What A Hunt! Silver 25 & 26 FTY and 3 Silver Rings.

Stiffwrists

Elite Member
What a fun afternoon! I took to the curbstrips in the old part of town. I was hunting an old apartment building curbstrip when I saw a lady come out on her porch in a house next to the apartment building to spark up a smoke. I waved at her and she waved back. I took the opportunity to ask her if I could hunt the curbstrip in front of her house. It went like this:

ME: "You wouldn't mind me hunting the grass in front of your place would you? I wouldn't do it if you had a problem with it"

HER: "Oh, I got problems, but you playing in the dirt ain't one of them"

ME: "Thanks, I'll show you what I uncover"

HER: "Tell you what... you give me the first thing you dig up and everything will be just fine"

I hit the first signal. It sounded like a surface clad dime. I told her to come over and look at what I found. She came over and I flipped out this 1943 Merc just under the surface! She was amazed (and so was i) She joked that I had planted it. And I said "Why in the hell would I have planted it?? Just to give it to you??" We laughed and I made her keep it. I took a picture of her holding it.

I continued on and had a great hunt. 3 wheats, a silver Rosie, and 3 silver rings! A nice turquoise one, an ugly one missing a stone and the smallest silver ring I have ever found. Did they used to make rings for infants??? Seriously small! It's old too. It's marked STERL inside.

I also found this award metal from 1952. It says "Jewelry Academy Award For Excellent Style Design"

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 20180314_143415_resized.jpg
    20180314_143415_resized.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 510
  • 20180314_160734_resized.jpg
    20180314_160734_resized.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 442
  • 20180314_160800_resized.jpg
    20180314_160800_resized.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 467
  • 20180314_160832_resized.jpg
    20180314_160832_resized.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 467
  • 20180314_160908_resized.jpg
    20180314_160908_resized.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 483
  • 20180314_160922_resized.jpg
    20180314_160922_resized.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 469
Congrats on the 3 Sterling hunt! Is the small one a Kiddie Gem? It looks like it.

Congrats on the 3 Sterling hunt! Is the small one a Kiddie Gem? It looks like it.

It's even smaller than a Kiddiegem. It's TINY!! Here's a pic of it next to a Kiddiegem I found last summer.

Attachments

• 20180314_181704_resized.jpg
    20180314_181704_resized.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 422
Great Finds and congrats on the silver !!!! I bet she will remember the day that you gave her that coin for a long time.

Great story! I would have loved to seen the look on your face when that merc rolled out the hole lol. Awesome surprise!

They actually did make rings for babies. Ive found a few. And heard they were given for baptism . And obviously the tradition stopped due to them eating/choking on them.

The pics are all on my pinky finger.
ALL 3 rings were found around cellar holes that have not had any house for minimum of 100yrs. They are probably from around 1825-1875.
The third picture is the smallest one. At first I had a hard time believing it was a ring.

I couldn't imagine giving these to a small infant or toddler. Nuts!

Attachments

• photo-20160801052055.jpg
    photo-20160801052055.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 343
  • photo-20160419100504.jpg
    photo-20160419100504.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 354
  • photo-20151107070742.jpg
    photo-20151107070742.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 366
Awesome story! :laughing::laughing: I see by her fingers, shes a heavy Smoker? That amount of Nicotine stain says, "Non Filters!" Camels, or PallMalls! Maybe even Lucky Strikes! Ima gonna say, early 60's? Maybe weighs 125lbs? Left handed even! Which is rare in the Smoking community. Possibly a long time Widow, better yet a Spinster? No ring, and no recent sign of one! Aries? or maybe a Scorpio?....Sassy, not afraid of Strangers, quick to make a deal, and not into frills like nail polish or hand lotion! Honest and hard working! Probably Scottish!

I would like you to PM me her address if you dont mind...I really like the cut of her jib!

She had me at..."Oh, I got problems, but you playing in the dirt aint one of them!" Yeah...aside from the moderate rheumatoid in her knuckles, early stage COPD as depicted by the shape of her fingernails...Thats a Dream Girl find right there! ..Go back and get some better pics! Pay attention to the subtle details!! What does she drive and does she have a boat? I assure you my intentions are quite above board and honorable! I'm head over heels for this Mystery Woman you found!

I'll send you a Merc Dime for bait! Hell! Make that a Walker Half! I'll ask the Wife what she thinks how I should best proceed?...She might have some better ideas? after 40yrs together, She's about ready to trade me off anyway.......:laughing:

(A persons hands are so descriptive)... You might want to pull up Web Md for some ideas of how to deal with your advanced stage compulsive onychophagia Stiffy....Most peoples fingernails are longer than they are wide..Not in your case! Damn! I'm concerned for you...You keep chewing at this rate, and you wont have any fingers left to turn on your detector in a few years, let alone type up a post!! :laughing:...)

Last edited:
Great story! That curb strip was one for the books! Congrats! I always think about curb strip hunting but I don't want to deal with homeowners that want to get bent out of shape about it. Seeing this makes me what to bite the bullet though.

Great story and finds! Wonder if a jewelry maker lived there, hence the 3 rings and a jewelry award in the same place....... ;)

Awesome story! :laughing::laughing: I see by her fingers, shes a heavy Smoker? That amount of Nicotine stain says, "Non Filters!" Camels, or PallMalls! Maybe even Lucky Strikes! Ima gonna say, early 60's? Maybe weighs 125lbs? Left handed even! Which is rare in the Smoking community. Possibly a long time Widow, better yet a Spinster? No ring, and no recent sign of one! Aries? or maybe a Scorpio?....Sassy, not afraid of Strangers, quick to make a deal, and not into frills like nail polish or hand lotion! Honest and hard working! Probably Scottish!

I would like you to PM me her address if you dont mind...I really like the cut of her jib!

She had me at..."Oh, I got problems, but you playing in the dirt aint one of them!" Yeah...aside from the moderate rheumatoid in her knuckles, early stage COPD as depicted by the shape of her fingernails...Thats a Dream Girl find right there! ..Go back and get some better pics! Pay attention to the subtle details!! What does she drive and does she have a boat? I assure you my intentions are quite above board and honorable! I'm head over heels for this Mystery Woman you found!

I'll send you a Merc Dime for bait! Hell! Make that a Walker Half! I'll ask the Wife what she thinks how I should best proceed?...She might have some better ideas? after 40yrs together, She's about ready to trade me off anyway.......:laughing:

(A persons hands are so descriptive)... You might want to pull up Web Md for some ideas of how to deal with your advanced stage compulsive onychophagia Stiffy....Most peoples fingernails are longer than they are wide..Not in your case! Damn! I'm concerned for you...You keep chewing at this rate, and you wont have any fingers left to turn on your detector in a few years, let alone type up a post!! :laughing:...)

Unsurprisingly, your assessment is quite accurate (including my propensity to chewing my nails). There was one major omission, and it is something that may throw a major monkey wrench in your plan... I'm quite confident she was a lesbian. Rainbow triangles displayed prominently and I did get a glimpse of her significant other. Mud, you are quite the catch, but I'm afraid it will take more than your prose and a Walker Half to flip that one.

Back
Top Bottom