IHP #3 and Silver #10 FTY is my oldest career silver

MTtrashdigger

Elite Member
Went out curbstripping today in one of out oldest neigborhoods, The strips in this neighborhood have all been narrowed over the years and the curbs replaced , so I have pretty much stayed away from them , figuring they have all been scraped and filled. I feel a little leery door knocking with all that's going on with the Wuhan Flu but curb strip hunting has led to some good yard permissions when curious folks see me. I started on a corner in front of a big old home with a stone foundation so I figured it was at least pre 1915. As expected, I picked up a couple of modern coins and some trash,and not much else. I worked my way down the block and not a soul came out of any house. With the weather pretty nice for April in Montana I was surprised at the lack of activity. I finished the block with less than a dollar in clad and was walking back to my truck when a old man came out of the house where I had first started. He kept his social distance and asked what I was looking for. My standard answer is " stuff that other people have lost". After a couple minute chat I asked if anyone had ever detected his yard. He said not that he knew of but that I was welcome to give it a shot. Now many of these big old houses in this area have tiny front yards and big backyards as many of them had carriage houses in the rear. This house was no exception. He told me that his front yard was original dirt but the back yard carriage house had been torn down 25 years earlier after his youngest son moved away. The side yard and back yard had all been replaced soon after. I figured the front was better than nothing and would probably take less than 30 minutes to grid it in two directions. Targets were reasonably plentiful and after about 15 minutes I had dug 5 wheats, all from the 40s. Then got a deep 19-20 on my Equinox jumping to 28 and then back to 19-20.I couldn't get it to lock on 28 despite scanning and wiggling in multiple directions. I decided to dig but this was a deep target and the Equinox pinpointer feature lacks accuracy on deeper targets, necessitating larger plugs. Not keen on digging too big of a plug in a private yard, I started out small and dug a hole the depth of my Lesche , pulled the plug and went to the bottom and stuck my Lesche down to the hilt again, carefully cutting out a second plug in the clay from below the first.
I laid them both on my towel and started to fish around with my pinpointer and the target was on my towel in clay. Green and crusty, there was the 1905 Indian Head penny, my third IHP so far this year. Curious about the jumpy signal, I kept stirring in the dirt and got a hit on a clump of clay . In the clump was the 1904 Barber dime, my 10th silver of the year, my second Barber of the year and now my oldest silver coin ever. After filling in the hole I went back to scanning what little was left of the yard. Not finding anything else, I called out a loud thank you to the old man and called it a day. Thanks for looking and stay safe and healthy!!

Attachments

• 4-4-20 IHP 1905 and Barber dime 1904.jpg
    4-4-20 IHP 1905 and Barber dime 1904.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 402
Nice work! Feels like I haven't been out in forever! Living through folks like you still getting out.

Excellent Todd! Nice Barber and IHP and glad you were out today. I went up to Missoula and did well, am going to post a story soon. Tons of people out jogging, walking, doing yardwork etc so was able to get some good permissions.

A very nice outing Todd. That's a neat little mini spill with the Indian and the Barber. Congrats on the new oldest Silver and at having the persistence of the hunt. Trapper

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!

A pair of nice oldies, congrats!
Thanks, Still looking for anything pre-1900.

Two coins I hope to dig someday, congrats!
Thanks GroundSweeper. Im sure they are out there for you somewhere.

Nice work! Feels like I haven't been out in forever! Living through folks like you still getting out.
Thanks jwp! our "shelter in place " order actually encourages outdoor activity with proper social distancing. I guess we are lucky in that respect. Hopefully you can get back out soon.

Excellent Todd! Nice Barber and IHP and glad you were out today. I went up to Missoula and did well, am going to post a story soon. Tons of people out jogging, walking, doing yardwork etc so was able to get some good permissions.
It was a beautiful 48 and sunny yesterday in Billings. A few folks out walking dogs and such but pretty quiet for the most part. Usually when curbstrip hunting, I try to let homeowners know what I am up to, to avoid any confrontations. I was actually hoping for some contact yesterday and only had the one man come out to talk. Not as nice today but I may go out this afternoon anyway. Beginning to think that pre-1900 coins just don't exist in the dirt over here.

A very nice outing Todd. That's a neat little mini spill with the Indian and the Barber. Congrats on the new oldest Silver and at having the persistence of the hunt. Trapper
Thanks Trapper , I felt very fortunate to get them.

Congrats on some nice montana finds! Found my oldest coin ever as well the other day, 1900 Barber dime. Haven't hit 10 silvers for the year yet but we've already hit half of what we did last year. Absolutely LOVING this nice early spring weather! Hopefully you keep on stacking the silvers now that it's nice outside again! Good luck!

Two sweet finds there, congrats!
Thanks Jam!

Congrats on some nice montana finds! Found my oldest coin ever as well the other day, 1900 Barber dime. Haven't hit 10 silvers for the year yet but we've already hit half of what we did last year. Absolutely LOVING this nice early spring weather! Hopefully you keep on stacking the silvers now that it's nice outside again! Good luck!
Thanks ! it has been nice out. Looking forward to getting out more

Nice pair of old coins.....Congrats
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom