There's tokens everywhere!

TundraPlugger

Elite Member
One has to question how lucky those old "Goodluck" tokens are..... they're always getting lost.

But anyway, had the day off today to get my camper ready for the weekend and of course to go detecting.
I went through one of the little old towns I frequent on the way down to my folks place to get my camper. It's about 16 miles out of the way but that's minor.

I decided to go back over some old ground I had detected before. At first all I dug was 3 memorials until I got right along side a chunk of sidewalk. About 6" down was the first proper find of the day, the Hormel token! At that point I had just made the hunt worthwhile.... anything extra was bonus material.
Did some more swinging by an old grown over sidewalk that I had detected probably 10 times and I get a good Indianhead type signal about 7" down. Took me a bit to find what it was but it ended being the lead bag seal! First one I've ever dug! The Soo Line is the old name for the railroad that goes through town.

I kept checking around the sidewalk and came across another digable signal. Thought it might be a wheat so I dug a smaller plug.... bad idea. I ended up smoking the heart charm a bit on one side in the process. Oh well.....such is life.
I did a tiny bit more detecting before I had to take off and got the 1919 Wheatie.

Not bad for a couple hours!
12de7622b80fa602ecfb2b571cd28c0f.jpg
1571e98f8e983d87ecda09fe98bcf1c9.jpg
bb520edbec98406b5bf890a93e046597.jpg
02ff7be576efe33a872b0236eb4e7bfa.jpg
10c169b62f5f43d38f4523acf42e39a3.jpg
9918567b6dcf755c2d58f9d54a8e7bea.jpg
35434988747db2c91d0f17cb5cd4c898.jpg
63daa0f306734c9b33adbded3486f31e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Is it just me or is the Lucky Hormel Girl a bit manly? Kind of looks like The Arnold.

Is it just me or is the Lucky Hormel Girl a bit manly? Kind of looks like The Arnold.

Yeah it does! Right from his Conan the Barbarian days - long, wavy hair and all! :lol:

Great digs once again...that token is awesome! I like the multi-lingual heart pendant, too.

The Soo Line seal is a neat keeper, as well...I found one recently for the Florida East Coast Railroad here in Ohio. It turns out that the FEC not only had rail traffic on the local lines, but they even had a branch office in my town. Anyway, a neat tidbit that I uncovered while researching the seals is that they were used not just on bags or boxes, but also on box car doors. They served to both prevent tampering and simultaneously prove that none had occurred if the seal was still in place. I still haven’t figured out what purpose the numbers served, though - I assume it represents either a merchandise category/class or maybe a route designation, but my FEC seal had similar numbering on the back.

Great hunt man, very cool tokens! Does the hormel one have pictures of all the different animals that went it to their products on it?

Yeah it does! Right from his Conan the Barbarian days - long, wavy hair and all! [emoji38]

Great digs once again...that token is awesome! I like the multi-lingual heart pendant, too.

The Soo Line seal is a neat keeper, as well...I found one recently for the Florida East Coast Railroad here in Ohio. It turns out that the FEC not only had rail traffic on the local lines, but they even had a branch office in my town. Anyway, a neat tidbit that I uncovered while researching the seals is that they were used not just on bags or boxes, but also on box car doors. They served to both prevent tampering and simultaneously prove that none had occurred if the seal was still in place. I still haven’t figured out what purpose the numbers served, though - I assume it represents either a merchandise category/class or maybe a route designation, but my FEC seal had similar numbering on the back.
Thanks Airmet! That was the third hunt in a row where I dug a token. I kind of wish at least one would have had a town name on it but I can't be picky.

I think that bag seal is my favorite find from the day though. I've never dug one before and had to do some researching to figure out what it was.

Back
Top Bottom