Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Antiques Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Stories and Pictures of Finds

Old 05-20-2019, 06:26 PM

Default You never know what the day will bring!

You never know what kind of day youíre going to have. This morning I decided to go out and hit some curbstrips that looked promising and hopefully have never been explored. I ended up out late, and it was raining by the time I got the detector on the ground. The hunting started off with 3 or 4 clad quarters, and then I ran into a wall of terrible EMI from the electric buses that run in the area. About that time, my internal plumbing notified me that it was doing some express processing of something I ate yesterday. I think most detectorists have a keen awareness of all of the local public facilities in proximity to their hunting areas, and I knew where I had to go. So take off all of the gear, drive to facilities, and then back to hunting area, put the kit back together. Start finding clad again. Finally get a deep 34 Ė 36 on the Nox. Cut a decent deep plug, but nothing in the plug itself. Pinpointer gives just a peep at the bottom of the hole. Iím thinking irrigation system hardware Ė again! At this point, before I can finish, my wife calls and says I need to get back home in an hour. Great, Iíve actually been detecting for all of about 45 minutes and now I have to hurry home. After disconnecting, I went back to the hole and removed more dirt, and rocks Ė usually not a good sign around here. To my surprise there was something shiny at the bottom of the hole. At first, I thought it was an aluminum knock-out plug of some kind. Lo and behold, it was an 1894 O Barber half. My first Barber half, and the oldest coin I have found. Itís well worn, but a beauty anyway. This is my third silver half in 4 months. Next time out maybe Iíll get to put in a few hours. Hoping thereís more silver waiting. Thanks for looking. GL & HH
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2019, 06:32 PM

Very nice find! Congratulations!

Old 05-20-2019, 06:39 PM
Elite Member

Congrats on the big old barber! Seems alot of the oldest coins in your state come from the curbs. I would be back to that place ASAP. Congrats again!

☆Oldest Coin FTY:1723 Woods Hibernia☆

Old 05-20-2019, 07:12 PM
Elite Member

Outstanding find!! I was geeked out to find my first barber DIME! I'd never put that one down haha. Congrats!!

Rings 20. Gold Rings:1. Silver Rings:9

Old 05-20-2019, 07:30 PM
Elite Member

Wonderful find congrats!!

Old 05-20-2019, 07:53 PM
Supporter

I gotta say, seeing the silver in the hole is always a great site to see. Congrats!

Old 05-20-2019, 08:02 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by RainorShine View post
You never know what kind of day youíre going to have. This morning I decided to go out and hit some curbstrips that looked promising and hopefully have never been explored. I ended up out late, and it was raining by the time I got the detector on the ground. The hunting started off with 3 or 4 clad quarters, and then I ran into a wall of terrible EMI from the electric buses that run in the area. About that time, my internal plumbing notified me that it was doing some express processing of something I ate yesterday. I think most detectorists have a keen awareness of all of the local public facilities in proximity to their hunting areas, and I knew where I had to go. So take off all of the gear, drive to facilities, and then back to hunting area, put the kit back together. Start finding clad again. Finally get a deep 34 Ė 36 on the Nox. Cut a decent deep plug, but nothing in the plug itself. Pinpointer gives just a peep at the bottom of the hole. Iím thinking irrigation system hardware Ė again! At this point, before I can finish, my wife calls and says I need to get back home in an hour. Great, Iíve actually been detecting for all of about 45 minutes and now I have to hurry home. After disconnecting, I went back to the hole and removed more dirt, and rocks Ė usually not a good sign around here. To my surprise there was something shiny at the bottom of the hole. At first, I thought it was an aluminum knock-out plug of some kind. Lo and behold, it was an 1894 O Barber half. My first Barber half, and the oldest coin I have found. Itís well worn, but a beauty anyway. This is my third silver half in 4 months. Next time out maybe Iíll get to put in a few hours. Hoping thereís more silver waiting. Thanks for looking. GL & HH
Couldn't have happened to a harder working detectorist Gale! BIG CONGRATS! Very happy for you.....now I know why you have been steering me away from your towns.... Just kidding

Old 05-20-2019, 09:25 PM

Thank you all very much.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Lee1968 View post
Very nice find! Congratulations!
Thank you.

Originally Posted by ChrisnAmanda1 View post
Outstanding find!! I was geeked out to find my first barber DIME! I'd never put that one down haha. Congrats!!
Big thrill for me too. Thanks.

