• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

El Cheapo tears up the road - GW and cigar token

El Cheapo

There's a major street renovation taking place nearby, and I made my first visit after all the crews went home last night around 7.

I'll be honest with you- I was half hoping I wouldn't find anything - would mean I wouldn't have to stress about checking a half-mile of packed gravel on a deadline.

No such luck, though - a screaming 87 followed by the easiest silver recovery on record means I'm in it for the long haul.

Another cool recovery from that first visit is my first trade token - and it even has the address (currently a parking lot) on it! What a neat piece of local history!

Attachments

• IMG_1507.jpg
    IMG_1507.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 530
Luv it ! I'd choose an old trade-token over an old coin any day.

Nice saves. I haven't noticed all that many "early" Washington quarters on the forum; lots in the 40's and 50's though. Without your intervention, those goodies would be buried for another 80-100 years. Can't wait to see what else you pull from that tear out. Keep at it!!!

Couple nice digs there! "Cigar Token" just got bumped up on my wishlist, after seeing yours.
You make a good point about almost hoping to not find anything. I can recall times when I probably gave up too soon on a location because it was too daunting.

There's a major street renovation taking place nearby, and I made my first visit after all the crews went home last night around 7.

I'll be honest with you- I was half hoping I wouldn't find anything - would mean I wouldn't have to stress about checking a half-mile of packed gravel on a deadline.........

Nice token!

UPDATE: Visited twice more since my original post, but no finds equal to day 1 - three 1920s wheaties in varying states of decay thanks to the gravel and blacktop. I decided to use these as guinea pigs for some of the copper cleaning methods I've read about on the forums (baking soda paste, toothpicking, and the ketchup method) and with these results, I'm ready to put in my application to the CCCC - 'Can't Clean Coppers Club'.

Hope to hit it again this weekend - there's a huge dirt pile at the end of the tearout that is mighty intriguing...

Attachments

• IMG_1519.jpg
    IMG_1519.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 138
Back
Top Bottom