Curse of Oak Island, Gary Drayton, opportunity for improvement.

pryan67

Forum Supporter
Yes, I know that it's "fake" and that there's "nothing" there (although I think that all of us hope that they find something awesome, just because for the most part, we're humans)

But I've been watching the past couple seasons, fast forwarding to Gary Drayton...and he seems to be swinging a bit too fast than I would think is "ideal". Although I've never used a CTX 2020 which is what I think he's using.

Thoughts? (Ideally limited to the technique used, but we can have fun still)

Keep in mind that this is a question, as I'm still a "newbie" (I've had detectors since 2012....but only been "serious" about it since last October)

In an environment that doesn’t have hardly any targets,it’s not too much of an issue...the machine will “see” a target really no matter how fast you swing(that machine anyway). In fact, deeper targets CAN be made more detectable by swinging FASTER in certain situations, as the faint deep signal creates more of a quick and noticeable “spike” in the signal instead of being tracked out.
People run into a problem with fast sweeping in areas with more targets than he has, and the interpretation of many targets in close proximity gets blurry. Also,with ANY discrimination,you don’t want a super fast swing,but it can be faster than you’d think. I’m sure he isn’t using any discrimination there though...
For TV purposes,it’s likely some of these targets were “pre-located” but not dug, and then filmed as if they just came upon them. I’m not sure how it’s done. I’m certain he knows what he can and can’t get away with from an operational standpoint, but others who are newer to the game or newer to the CTX may want to use a slower, or at least a more deliberate, swing.
Just my 2c...:grin:
You must be frozen solid then Pryan? I’m just north of you and diggable places are few and getting fewer! Dang winter...:lol:

In an environment that doesn’t have hardly any targets,it’s not too much of an issue...the machine will “see” a target really no matter how fast you swing(that machine anyway). In fact, deeper targets CAN be made more detectable by swinging FASTER in certain situations, as the faint deep signal creates more of a quick and noticeable “spike” in the signal instead of being tracked out.
People run into a problem with fast sweeping in areas with more targets than he has, and the interpretation of many targets in close proximity gets blurry. Also,with ANY discrimination,you don’t want a super fast swing,but it can be faster than you’d think. I’m sure he isn’t using any discrimination there though...
For TV purposes,it’s likely some of these targets were “pre-located” but not dug, and then filmed as if they just came upon them. I’m not sure how it’s done. I’m certain he knows what he can and can’t get away with from an operational standpoint, but others who are newer to the game or newer to the CTX may want to use a slower, or at least a more deliberate, swing.
Just my 2c...:grin:
You must be frozen solid then Pryan? I’m just north of you and diggable places are few and getting fewer! Dang winter...:lol:

Good point. With fewer targets the speed wouldn’t matter as Much

Yep. We’re frozen :(

I’m hoping for an early spring although I’ve gotten out a few times this year already. I’m anxious for spring

Good point. With fewer targets the speed wouldn’t matter as Much

Yep. We’re frozen :(

I’m hoping for an early spring although I’ve gotten out a few times this year already. I’m anxious for spring

I’ll have to look you up in the spring so you can come hang out with the Cheese Clowns. Ever been to the fairground in Pecatonica?

you know I was watching this morning as I tape it and can blaze through the commercials..

I did notice he was swinging pretty fast but more so I noticed he was about three inches off of the ground half the time and his coil was a little angled at portions of his swing.

I tend to laugh when the narrator always makes sure to refer to him as a "metal detecting expert". To me he's no more an expert than most anyone else.

I know my back doctor paid Gary to teach him and his son how to detect using a CTX. Not sure how much he charges? Saw my Doc yesterday and he said they quit detecting. No joke!

