Sixty Six Quarters?

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
I hunted, for the first time in two weeks yesterday, following a cracked rib 2 weeks ago. Btw, a cracked rib makes you hurt like h-e-double-L in bending and digging.

Anyway, I went to a close by park, to test my ability, a park that has been clobbered over the years. I purposely went to a spot which had not produced much, thinking that it might have a surprise missed by all the veteran hunt buddies, nor myself either.

About an hour and a half before sundown, I hit a spot and started finding shallow quarters. I continually pulled quarter after quarter in a 20'x20' area, until daylight ran out. Sixty-six! One clad dime. The shallow quarters were not mostly in a pile, scattered way out, but some were 2 and 3 in close groups. A few quarters were 3-4 inches deep, plus there was a 1965, 1966, and a 1968.

How can you imagine that all these quarters got there, spread over that much area? If there was a tent there due to a fair event of some kind, I've never ever known of fairs ever being there in the 30 years of living here. Also, it was only quarters(many very modern) and spread over that expanse area.

Just a mystery to me. I actually got kinda tired digging quarters. Not enough to stop, even though my rib was barking at me a little.

Picture shows quarters in stacks of 10, one 64 Rosey found earlier and some interesting trash. That metal plate item with the notch near the tip must have had a purpose so I didn't throw it away.

Attachments

• 57240589476__84C7DAD4-3354-4DF3-9474-938DB154ED5F.jpg
    57240589476__84C7DAD4-3354-4DF3-9474-938DB154ED5F.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 684
Nice hunt man!
I too have screwed up my ribs a few times, no fun at all. People asks if it hurts and i say only when I breath, or cough, or laugh, or sneeze, sneezing is the worst! Take it easy, it takes awhile for things to settle down...

When I was a kid the only time I ever saw my dad take it easy was when he was recovering from a cracked rib. That's all I need to know about how much it hurts.

Oh, and nice hunt! There must have been some recent event on that spot. Or, the metal detecting fairy is planting quarters in pounded parks to keep our spirits up. My wife has joked about planting old silver in our yard just to see how long it takes me to find it.

Thanks. I describe the pain from a sneeze to what it must feel like when you literally get shot with a gun. A sneeze seemed to "set back" my recovery also, maybe re-crack it.

I can't imagine an event which only lost quarters, AND in such an expanded area. I've considered that somebody had stolen a bag of quarter and was running and spilled them. They were spread in such a wide, lengthy pattern. I wish I knew the story.

The Rosey was special find in that park ;-)

I imagine group of kids on a field trip being told to sit and eat lunch in that spot or playing a game where they have to roll around on the ground. That easily could produce that many quarters, especially if their parents had given them money for ice cream or treats that day.

Glad your metal detecting skills appear to have been unaffected. ;)

-D

I hit area in a community park that was littered with dimes. Nothing but dimes in that area. I wondered if some kids were playing a game with dimes. We can only imagine what may have transpired. That is one heck of a batch of quarters. Hope the ribs heal soon.

Junior year high school I cracked 2 ribs. Back then though, no money or insurance, got taped up and played 3 games to finish out the season. Nowadays these kids get a bloody lip and they out for a month lol

I imagine group of kids on a field trip being told to sit and eat lunch in that spot or playing a game where they have to roll around on the ground. That easily could produce that many quarters, especially if their parents had given them money for ice cream or treats that day.

Glad your metal detecting skills appear to have been unaffected. ;)

-D

Very doubtful. It's always been a grassy area, couldn't roll coins, plus it is away from the play areas, next to a busy roadway, about as far away from anything kids would pick. Also, kids with 66 quarters, plus the ones the'd had to have not lost?

The circumstances just doesn't fit, unless maybe they were throwing quarters in a game. That's an idea.

I hunted, for the first time in two weeks yesterday, following a cracked rib 2 weeks ago. Btw, a cracked rib makes you hurt like h-e-double-L in bending and digging.

