• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Two Barbers an Indian and a smile

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
Due to the heat, home projects I haven't got out much and when I did the finds have been pretty sparse. My silver count is way down from last year and so is the wheatie count. The promising permissions I did have turned up very little. Last weekend me and buddy headed out to a field that had an 18th century indian settlement there. Thought, this should turn up something good, Not. The only thing that kept the skunk away we stopped at a ballfield for some clad. Heres where it gets good. This past Fri. evening he calls and suggests we hit and old park that we hunted a few times in the spring. We literally found V nickels under the leaves the last time we were there. Its been grown over but the vegetation is starting to die off. The morning for me was a bust as we met up and headed back to the car for lunch I ask how he did and he produced a handful of coins, said he found another V nickel just under the leaves, an IHP and a few wheats. Now I'm not into bottles but when I found the Smile bottle I thought this is only cool find all morning, and I have never seen one like it. Walking out the path I started swinging the Equinox and got an 24-25, one of the few two way repeatable signals I had all morning, I figured a memorial or a twist cap but to my surprise I saw silver not two inches down. It was a 1903 Barber dime. My first one of the year. Big pick me up. We headed over to another area after lunch and it was back to digging bullets and head stamps My buddy hit a 42 GW,I finally got an 11-12 that turned out to be a V nickel instead of a low brass headstamp. It looked to be pretty wiped and didn't think I could date it. Around 4 I started swinging back towards the car thinking my buddy would be waiting, I get there around 4:20 and he's no where to be seen. I look around. over to the path we we came out for lunch and I see him, arms waving all over the place, at first I thought he was in distress but he was trying to get my attention. NOW, up to this point I had thought maybe this place was played out. The next hour and a half made my day but turned out to be a day that most only dream of and although jealous I am happy for him and glad I was there to witness it. As I got over there he showed me a beautiful 1897 Barber quarter and three Barber dimes. Tells me he found them all in this one area less than two inches down. H e hunts with an eTrac and been Mding for twenty years. I ask, ya mind if I do a little bottom feeding, he says have at it. Bam I get a 23, wheatie in the roots, two feet away another 23, another wheatie in the roots. I call out I would like to get and IHP. he says I got a 12-32 right here, yep an Ihp. It was like a feeding frenzy for the next hour. I tell him he needs a stander to get a trifecta, not a minute later he yells over I got something good here, 12-47 13-46, not two inches down he pulls a stander for the quarter trifecta. Other than the 42 Gw after lunch he managed in less than two hours a Barber quarter,a standing Liberty quarter three Barber dimes, two Mercs a Buff, an Ih and sevral Wheaties. A gold monogramed pin of sorts. All toll His day was 8 silvers 2 Ihps 2 buffs 6 V nickels a handful of Wheaties some clad, a gold pin and a cool girl scout buckle. Unbelievable. Me, I did manage to find another wheatie. I did get an Ihp, my oldest an 1882 and strange I got a 29 on the Equinox, another Barber dime, a bout 3 in. down. Not 50 feet away from where I got the first Barber with 24-25 signal. Huh ? So my last hour was pretty good as I did get another silver, another V nickel, an Ihp, 3 Wheaties, a canadian penny a memorial and a clad dime. This was a great day. Thanks for lookin' in. HH MarkView attachment 426399 20181014_093935.jpg

20181013_205907.jpg

Last edited:
Trouble

Due to the heat, home projects I haven't got out much and when I did the finds have been pretty sparse. My silver count is way down from last year and so is the wheatie count. The promising permissions I did have turned up very little. Last weekend me and buddy headed out to a field that had an 18th century indian settlement there. Thought, this should turn up something good, Not. The only thing that kept the skunk away we stopped at a ballfield for some clad. Heres where it gets good. This past Fri. evening he calls and suggests we hit and old park that we hunted a few times in the spring. We literally found V nickels under the leaves the last time we were there. Its been grown over but the vegetation is starting to die off. The morning for me was a bust as we met up and headed back to the car for lunch I ask how he did and he produced a handful of coins, said he found another V nickel just under the leaves, an IHP and a few wheats. Now I'm not into bottles but when I found the Smile bottle I thought this is only cool find all morning, and I have never seen one like it. Walking out the path I started swinging the Equinox and got an 24-25, one of the few two way repeatable signals I had all morning, I figured a memorial or a twist cap but to my surprise I saw silver not two inches down. It was a 1903 Barber dime. My first one of the year. Big pick me up. We headed over to another area after lunch and it was back to digging bullets and head stamps My buddy hit a 42 GW,I finally got an 11-12 that turned out to be a V nickel instead of a low brass headstamp. It looked to be pretty wiped and didn't think I could date it. Around 4 I started swinging back towards the car thinking my buddy would be waiting, I get there around 4:20 and he's no where to be seen. I look around. over to the path we we came out for lunch and I see him, arms waving all over the place, at first I thought he was in distress but he was trying to get my attention. NOW, up to this point I had thought maybe this place was played out. The next hour and a half made my day but turned out to be a day that most only dream of and although jealous I am happy for him and glad I was there to witness it. As I got over there he showed me a beautiful 1897 Barber quarter and three Barber dimes. Tells me he found them all in this one area less than two inches down. H e hunts with an eTrac and been Mding for twenty years. I ask, ya mind if I do a little bottom feeding, he says have at it. Bam I get a 23, wheatie in the roots, two feet away another 23, another wheatie in the roots. I call out I would like to get and IHP. he says I got a 12-32 right here, yep an Ihp. It was like a feeding frenzy for the next hour. I tell him he needs a stander to get a trifecta, not a minute later he yells over I got something good here, 12-47 13-46, not two inches down he pulls a stander for the quarter trifecta. Other than the 42 Gw after lunch he managed in less than two hours a Barber quarter,a standing Liberty quarter three Barber dimes, two Mercs a Buff, an Ih and sevral Wheaties. A gold monogramed pin of sorts. All toll His day was 8 silvers 2 Ihps 2 buffs 6 V nickels a handful of Wheaties some clad, a gold pin and a cool girl scout buckle. Unbelievable. Me, I did manage to find another wheatie. I did get an Ihp, my oldest an 1882 and strange I got a 29 on the Equinox, another Barber dime, a bout 3 in. down. Not 50 feet away from where I got the first Barber with 24-25 signal. Huh ? So my last hour was pretty good as I did get another silver, another V nickel, an Ihp, 3 Wheaties, a canadian penny a memorial and a clad dime. This was a great day. Thanks for lookin' in. HH MarkView attachment 426399View attachment 426398

View attachment 426400

for some reason having trouble uploading more pics.

Wow. Awesome outing! Thanks for the details and play by play. Is that 1901 an S mintmark? If so it's a key date. I dug one last week and sold it for 50 bucks to my local coin shop.

Glad to see that you were finally able to get out to do some digging. You guys had an amazing hunt there! Congrats on the nice finds, Mark! That monogrammed gold item next to the miner's tag, is it by chance a gold filled pocket watch fob? It looks like one I found last year at my honey hole in Aliquippa.

Thanks

Glad to see that you were finally able to get out to do some digging. You guys had an amazing hunt there! Congrats on the nice finds, Mark! That monogrammed gold item next to the miner's tag, is it by chance a gold filled pocket watch fob? It looks like one I found last year at my honey hole in Aliquippa.

Fred, thanks it was the best hunt of the year. The monogrammed gold is a small pin. HH Mark

Back
Top Bottom