're brave. Those are historical landmarks.

I got a special permission I have my connections in New Orleans so there’s nothing brave about it. All I had to do was show the sergeant of the levy board my credentials and now if they see me they ask me what I found lately life is good. Thanks for looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Those are indeed some amazing finds Truth! Would be great finds for either a greenie or a veteran detectorist. :thumbsup: You had to be doing something right! Congrats on a great past hunt!

I appreciate that Huckleberry

Those are some great finds, that 8 Reale looks huge, Big Congrats!

They’re huge wonderful pieces of silver I could tell you that Ron when you see it in that black soil it practically takes your breath away and then you pick it up and you just smile [emoji4]

Beautiful finds you have there. I can’t imagine digging up a cannonball

I had no idea what I was going for but it kept getting deeper and deeper then for the first time in my life I saw a rusty big ball lol

Beautiful finds , pictures and story . Congrats ! Three incredible finds saved from the ground .

I appreciate it Soil it’s such a hard place to hunt and it won’t give up anything every time you go but when you find something it’s usually great I found my share of grapeshot and war of 1812 buttons when I got my permission to hunt it I have never found any military except for believe it or not a Louisiana Pelican button From the silver war out another permission PNG image 5.jpg
PNG image 6.jpg

I love the story and how you thought of what people would do back in the day. Also that coin is outstanding 👍

Back
Top Bottom