There are indeed many factors which set aside someone who is considered an “expert” as opposed to “Joe Metal Detectorist”....the biggest factor is their collection of finds. Knowing WHERE to go to find what you’re looking for and how to maximize that site is always the most important,and that’s where many people fall short and pack it in.
Many of the areas he is searching(whether or not the island really holds anything) are not conducive to swinging low,the coil will get hung up on tiny rigid sticks and plants...but he still needs the huge coil to achieve the depth in order to see as deep as possible. A smooth beach,a city park,a nice flat ball field...then skimming the surface comes back into play.
He has made very good finds,and is simply a well known face of the hobby. My uneducated guess is that he is not unlike anyone else...regular guy who enjoys detecting but just so happens to make a living out of it. To do that,you have to hang yourself out there much more than an “average guy”, and probably not even he wants the exposure that he gets at times. And really,I don’t think he’s so blind as to really believe there is anything on Oak Island...it’s just another detecting adventure for him.

Wow tear the man down why don’t you.. sounds like some jealousy going on, the man is on TV and doing something I’d love to be doing so major props to him.

Wow tear the man down why don’t you.. sounds like some jealousy going on, the man is on TV and doing something I’d love to be doing so major props to him.

The Kardashians are on TV also. I don't watch them either.

Anyone involved with this show runs the risk of harming their reputation. The show is now a complete and total joke. Did you see the episode where they claimed that they finally found gold? Total baloney. I was foolish enough to watch that episode and all they found was a gold gilt button! They were hamming it up like it was an incredibly rare and historic find! Ridiculous!

Sorry, but this show does nothing but harm the reputation of ALL treasure hunters. SIX seasons of absolutely nothing found. How long can they drag out this obviously bogus show? As long as there enough fools to watch it, the show will go on and on ad infinitum.

Anyone involved with this show runs the risk of harming their reputation. The show is now a complete and total joke. Did you see the episode where they claimed that they finally found gold? Total baloney. I was foolish enough to watch that episode and all they found was a gold gilt button! They were hamming it up like it was an incredibly rare and historic find! Ridiculous!

Sorry, but this show does nothing but harm the reputation of ALL treasure hunters. SIX seasons of absolutely nothing found. How long can they drag out this obviously bogus show? As long as there enough fools to watch it, the show will go on and on ad infinitum.

And who are you to come to come here and call people fools. FRIENDLY FORUM

I have to admit .. I do like the show and honestly if it wasn't for the Metal Detecting they wouldn't as yet found much of anything and it would of died a long time ago.
I sincerely hope that they do find something and commend them and all before them for trying.

What is the main problem for me is the Title and premise of "The Curse" and One more must die. I think they could of left that part out for sure.. It worked for the first week or 2 in order to get people to tune in, but come on.

I have to say that there has to be something there or there once was as I just can't see someone going to all that trouble for a Hoax .. I mean being Drunk or Stoned on the Wacky Tabaccy and making a "funny" only lasts so long.. someone went to an awful lot of digging and trouble for it to be a hoax.. just say'n

All shows are scripted, some more so than others, I think sometimes folks forget why they are on in the first place.. for entertainment. If you don’t like it or think it’s stupid the answer is simple.. don’t watch it. But to get on here and belittle someone on it is very juvenile.

weren't these the same two brothers who were looking for the sunken Confederate Gold in a box car off the coast of Muskegon Mi last year? What happened there? Did they find it and not tell anybody? :) Is that show coming back? Takes place in my neck of the woods, enjoyed the scenery anyway!! PS. sorry for all the ??? and thread hijack!!:cool::D

weren't these the same two brothers who were looking for the sunken Confederate Gold in a box car off the coast of Muskegon Mi last year? What happened there? Did they find it and not tell anybody? :) Is that show coming back? Takes place in my neck of the woods, enjoyed the scenery anyway!! PS. sorry for all the ??? and thread hijack!!:cool::D

Curious about that myself! I think these guys have accumulated enough wealth in their working years to simply pursue what they enjoy....following stories and possibilities of lost treasure. Count me in too!:grin:

I don't believe both brothers were involved in the Confederate gold. Even then they only called the younger one to see if he would help sponsor the hunt. I believe he did help them get a search vessel but I don't think he was more actively involved. I thought it was a good story though. There were a few of their assumptions that I thought were a little ridiculous. I can't imagine any one throwing the gold off a ferry barge. It is more likely some one cashed in all that gold. The story about the boxcar on the ferry may have been to throw off other treasure seekers. I think most treasure has been spent already. I love a good story.

Back
Top Bottom