First Half caps off a great day!

Foragist

Forum Supporter
Holy cow! I finally dug a silver half! I was having a great hunt already, with silvers #29 and 30, a sterling pendant, 3 buffalo nickels, and a few other goodies. For some reason, I persisted through the mosquitos, the darkness, and being a long drive from home. I felt like one more good target...then I dug the half dollar. Did not think it would be that at all. When I first saw round and shiny (in the darkness), I thought "whatever it is, it's about the size of a half dollar" Then came the moment of realization. :D I have searched and waited for a silver half dollar forever. I held that dirt covered coin in my hand until I got my phone from the truck, and walked to a nearby street light to take a couple pics. So happy!
31 FTY!

Attachments

• DSCN1569.jpg
    DSCN1569.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 485
  • DSCN1570.jpg
    DSCN1570.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 444
  • DSCN1566.jpg
    DSCN1566.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 427
  • 20190917_201548.jpg
    20190917_201548.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 404
  • 20190917_201627.jpg
    20190917_201627.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 418
Outstanding find, I am really happy for you! Congratulations on a great find, any of us would love to have found such a beauty!

Huge congratulations on the half . Love the night pics looks like a xray pic. That is the same year as my first half . Hope you get many more.HH

What a hunt ! Way to top off a great one with big silver. Congrats on you first silver half. I have only dug one. Funny thing I dug one of those cubscout buttons with my first. The Buffs are sweet as is the rest of finds, A big attaboy on that hunt. HH Mark

What a hunt ! Way to top off a great one with big silver. Congrats on you first silver half. I have only dug one. Funny thing I dug one of those cubscout buttons with my first. The Buffs are sweet as is the rest of finds, A big attaboy on that hunt. HH Mark

Huge congratulations on the half . Love the night pics looks like a xray pic. That is the same year as my first half . Hope you get many more.HH

Nice! She's a looker! A great hunt all the way around!

Now that's a nice assortment of silvers, especially the big one...congrats!

Congrats on a great hunt!!! Love that Walker, and I can hear 50FTY creeping in for you!!!

Congrats on the walker and the rest of the goodies, great hunting!

Congrats on finally finding your half! Nice looking coin.

Outstanding find, I am really happy for you! Congratulations on a great find, any of us would love to have found such a beauty!

Thank you for all the positive comments! The half was around 6 inches deep, but the signal was one of those "maybe penny, maybe dime, maybe something else", iffy type sounds with jumpy numbers. I've been over it a couple times in the last 3 years with my old machine; tight gridding that small area. Maybe the coin was not lying flat. I thought it was, but not too sure.
Two of the nickels are dated 1937, and one is slick.
There are a LOT of odd signals around there to investigate when time allows...

That’s right baby! BEWARE! Big silver can do funny stuff for some reason(as can about anything else:lol:) but they can easily read like a penny. Start tilting a coin and all bets are off. It’s great you found your first one B! Playing the “Indian and up game” has done me really well, and a lot of other hunters. Those weird surprises are part of what keeps us doing this! You just don’t ever exactly know...:digginahole:

Nice!!!! Great find! I like the play by play on the signal. Congrats (with just a touch of jealousy... no walkers for me this year)

You got it rolling pretty good right now Blaise. Congrats on you first big Silver with the Walker and the Silver Dime's. The Sterling is nice also. Trapper

That was a pretty outstanding hunt, to say the least! Way to go on the Walker half. My first silver half was also a Walker but I had to give it up to the homeowner whose yard I found it in. Every time I read about one being found, I am encouraged to know that they are still out there . Thanks for sharing your success!!

Back
Top Bottom