• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

A slick Merc and 3 Indians

off the iron

Elite Member
These finds were from Saturday 8/1. Hit it for a few hours and was able to pick out a few keepers.

1917 Merc is pretty slick, no idea if there was ever a Mint mark.

1908 IH is in great shape and has an awesome green color. I've had good luck cleaning the IH's this year by letting them dry out for an hour or so when I get home, then gently rubbing them with a tooth pick. Crazy how the green color explodes out afterwards. Another one of the Indian's is completely roached out. I can barely make out the points of the head-dress.

Hope you're all able to get out.

Attachments

• 7. Insta.jpg
    7. Insta.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 386
  • 3. 1917 Merc_front.jpg
    3. 1917 Merc_front.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 374
  • 4. 1917 Merc_reverse.jpg
    4. 1917 Merc_reverse.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 388
  • 5. 1908 IH_front.jpg
    5. 1908 IH_front.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 356
  • 6. 1908 IH_reverse.jpg
    6. 1908 IH_reverse.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 354
Nice finds - that roached Indian looks like a "fatty" (copper-nickel) from 1859-1864. They're usually in bad shape.

Nice finds - that roached Indian looks like a "fatty" (copper-nickel) from 1859-1864. They're usually in bad shape.

I was thinking the same thing. However, when I sandwich the Indians together the roached out one isn’t really thicker. Could be because of the deterioration I suppose.

It also rang up very wonky, 12-22 on my CTX, which is not at all an Indian signal. Usually they are anywhere between 12-34 through 12-37.

Definitely some nice finds man, you still coming out tomorrow? I'm hoping to hunt for a little while anyway. Keep working that spot, clearly there's potential, congrats!

Nice finds! I like coins like that merc! Makes me wonder about the stories it could tell.

Sent while sweeping and beeping using Tapatalk

Slick or not great finds! Congrats on a good hunt. Hope you can squeeze some more from that spot. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom