Old Coin Day - excellent hunt, Barbers and more!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
I was hoping to punch thru the 50 Silvers for the Year mark today, and thankfully did so. We had great weather here in Western Montana, so I met my friend from Helena (Nox 800 user) in Missoula and got going around noon.

The first yard was ca 1915, and had some good oldies... a 1916-P Barber Dime and 1937-D Merc Dime, along with wheaties for my friend. I got a decent signal on the AT Pro close to the house, and pulled out a 1895-P Barber Quarter. Other finds were some early wheaties dating back to 1917.

Things cooled down for a while, we did get permission at two ca 1920's homes but no shiny and just a few wheat pennies. Had one of those unpleasant "revoked" permissions at a ca 1925 home. The wife gave the go ahead, then the husband came out and put the kabosh on detecting the yard.

We then worked the nearby curb strips, my friend found the cool MISSOULA MONTANA Banking tag, and a very cool WW2 "E" for Excellence pin, with "ARMY & NAVY" and "STERLING" marked on the back. I did get a 1900-P Barber Dime, and a 1891 "V" Nickel out of another nearby curb strip. A corner house dating from 1920 gave me a 1948-S Silver Rosie, and modern coins for both of us. Another nearby yard gave my friend the 1908-O Barber Dime, and more wheat pennies for me!

We took a break for a late lunch, and headed to a different part of town north of I-90. Got the ok at a stucco ca 1930 home that used to be the neighborhood bakery. My first target was a Silver WW2 Nickel, and my friend pulled a 1941 Merc Dime. We did get a lot of wheat pennies there, and called it a day later that evening. The 1941-S Merc, the Youth for Christ medallion, and the LOOK Magazine aluminum "SAVINGS MEDALLION" came from a short local hunt I did here in Hamilton MT a couple of days ago.

A good day for us, with 4 Barber coins, V Nickel, Silver Nickel, Rosie, Mercs, 36 wheat pennies, and lots of modern clad for us both! Of course, I was able to detect and find the famous MISSOULA CAROUSEL token! With the weather looking quite good next week, we hope to meet again to detect soon. Thanks for your interest!

Attachments

• coins1.jpg
    coins1.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 496
  • coins2.jpg
    coins2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 469
  • jason1.jpg
    jason1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 448
  • jason2.jpg
    jason2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 438
Again David some very impressive hunting. Lots of clad to go with lots of Wheat's, than of coarse the Silver. Congrats on reaching 50 plus FTY and enjoying another shared outing. Old Silver always makes it so much better. Trapper

Excellent hunt!

Thank you Diggerjonny!

Wow ... what a great bunch of finds - congrats on breaking 50 Silver !

Thank you E-Trac! Starting the year I would have been happy with this many for the whole year, so things are going good so far!

Great finds. I need a day or two like that.

Thank you TNT! Hope you get into some good permissions and make some good finds too!

Again David some very impressive hunting. Lots of clad to go with lots of Wheat's, than of coarse the Silver. Congrats on reaching 50 plus FTY and enjoying another shared outing. Old Silver always makes it so much better. Trapper

Thanks Trapper, glad you are doing well too! And yes, old silver is a treat to see come out of the ground!

Wow what a great lineup! Congrats!

Thanks cellr! We did get a nice assortment of goodies!

Great assortment of cool stuff. and the old coins? must be nice :roll:
Other than coins, almost all of my finds are bottle caps, beavertails, washers, rusty wire, pencil erasers. modern keys, etc. To be fair though, I don't dig stuff in the ferrous or non ferrous trash zones.
I did widen my " high tone zone to include 19 on my Equinox , which I am sure is why I have 3 IHPs so far this year. I widened my mid tone zone to include 10-14 hoping for an occasional piece of gold or a deep old nickel to go with all of the aluminum junk.

tell you what,
After my next hunt, which might be today, I will post a pic of all of the junk in my bucket before I throw it away if you do the same :p

Dang nice LtS! The ground over here is still too hard to dig.....going stir crazy! I love seeing those Barbers!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Great assortment of cool stuff. and the old coins? must be nice :roll:
Other than coins, almost all of my finds are bottle caps, beavertails, washers, rusty wire, pencil erasers. modern keys, etc. To be fair though, I don't dig stuff in the ferrous or non ferrous trash zones.
I did widen my " high tone zone to include 19 on my Equinox , which I am sure is why I have 3 IHPs so far this year. I widened my mid tone zone to include 10-14 hoping for an occasional piece of gold or a deep old nickel to go with all of the aluminum junk.

tell you what,
After my next hunt, which might be today, I will post a pic of all of the junk in my bucket before I throw it away if you do the same :p

Thanks Todd! We've detected together before, thankfully I don't get a ton of trash but I did find some odd trash in yesterday's hunt. Got an old fuse ca 1930 one of those round ones with screw in base, rang up like a nickel on the AT Pro, a few pulltabs and beavertails when I was chasing a possible nickel signal, a few deep old lids to cosmetic jars, and a couple of those ridiculous small copper gaskets or rings that sound just like a silver dime! Oh... and I did get fooled by about three old rusty crown top bottle caps, didn't hear any iron grunt so checked them out, oh well...

Dang nice LtS! The ground over here is still too hard to dig.....going stir crazy! I love seeing those Barbers!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Good to hear from you Tundra, was wondering if you were out yet plundering those small North Dakota towns!:lol: Hope you are able to get out soon!

Great Montana report as usual. Good photo layouts on the historical theme backgrounds.

Great Montana report as usual. Good photo layouts on the historical theme backgrounds.

Thanks Tom! Appreciate your comments on the background, I have a big assortment of old Montana paper items, and will continue to use them for some cool background images.

That badge is a WW2 Army - Navy excellence in production award , another nice find to go along with the fantastic coin finds .Congrats you guys really did well !

Back
Top Bottom