Old spot yields cladzilla

Old Prospector

Water water everywhere and not a drop to drink. That about sums up my morning hunt.

Took the Nox800 into Dallas this morning to a site that I hadn’t been to since 2011 with my Etrac. First trip I had 3 Mercs, second trip had two Rosies, and final trip was no silver and only 1 wheat. Felt “hunted out” for my personal abilities anyways.

I’ve read on here how the Nox800 has the ability to reopen spots like this so I was very excited to put it work since I know this site had “proof of concept” with old coins. And it’s not an obvious spot so I was hoping it hadn’t been hit much in the past decade. But with a million detectorists in DFW, that’s a hopeful statement at best.

I dug a handful of deeper conductive signals but they were few and far between and always trash. I saw a greater number of 12/13’s but that soil is so tough, I decided to save my barking elbow. Ended up with no silvers and no wheats.

What was most interesting is that the homeless must’ve moved in there within the past decade, although it was cleared out now. I found many piles of clad on the surface- I could use my pro pointer and pick them up constantly. Even had one “key spill”. Being so shallow, the Equinox would do that double tap noise and you’d see the depth going nuts but would try to hint at one bar.

Haven’t added this up but I’m pretty disappointed. I could’ve found most of this with an Ace 250. I went slow. I looked for iffy deep signals. They either weren’t there or I’m still struggling to locate them. Feels like I’m in a rut of can’t miss <4” targets or bust.

I was able to give some money to a homeless woman who was in an adjacent lot on this chilly 32 deg TX morning so the trip did some good anyways!

Attachments

• C948DA44-B361-4BD3-955F-70433F72BA82.jpg
    C948DA44-B361-4BD3-955F-70433F72BA82.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 468
You'll remember her gratefulness from your good deed more than a silver coin. Congrats

Attaboy OP. Your kindness and generosity probably made her day. The angel token is beautiful. And yes one the attributes of the Equinox, its a clad hammer, deep or shallow. So now that all the shallow signals are gone maybe next trip you will be able to hear the deeper soft ones. Good luck, Mark
p.s. Anybody ever detect the grassy knoll. ?

I see lots of homeless when I venture down to "old" Dallas sites and my experience was the same as yours. Couple silvers from my 'site" then nothing but clad after that. I do not go down there anymore but want to as I feel there is a better chance to recover old silver than where I am in Garland less than a mile from Garrett headquarters. I usually can find a single wheat but never silver on my local old ground hunts recently.
I have found an angel token exactly the same as yours!
Down there in old Dallas homeless areas if you sweep abandoned lots next to operating convenience stores you will find coin spills where the homeless and others sit and drink adult beverages they have just bought.

The only reason to be disappointed is that there wasn't any targets for you to find. Not in the machine.

I've learned that some "active" hotspots for detectorists have been BEATEN by folks with eTracs, Minelabs, and high end stuff, over the years. The same is true in my own neck of the woods. Older parks are just trash-filled places with modern clad, unless you really really really get lucky (and that's THREE reallys). I've managed to get over a couple of silver quarters (as in TWO) over the years in those old parks, but I've got stories from pals who detected them in years passed, and they said every new-fangled piece of equipment that let them go deeper with more target separation yielded results... but no more.

It's like fishing. There has to be fish to catch something, no matter how good the rod/reel!

Best of luck to you finding the next awesome spot with the Nox800. You might try older areas of town and door knock, if you're looking for true results.

Cheers!

Skippy

I feel you on the difference between the Nox and Etrac. I have the Nox now and heard all of the same things how it brings sites back to life. Has not done that for me. In fact I am looking into getting an Etrac to go along with the Nox...

The only reason to be disappointed is that there wasn't any targets for you to find. Not in the machine.

I've learned that some "active" hotspots for detectorists have been BEATEN by folks with eTracs, Minelabs, and high end stuff, over the years. The same is true in my own neck of the woods. Older parks are just trash-filled places with modern clad, unless you really really really get lucky (and that's THREE reallys). I've managed to get over a couple of silver quarters (as in TWO) over the years in those old parks, but I've got stories from pals who detected them in years passed, and they said every new-fangled piece of equipment that let them go deeper with more target separation yielded results... but no more.

It's like fishing. There has to be fish to catch something, no matter how good the rod/reel!

Best of luck to you finding the next awesome spot with the Nox800. You might try older areas of town and door knock, if you're looking for true results.

Cheers!

Skippy

I appreciate the encouragement! That’s a good argument with one possible answer- bring along a friend who is proficient in pulling goodies from hunted out parks. If they aren’t catching fishies either, then you know. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom