Continental navy officer button

CTpilgrim

Elite Member
So I have been hunting but not finding a lot lately. I have been stuck in quarantine with covid so I have been hiding myself in the woods mostly where I don’t have to see anyone. I’ve been going back to spots where I have found many coppers and going slow hoping I missed some silver. No luck on the silver but I made a bucket list find today for sure. This hit a 15 on the nox so I figured shotgun shell again but you have to dig those signals in this location because you never know what’s going to come out of the ground here. I dug it and thought oh cool another button. I could see the anchor on it and the gilt still on the back with no back mark so I knew it was old and was thinking war of 1812. I started cleaning it lightly when I got home and the gilt started coming through so I switched to lemon juice and lightly toothbrushing and this is the result. I couldn’t be more happy with it and it looks like it could be in a museum. I looked it up and it turns out to be a continental navy officer button from 1774-1787. This is truly my first revolutionary war find and has been at the top of my bucket list. I also found 4 other buttons and decorative shield off a saddle I believe. Hope you are all well and stay safe.

Attachments

• 51E99609-FE0F-407F-B230-1E79BFDAF6B8.jpg
    51E99609-FE0F-407F-B230-1E79BFDAF6B8.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 576
  • D8054A05-E987-47D0-8997-FE0578C3969F.jpg
    D8054A05-E987-47D0-8997-FE0578C3969F.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 526
  • 33B8A415-2785-4E46-A142-986873799B44.jpg
    33B8A415-2785-4E46-A142-986873799B44.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 500
So I have been hunting but not finding a lot lately. I have been stuck in quarantine with covid so I have been hiding myself in the woods mostly where I don’t have to see anyone. I’ve been going back to spots where I have found many coppers and going slow hoping I missed some silver. No luck on the silver but I made a bucket list find today for sure. This hit a 15 on the nox so I figured shotgun shell again but you have to dig those signals in this location because you never know what’s going to come out of the ground here. I dug it and thought oh cool another button. I could see the anchor on it and the gilt still on the back with no back mark so I knew it was old and was thinking war of 1812. I started cleaning it lightly when I got home and the gilt started coming through so I switched to lemon juice and lightly toothbrushing and this is the result. I couldn’t be more happy with it and it looks like it could be in a museum. I looked it up and it turns out to be a continental navy officer button from 1774-1787. This is truly my first revolutionary war find and has been at the top of my bucket list. I also found 4 other buttons and decorative shield off a saddle I believe. Hope you are all well and stay safe.

wow , rob! Id dance for a find like that? Especially in that shape CONGRATS

Those old navy buttons are great. I've been surprised with two that had eagles and anchors on them in my woods!

Stunning!

Hi,

This button is stunning. Regarding the planchet, I wonder what metal or alloy it might be? Oxydized silver perhaps? White metal? Pewter?

Buttons this dark are usually recovered from the water. The happy accident of the surviving gilt design on the blackened metal has created quite the show piece. I hope you are proudly displaying your treasure where it can be seen and admired. With proper lighting of course!

Congratulations. Keep this as a family heirloom and boast about it to your friends. Don't let collectors like me try to steal it from you!

But if it appears on ebay, I 'will' be there...lol

It makes sense you found this in Connecticut. You should send a photo to Troiani. Maybe he'll include it in the next edition of his book. I've definitively added it to my database.

Best regards,

Jealous in Jersey!!

Back
Top Bottom