Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Old 02-13-2018, 05:20 AM
Supporter

Default gold necklace

Took some of my gold finds and decided to make a new necklace. Added some photos of making it for those interested.
Turned out pretty good.
All these rings were from a recent expedition. Sometimes just get lucky

Surprisingly enough I fit my TDI, CTX, scoop and CF travel shaft all into 1 suitcase with room to spare for waders.
Attached Images

Last edited by Steve; 02-16-2018 at 09:33 PM.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:31 AM
A Knight of the Round Coil

Although its gorgeous that "S" closure system (lack thereof) would scare me from wearing it. It doesn't seem secure to me.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:54 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by FelixtheCat View post
Although its gorgeous that "S" closure system (lack thereof) would scare me from wearing it. It doesn't seem secure to me.
Thanks. The clasp is actually pretty secure. I could secure it with a plastic sleeve but not necessary

Old 02-13-2018, 06:57 AM
24K Larry

Sadly its the only way to keep the whole chain pure gold. if you made a 24k lobster claw the stainless spring would push through the gold in a couple uses. Also if 24k doesn't have an S hook not many would believe it was real. Guy who owns my favorite Pizza place said he bought the 24k chain he wears at a discount. Every time I see that lobster claw clasp he has on it I think quietly."I think he got ripped off"
Edit.... NICE CHAIN STEVE! 100 grams

Old 02-13-2018, 07:13 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by itsaring! View post
Sadly its the only way to keep the whole chain pure gold. if you made a 24k lobster claw the stainless spring would push through the gold in a couple uses. Also if 24k doesn't have an S hook not many would believe it was real. Guy who owns my favorite Pizza place said he bought the 24k chain he wears at a discount. Every time I see that lobster claw clasp he has on it I think quietly."I think he got ripped off"
Thanks. Believe it or not that clasp is super strong. When I find necklaces or bracelets here it's usually a link that breaks not the clasp

Old 02-13-2018, 07:48 AM
A Knight of the Round Coil

OK, learned something new here.

Originally Posted by Steve View post
Thanks. Believe it or not that clasp is super strong. When I find necklaces or bracelets here it's usually a link that breaks not the clasp
My concern wouldn't be breakage it would be you do some weird movement, jump up and down, whatever and it would just come undone. I found a nice silver chain recently and that's the system it used.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:51 AM
24K Larry

Yeah the two 24k I found was likely bent out a bit from someone horsing around. Then when the hook gets down in front of you it can come loose. But 10 and 14k chains we find let loose at the o ring when someone is horsing around. Mine have the W hooks and if you squeeze it closed it isn't coming off.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:58 AM
24K Larry

My concern wouldn't be breakage it would be you do some weird movement, jump up and down, whatever and it would just come undone. I found a nice silver chain recently and that's the system it used.
One i found before I learned you need to squeeze the clasp closed rolled around to the front. Hook came undone quick. Before id worry about keeping the hook squeezed closed making it softer id buy some spare hooks. By the way. In some countries they use chains as a money source. In other words ou need something you hand over your gold chain. One I found was just under a troy ounce. The wear on the chain lightens them. The way you make it a troy ounce again is by adding a heavier S or W hook. Imagine handing over a 24k chain for a wheelbarrow?

Old 02-13-2018, 08:03 AM
Supporter

What a beautiful Chain there Buddy! Well Done! Nothing like seeing 100gr of 24k to give a guy the galloping shudders... Something like that, if a guy lost everything except that chain, its enough to go someplace else and start over...

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:16 AM
Supporter

Yeah the two 24k I found was likely bent out a bit from someone horsing around. Then when the hook gets down in front of you it can come loose. But 10 and 14k chains we find let loose at the o ring when someone is horsing around. Mine have the W hooks and if you squeeze it closed it isn't coming off.
It's not uncommon to use a clear thread similar to fishing line to wrap around the 1 clasp a couple of times.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:17 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
What a beautiful Chain there Buddy! Well Done! Nothing like seeing 100gr of 24k to give a guy the galloping shudders... Something like that, if a guy lost everything except that chain, its enough to go someplace else and start over...
Thanks Mud.... sadly I'm still waiting to find a massive necklace like the 1 you found

Old 02-13-2018, 08:38 AM
Supporter

Now THAT would make a nice Valentines present for some lucky girl :P

Just WOW!!

How did you make that?? WOW!!

Old 02-13-2018, 09:19 AM
Elite Member

Took some of my gold finds and decided to make a new necklace.
Originally Posted by Kapi View post
How did you make that?? WOW!!
^^^Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I've had a few classes on wax molds and casting rings, but wondered about the chain.

BTW, it's soooooo buttery!

Old 02-13-2018, 10:39 AM
Elite Member

That COLOR, very nice!

Old 02-13-2018, 12:25 PM
Elite Member

steve all i can say is that chain is georgous awesome job

best finds to date - 1821 capped bust dime ,1853 seated quarter, (2) 1891 seated dimes, 1874 seated dime, 1887 seated dime love token , 1777 half reale ,1805 drapped bust largie, 1914 barber half dollar,1812 classic head largie, 1864 2 cent piece,(1909 barber half dollar with a 1934 walker half dollar in the same hole together)1952 ben franklin half dollar

Old 02-13-2018, 02:21 PM
Supporter

Took some of my gold finds and decided to make a new necklace. Added some photos of making it for those interested.
Turned out pretty good.
All these rings were from a recent expedition. Sometimes just get lucky

Surprisingly enough I fit my TDI, CTX, scoop and CF travel shaft all into 1 suitcase with room to spare for waders.
Do you have a wire drawing machine? I can see you melted in a cruicible, but how'd the rest of the process work for you?

Skippy

Ring total as of 9/25/2018 = 103

Old 02-13-2018, 02:53 PM

That is lovely! Beautiful work.

Romans 10:9 & 10
Oldest coin: 1946 Wheat Penny ~ 2018 totals: $3.19
Harbor Freight 9 Function ~ Bounty Hunter Junior ~ Cen-Tech Pinpointer

Old 02-13-2018, 03:21 PM

Yes, please detail how you made it. You must be a professional or at least had some professional training.

(are those 2 MAP gas feeds I see? what is your crucible made of?)

Old 02-13-2018, 06:09 PM
OldCherryPicker

That's a Bucket lister there buddy! Well done, I would not even know where to start on a project like that.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:53 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by OBN View post
That's a Bucket lister there buddy! Well done, I would not even know where to start on a project like that.
Thanks Joe. Most necklaces use a mold. Crack the molds and weld the pieces together. The links on this necklace have to be hand made using something similar to a press.
Just to be clear I didn't make this necklace. A project like this is way beyond my skill. Molds are 1 thing. Link by link by hand is another

1 members found this post helpful.