Anyway, I went to a close by park, to test my ability, a park that has been clobbered over the years. I purposely went to a spot which had not produced much, thinking that it might have a surprise missed by all the veteran hunt buddies, nor myself either.

About an hour and a half before sundown, I hit a spot and started finding shallow quarters. I continually pulled quarter after quarter in a 20'x20' area, until daylight ran out. Sixty-six! One clad dime. The shallow quarters were not mostly in a pile, scattered way out, but some were 2 and 3 in close groups. A few quarters were 3-4 inches deep, plus there was a 1965, 1966, and a 1968.

How can you imagine that all these quarters got there, spread over that much area? If there was a tent there due to a fair event of some kind, I've never ever known of fairs ever being there in the 30 years of living here. Also, it was only quarters(many very modern) and spread over that expanse area.

Just a mystery to me. I actually got kinda tired digging quarters. Not enough to stop, even though my rib was barking at me a little.

Picture shows quarters in stacks of 10, one 64 Rosey found earlier and some interesting trash. That metal plate item with the notch near the tip must have had a purpose so I didn't throw it away.

Piñata Party !! which explains why they were spread all over the place.

on a side note.. Yesterday I found a broken plastic Easter egg that had 65 cents in it.. Easter was 10 Months ago..

Piñata Party...that fits the neighborhood too, and makes sense for being way off toward the un-busy part of the park.

Thanks. I describe the pain from a sneeze to what it must feel like when you literally get shot with a gun. A sneeze seemed to "set back" my recovery also, maybe re-crack it.

I can't imagine an event which only lost quarters, AND in such an expanded area. I've considered that somebody had stolen a bag of quarter and was running and spilled them. They were spread in such a wide, lengthy pattern. I wish I knew the story.

The Rosey was special find in that park ;-)

Martin, perhaps a pinata full of candy and change? Easter eggs? Certainly strange, awesome haul though!

In highschool I fractured 2 ribs at once playing football. That SUCKED!! But what was worse, a few years ago I was in a car accident and hitched a rib and rotated a disc. That’s the worst pain I’ve ever felt in my life... and that’s saying something because I lost 1/4” of my thumb to a circular saw [emoji22]

Nox 600
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

My ribs are pretty good Martin but my buddy “Whats Buried” here on the forum and I ran into the EXACT same thing a few years ago. As a matter of fact,the total for a couple/few hours was 129...he had 65 and I had 64. Same conditions,a bit bigger of an area but it was mind boggling. What is REALLY a “drool worthy” notion is that this scenario exists somewhere with older coins. Can you IMAGINE??
It sure is fun finding that many quarters all at once,and thinking HOW in the heck it happened.

Good day! I wish i could go metal detecting and dig quarter as a physical therapy instead of what they have me doing!

There could be a small fortune to be had there!

When I was 18 I bent the door on a 1965 Dynamic 88 Oldsmobile getting ejected out the drivers side door. Luckily I didn’t have a seatbelt on because the motor came up through the floorboard! Black ice and wrapped that sucker around a tree! Left front wheel looked like a “bark flower” with all the bark driven in and sticking out wedged between the tire and rim. Crushed left side rib cage, compound fractures both bones(right arm). Oriental lady was screaming in Japanese when she found me in her yard! Good times!

There are place with many change

When I was about 9 or 10 my uncle pissed me off.
I promptly grabbed his jar of change and threw all the coins in a tiny creek behind the house. :laughing:
They are still there. :p

Yes... That is known as the "Quarter Triangle". There have been reports of many a dizzy passerby who spun out of control, crashing to the ground, spilling quarters helter-skelter, for no particular reason at all.

Congrats on your quarter load. I'll dig quarters all day ( better than pennies and pull tabs ). Yes, broken ribs are very painful. I hit a big quarter haul last year at a fairgrounds. Must have been a ticket booth for rides ??

I broke my arm and 2 ribs when I was in my late teens on a skateboard:roll: those ribs hurt worse then the arm did, for week's. Glade to see your back at it and doing well. That's for sure a lot of quarters. It would take me a year to get that. Congrats.

Back
Top Bottom