Originally Posted by aviationgale View post
Wonderful find congrats!!
Thank you.

Originally Posted by Saltshaker View post
I gotta say, seeing the silver in the hole is always a great site to see. Congrats!
Thank you sir.

Originally Posted by cellrdwellr View post
Congrats on the big old barber! Seems alot of the oldest coins in your state come from the curbs. I would be back to that place ASAP. Congrats again!
Yeah, got to get back. Hardly touched the area. Lots of strip left to explore. Thank you.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Buellride View post
Couldn't have happened to a harder working detectorist Gale! BIG CONGRATS! Very happy for you.....now I know why you have been steering me away from your towns.... Just kidding
You've been on a pretty good run yourself. I'd like to get a ring like the one you found recently. We need to put another hunt together sooner rather than later. BTW, two of the halves I found have been from curb strips in front of a church. Maybe something to remember.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:00 PM
Elite Member

Nice silver congrats.

DFX/Equinox 600. Total silvers fty 106 2 half's Walker and Kennedy. 8 barber dimes. 9 Washington. 1 barber. 45 mercs. 28 rosie's 2 silver nickels. 1 silver air force wings. 315wheats 8 injuns. $110.65 in clad.1 SLQ 1 large cent. 2 silver charm 1 silver thimble 1 silver earring 2 seated quarter.2 seated dime 1 shield nickel.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:49 PM
Elite Member

Congrats on the nice find.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Old 05-21-2019, 08:08 AM
Elite Member

Congrats on digging a big success to a derailed hunt. Your first Barber Half transform and overcame all the obstacles previous in the hunt. Hope you can return again soon. Trapper

Old 05-21-2019, 08:52 AM
Elite Member

Awesome find! I like the story....reminds me of last weekend when I was way north of home in the land of nothing 2 miles south of Canada when the brown dogs started barking at the back door....they almost got out too! Had to drive 20 miles to the nearest town with a gas station...it was a close one!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Old 05-21-2019, 10:48 AM
Supporter

Score!! Finding quarters is a good sign the place hasn't been detected thoroughly. Finding a silver half dollar is proof! Very nice!

Old 05-21-2019, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by jruckman38 View post
Nice silver congrats.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by HDMontana View post
Congrats on the nice find.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Much appreciated.

Originally Posted by jack&jill View post
Congrats on digging a big success to a derailed hunt. Your first Barber Half transform and overcame all the obstacles previous in the hunt. Hope you can return again soon. Trapper
Thank you. Maybe I'll get back tomorrow! An hour just isn't enough.

Originally Posted by TundraPlugger View post
Awesome find! I like the story....reminds me of last weekend when I was way north of home in the land of nothing 2 miles south of Canada when the brown dogs started barking at the back door....they almost got out too! Had to drive 20 miles to the nearest town with a gas station...it was a close one!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Thank you. Yeah, I've found that I pay close attention to where the Porta Potty's and public facilities are located. You just never know when you're going to need one. And you can't always use the closest tree. People take a dim view of you relieving yourself in public. I also started carrying a roll of toilet paper, pack of disposable wipes and a roll of paper towels. Better to be prepared.

Originally Posted by Foragist View post
Score!! Finding quarters is a good sign the place hasn't been detected thoroughly. Finding a silver half dollar is proof! Very nice!
I really hope the area is as virgin as it might appear. The EMI is horrible, but it might have deterred earlier hunters.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:25 PM
Supporter

Very sweet find. Those big silvers are extra special...congrats!

Oldest coin: 1760 Colonial Half Penny; Oldest US coin: 1796 Large Cent; Oldest US silver coin: 1861 Liberty Seat Dime; 2017 FTY Clad: $616.38; 2018 FTY Clad: $1,785.42
Most coin record amounts found on one single various of days: Quarters-165; Dimes-103; Nickels-53. 2019 FTY Silvers: 42

Old 05-21-2019, 03:57 PM
Elite Member

Thumbs up

Welcome to the Barb half club! Sweet coin!

Old 05-21-2019, 06:46 PM

Way to go! I've only found a few Barber halves around here myself. Not a common sight. Keep up the good work!

Old 05-21-2019, 07:49 PM
Supporter

Awesome find! Congrats! I've only found one barber anything and it was a dime and I was happy as could be