8 Reales & Rare Seated Quarter! detecting last night UPDATE: Counterfeit 8 reales??

Socal Hopeless

Forum Supporter
went out and detected last night, did really well. biggest skeleton key I've ever seen!

does anyone know what branch "D" stands for on the military button? - Dragoon button - Doh!

Edit: 8 Reales is a counterfeit coin!

Thx!!

Attachments

• -0.jpg
    -0.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 778
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 792
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 777
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 796
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 764
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 763
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 728
Last edited:
Mike, I simply can't believe you found an 8 reale ! ?? I've only attained up to 4 reale size. Never found an 8 !! You are sick . Sick sick sick. And correct me if I'm wrong, but is that 1856 quarter an S mint ? If so, that's easily a $500 to $1k coin ? Sheesk dude, you're killing it !

The dragoons were the sort of "navy seals" or "army rangers" of that day. Sick sick sick.

Mike, I simply can't believe you found an 8 reale ! ?? I've only attained up to 4 reale size. Never found an 8 !! You are sick . Sick sick sick. And correct me if I'm wrong, but is that 1856 quarter an S mint ? If so, that's easily a $500 to $1k coin ? Sheesk dude, you're killing it !

My thoughts too

That's one of the best hunts I've ever seen!
And 3 rings!... WOW! :shock:

My thoughts too

Awesome assortment of finds and sweet seated and reale. Congrats!

Thx so much guys -- I've been very lucky this year and am grateful for that it's been so fun.

Update: the 1892 8 reales appears to be a counterfeit coin, unless someone can find a copper variant of this coin? almost seems like there is some silver or gold wash left on the coin and it's definitely made of copper. Doesn't change the magnitude of the find (in my head at least) I think it's kinda cool. anyone heard of these coins being counterfeited back in the day?

appreciate all the comments

... and it's definitely made of copper. ...

Something's wrong then. All the mints in Mexico, those years, were doing their 8 reales in silver, not copper. Are you sure it's not just so-heavily toned/tarnished that it *appears* to be copper ?

Also, .... shame on you ... considering the age of your site, then 1892 is "modern" . Go throw it back :laughing:

Also, .... shame on you ... considering the age of your site, then 1892 is "modern" . Go throw it back :laughing:

Something's wrong then. All the mints in Mexico, those years, were doing their 8 reales in silver, not copper. Are you sure it's not just so-heavily toned/tarnished that it *appears* to be copper ?

I'm positive now that it's copper, no reaction to tin foil at all.

Holy shnizzle, dream hunt to the power of ten. Congrats!

Thx Groundsweeper! you are the man

I'm positive now that it's copper, no reaction to tin foil at all. ...

Very strange. Because all the pages of the world coin book, for those years, no-matter-which Mexico mint, were all silver . Unless I'm reading the guides incorrectly ? I mean, it would be no different than USA silver dollars of that era. Where only fractional coins (pennies and nickels) weren't silver composition. Something's not adding up here.

Any coin buffs here to chime in ? :?:

Absolutely amazing hunt !!! Congratulations on all your finds. My wife's birth mother lives in Laguna Beach !! We have never been there but want to take a trip some day.

Holy Frijole , that's some incredible hunt ! Super Congrats ! I wonder if one of the workers at the mint was switching to copper and pocketing the silver ? God only knows . One thing is for certain is , that 8 Reale (real or not ) and your other finds are pretty darn cool ! Speaking of sick , sick , sick , I've got to leave now , I'm going to go out and try to find an elusive silver Rosie ( now that is truly sick ) .

Back
Top Bottom