Finds: After the storms.

Doug

Elite Member
Storm Dennis comes hot on the heels of Storm Ciara, which hit the UK last weekend.

Due to most of the fields being flooded it was time to hit the beach.

Finds from three different beaches over the last 2 weeks, two of the beaches on the south coast, (Jurassic coast) and one beach on the north coast, swimming and surfing beach.

Thanks for looking.........Doug.

Jurassic cliffs south coast
70bqa6N.jpg

L5PywhO.jpg

GWHzJx1.jpg

George 5th penny wedged under a rock.
E6pEr5b.jpg

tPIRi9Q.jpg

North coast surfing beach, sand lifted out.
MNB9X3M.jpg

Beach over a mile long, swimming and surfing far end.

k5kyJVG.jpg

No markings on either ring.
TYvVOdb.jpg

1CkkLmx.jpg

A bit of TLC should be OK...;)

yNSk5fI.jpg

Triple 'A' nose fuze part bottom right.
bgQyrvd.jpg

Lead fishing weights.
OQYCiGM.jpg

Coins.
dEktg6h.jpg

Pre-decimal coins.
kPkdhWg.jpg

Nice finds.
Curious, when you or anybody for that matter finds a lot of older corroded coins like this, do you ever try to identify them all, or just add them to your collection as is? Even though you might have an idea due to experience what they might be.

I'd like to be the 1st detectorist at a beach that looks like all the sand was taken away like in one of those last beach pictures. Congrats on some very nice finds!

I have just looked at the web-cam (3:30pm local time), seems the sand is still out.

Last edited:
Excellent finds and great photos, too. Congrats!

Thank you.

Nice finds.
Curious, when you or anybody for that matter finds a lot of older corroded coins like this, do you ever try to identify them all, or just add them to your collection as is? Even though you might have an idea due to experience what they might be.

Thank you.

Some modern coins from the beach due to the iron content will be too rusty to ID. Where possible I will use a barreling machine to clean up decimal coins and use them for car parking machines. Any old copper coins will get recycled.

excellent report and pix.

Thank you Tom.

I'd like to be the 1st detectorist at a beach that looks like all the sand was taken away like in one of those last beach pictures. Congrats on some very nice finds!

Thank you Felix.

Sand still out, go get more buddy! :cool3:

Tides are now all wrong Ron time wise and due bad weather over the weekend.

"The Spanish meteorological service has named an area of low pressure storm Jorge.

It will bring wet & very windy weather to the UK over the weekend with up to 60mph gusts inland."

Some great pics and nice finds Doug. What’s “pre-decimal”?

Thank you GS.

Change over from Pounds, shillings and pence to decimalisatio
n.

"The changeover to decimal currency was no small task: the public and businesses of Britain required all the necessary information to make the changeover as smooth as possible.

New coins of decimal denomination were also to be developed and struck in preparation for use. The sheer volume of coins required for that changeover meant that The Royal Mint needed to move location from Tower Hill to a new production facility. In 1968 the new Royal Mint site in Llantrisant, South Wales was opened by Her Majesty the Queen and the first of almost six billion coins required for decimalisation went into production.

The first of the new coins, the 5p and 10p, entered circulation in April 1968. They bore new heraldic designs, yet corresponded exactly in size and value to the shillings and florins and, so, were able to run easily alongside them as their ‘decimal twins’.

Not all the coins would be that familiar, though, and in 1969 the new 50p, the world’s first seven-sided coin, replaced the 10-shilling note – a very new and very different reminder of the looming changeover.

To overcome confusion during the changeover, as well as running the old and new currencies alongside each other, publicity and information campaigns were frequent."

Thank you GS.

Change over from Pounds, shillings and pence to decimalisatio
n.

"The changeover to decimal currency was no small task: the public and businesses of Britain required all the necessary information to make the changeover as smooth as possible.

New coins of decimal denomination were also to be developed and struck in preparation for use. The sheer volume of coins required for that changeover meant that The Royal Mint needed to move location from Tower Hill to a new production facility. In 1968 the new Royal Mint site in Llantrisant, South Wales was opened by Her Majesty the Queen and the first of almost six billion coins required for decimalisation went into production.

The first of the new coins, the 5p and 10p, entered circulation in April 1968. They bore new heraldic designs, yet corresponded exactly in size and value to the shillings and florins and, so, were able to run easily alongside them as their ‘decimal twins’.

Not all the coins would be that familiar, though, and in 1969 the new 50p, the world’s first seven-sided coin, replaced the 10-shilling note – a very new and very different reminder of the looming changeover.

To overcome confusion during the changeover, as well as running the old and new currencies alongside each other, publicity and information campaigns were frequent."

I always wondered what predecimal was.

I always wondered what predecimal was.

We had another major change to our currency starting in 2016 with the 'paper' money changing over to a 'plastic' replacement.

"The Bank of England £5 note, also known as a fiver, is a banknote of the pound sterling.

It is the smallest denomination of banknote issued by the Bank of England. In September 2016, a new polymer note was introduced, featuring the image of Queen Elizabeth II on the obverse and a portrait of Winston Churchill on the reverse.

The old paper note, first issued in 2002 and bearing the image of prison reformer Elizabeth Fry on the reverse, was phased out and ceased to be legal tender after 5 May 2017."

You have some really interesting beaches. I’d like to have those long tides ... even the ones on the other side the island here was fun to hit

You have some really interesting beaches. I’d like to have those long tides ... even the ones on the other side the island here was fun to hit

Thanks Dew.

A beach with history.

The mile+ long beach was used for the rehearsal for the WW2 D-Day invasion.

Over the years I have dug up 2 live hand grenades, Royal Navy bomb disposal came out to dispose of them with a controlled explosion.

would love to hunt that rocky beach. looks like a fun hunt Doug!

Thank you CTRYD1

Myself and Christine went over to the north Devon coast again today to catch the late tide.

60+ MPH winds yesterday.

33 coins, a key and a metal cog, yes a cog!

Still pulling the predecimal coins out which shows the sand is still out.

Hope to hit the fields tomorrow although it will be a bit of a job trying to find a field which is not under water.........:roll:

Interesting treasures and beach's!! I've been watching the winds the past few months trying to put some reasoning and understand. The last two months you guys have been getting hammered several times a week. The storms come up the coast of the US and then from the top of the world. All seem to meet just outside of the UK and pound you guys! From what I've seen the UK is like the center of the Dart board...And mother nature does not miss to often.

Back
Top Bottom