2 Wheats, a Buff, 2 Mercs, a GW and a Walker - Better than a trifecta?

RainorShine

Forum Supporter
Picture this, if you will. 87 degrees in the Pac NW. Nothing compared to the temps the folks in the Midwest and East Coast are enduring, but very warm for those of us with webbed feet and mossy toes. Still, the siren song of the detector screamed out. OK, OK, maybe a couple-three hour evening hunt would be tolerable.
Went to a small community sports complex with a couple Little League diamonds and a batting cage. Have hunted part of the periphery before, but there was a remote area in the back where I hadn't run a coil yet. Let's go there. Turn on the Nox, three swings and a nice 12-13. Six inches down, a toasted Buffalo Nickel (1916 I think). Only the 2nd I have ever found. Made my day. Moving on, shortly I turned a wheat penny. This was more promising than I imagined. Next was the biggie, a bouncy 32-33-34 signal. Dig it and out pops a 1917 Walker (my 4th half in 6 months). This was amazing. I continued searching and found another wheat. By this time I was thinking with the finds so far, there should be some dimes. Sure enough, in short order under a 27-28 signal I found the first Merc. Not a dozen swings later I get a nice 31-32. At this point I was expecting silver, and was not disappointed. A 1946D GW. Re-checking the hole, there was another signal. Remove more dirt and out comes another Merc (1916S). Have to say I preferred this grouping to a dime trifecta. At least one of each coin variety (except the dollar) from the early 1900's. Probably my best hunt I'll have for the foreseeable future. Counting the silver St. Christopher's medal I found 2 days ago and the Merc from 4 days ago, certainly my best week ever. Thanks for looking and HH.

Attachments

• 1917 Walker in the Ground.jpg
    1917 Walker in the Ground.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 397
  • 1917 Walker in the dirt 2.jpg
    1917 Walker in the dirt 2.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 407
  • 1928S Merc in the ground 2.jpg
    1928S Merc in the ground 2.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 389
  • 1928S Merc on the dirt.jpg
    1928S Merc on the dirt.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 375
  • 1946D GW in the ground.jpg
    1946D GW in the ground.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 368
  • It's a double header with the GW - 1916S Merc 2.jpg
    It's a double header with the GW - 1916S Merc 2.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 372
  • 7-21-19 Finds.jpg
    7-21-19 Finds.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 378
  • St Christopher (1).jpg
    St Christopher (1).jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 389
  • 7-17 Merc.jpg
    7-17 Merc.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 379
Amazing! Did you have to dig through much trash to get those goodies?

Needless to say, I'd go back!

Amazing! Did you have to dig through much trash to get those goodies?

Needless to say, I'd go back!

Thank you. Hardly any trash at all. 2 pull tabs, 2 crushed cans and that was about it. I will be going back after it starts to rain a bit. The ground was hard and some rain might enhance some of the signals.

Now that was a great day of hunting, congrats on some nice silver!

Thanks.

FANTASTIC MULTI-SILVER DAY Gale!!!

Really happy for you Sir!

Thanks Paul. Still pulling for you to get to your hundred.

Trifecta?

First off, that was an amazing hunt. I would love a day like you had.
You asked if it was better than a Trifecta? Have you ever dug a trifecta?
I dug my first trifecta last month, and I have been metal detecting eight years.
I live on the left coast so it may be harder to get three different dimes. I've dug four silver dollars and just one trifecta (dime) it those eight years. For me, a trifecta is harder. I'm wondering if anyone has every dug a Half Dollar Trifecta? You did great and yeah, go back after a rain, I would.
HH everyone

Wow that some good silver!!! I've never dug a silver half but hope to some day. I pass up on some signals that are large because they sound like trash or bing way to hard. I'll have to start trying anyway. I've dug clad halves and they didn't bing like high tone trash so I feel like I haven't passed anything up but you just never know.

Back
Top Bottom