GOOD Montana hunt - Barbers, Mercs, War Nickel, Token, more!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
I was able to head up to Missoula today, Saturday, where I met my friend from Helena (Nox 800) and we had a great time detecting for about 5 hours. Good weather with temps in the mid 40's and partly sunny skies made for decent conditions to chase coins!

We started in on a curb strip near where I had found the 4 Silver War nickels on Friday. My first coin was a wheat penny, and the next was a War Nickel! I was surprised and happy to have found 5 War Nickels as my last found silver coins! My friend found a 1898 "V" Nickel in the curb strip. I happened to catch the owner on the nearby corner lot, a beautiful 1920's home with a good sized yard, and received permission to detect the yard. My friend scored first with a 1920's Merc Dime, followed by a few wheaties. I got on board with an early Merc, my friend answered with another Merc, I got a weak but nice high tone and came up with another Merc, and my friend found another Merc Dime about a foot away from his previous one... we did back to back to back to back Silver dimes!

Crossing the street where I saw some people around, my friend got permission at a home with a small front yard, and we found a single wheat penny there. I got the OK a couple of doors to the east, and this yard had a 1907 Barber Dime for my friend, and a 1907 "V" Nickel for me.

The neighbors next door to the west were home, along with their young children, and we got the OK to detect that yard, with some help from the kids!:lol: This small yard produced a Missoula Montana trade token from HIPSHER & GAYNOR / 106 W. SPRUCE ST. (they were in business 1910-1911 near the NPRR tracks), and a 1910 wheat penny for me. Out in the nearby curb strip my friend found a cool Boy Scouts Good Luck token coin.

Our last permission was next door at a corner lot, and my buddy and I did back to back to back silvers again! He started it out with a 1908 Barber Dime, I scored the early Silver Rosie, and he found another 1908 Barber Dime about 8" away from his previous find. I did get a cool clock winding key. We both found some wheat pennies, and the usual modern clad, but not much clad this time compared to past hunts, most of the coins were older.

We had a fun time detecting and hope to get a few more hunts in this coming week. First pics show my better finds, the last pic shows my friend's excellent finds for the day. Thank you for your interest!

Attachments

• z2.jpg
    z2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 395
  • z3.jpg
    z3.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 328
  • z1.jpg
    z1.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 313
  • jason1.jpg
    jason1.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 327
David, fantastic ground/recoveries once again! Geez it is getting a LITTLE REPETITIVE don't you think!? :laughing: Seriously huge congrats....I still have to figure out a way to link up with you for a hunt:?:

Thank you Chris!

Awesome write up and finds!! I hate when guys just show a pic of their finds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks CW! I agree, I like the back story behind the finds too!

David, fantastic ground/recoveries once again! Geez it is getting a LITTLE REPETITIVE don't you think!? :laughing: Seriously huge congrats....I still have to figure out a way to link up with you for a hunt:?:

Thank you Paul, no complaints about the finds here in Western MT! Hope to connect with you around the Thanksgiving week or so, will give you a phone call!

Wow, you just keep coming up with the goodies. Very nice ... Congrats man!

Thank you Estima8tor!

Wow...anyone of those finds would be worthy of separate article post/thread by its self. Great job with all those recoveries!

Thank you JAK!

You and your buddy had some very fine digging David. Congrats to you both on all those Silver and Wheat's. I lover that local Token. Trapper

You and your buddy had some very fine digging David. Congrats to you both on all those Silver and Wheat's. I lover that local Token. Trapper

Thank you Trapper! All of the Mercs came from that first big yard, and all were from the 1920's, and my friend checked the 1921 and it was a "D" mint in nice shape, so probably a $200 coin, he was happy about that! I do love to find tokens, and always glad to pull silvers! Might have one week left here to detect though I don't know how much I will be able to get out. Temps the following week (Thanksgiving week) are supposed to have highs at freezing and lows in the teens with snow, so I may be done for the year around here then. Still have a hope to connect with Buellride in the Seattle / Tacoma area and maybe snag a few more silvers after that!

Last edited:
Nice group of hunts, David, with continued fantastic results!

Kids can be your best advocates!

Nice group of hunts, David, with continued fantastic results!

Kids can be your best advocates!

Thank you TommyJay! Kids "can" be fun - this was a good group of kids about 5-8 years old, my friend and I gave them lots of copper pennies, a few wheaties, and clad dimes and they were really happy and interested! All of them wanted to use my Garrett Carrot to try and find the target.

shouldn't your ground be frozen or starting to lock up :?:

Hi DD! Thankfully not quite yet. We did have a cold spell in late October with temps at nite down to single digits. It warmed up in early November and the ground has remained unfrozen since then. Just checked my 2018 detecting coin album and my last detect that year was 11/10/18, this year it will probably be 11/22/19. Snow and 24 hr/day freezing temps are supposed to start here on Monday the week of Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
You guys are just having too much luck lately ! Have you made a deal with the devil ? :?:

Don't mind me , I'm just jealous . Big time Congrats ! :D

Hah! Thank you Soil Surgeon! No deals with that guy for sure! Just blessed to have some great areas to detect around here!:yes:

Oh man, didn't anybody ever metal detect in Missoula ? You got some great hunting ground there LS . Congrats on some fine hunting, the shiny, wheat harvest and a cool token too. Good luck Mark

Oh man, didn't anybody ever metal detect in Missoula ? You got some great hunting ground there LS . Congrats on some fine hunting, the shiny, wheat harvest and a cool token too. Good luck Mark

Thanks Mark! It is all in the location for making finds. I pretty much just door knock / catch people home, as all the parks, ballfields, fairgrounds etc around here have been hammered for 40 years. The "last bastion" of undetected ground is private property, along with some curb/parking strips. Thankfully I get along well with people and usually can get a good permission or two! I think my finds could happen in most any city or state here in America.

A lot of those are in a pretty tight date range, 20-ish years anyway. You guys have a good thing going, might as well clean it up while the cleaning is good!
As has been gone over before....there are SO many houses EVERYWHERE that hold old coins and who knows what else...and having the personality that makes getting permission relatively easy is obviously a huge help! It’s not ME, but I get it. I feel sorry for the poor guys who come along in 10 years around there and get the same idea!:lol:
A smorgasbord as always....very nice AGAIN!

A lot of those are in a pretty tight date range, 20-ish years anyway. You guys have a good thing going, might as well clean it up while the cleaning is good!
As has been gone over before....there are SO many houses EVERYWHERE that hold old coins and who knows what else...and having the personality that makes getting permission relatively easy is obviously a huge help! It’s not ME, but I get it. I feel sorry for the poor guys who come along in 10 years around there and get the same idea!:lol:
A smorgasbord as always....very nice AGAIN!

Thanks IDXMonster, I agree, literally MILLIONS of homes in this great country that hold some great coins! And yep, will make hay while the sun shines!

Back
Top Bottom