Recent park silver

jl1252

Elite Member
So the last couple of days I've gone to two parks I normally stay away from due to the sheer number of homeless that normally occupy them. I'm glad I did because it paid off. The one and only good find yesterday rang up as a 42 on the 505, and was a ring marked "OB Sterling" for Ostby & Barton which was a company that has some interesting history. It looks like whatever was soldered on the top had fallen off long ago, but I'm still happy.

Today, I hit another tiny park that is directly across the street from the old railroad depot. This place is always a gathering spot for numerous homeless that usually occupy almost every square inch of the grassy areas with their blankets and sleeping bags. When I drove by today there was nobody around so I pulled in and got to work. Early on I got a faint high tone from one direction that would occasionally show 42-45, and not a peep the other way. The 505 wouldn't even pinpoint it. I decided to dig and just under the grass about 2" down I hit tightly packed gravel. I chipped through that down another 3-4" inches and as I was churning the gravel with my digger to pull it out, I saw a quarter. When I pulled it out I was pleasantly surprised with a 1940 S GW!

Thanks for looking...

Attachments

• Silver ring cropped.jpg
    Silver ring cropped.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 640
  • 1940 S GW.jpg
    1940 S GW.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 644
Nice finds, you must live in a big city. I've never a homeless person on my life besides when I went to D.C. On vacation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice finds, you must live in a big city. I've never a homeless person on my life besides when I went to D.C. On vacation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, just the opposite. My town is small and has become overrun with homeless. There are no resources to offer them, and the city leaders know this, and they do nothing to enforce the vagrancy laws that are in place. Growing up it used to just be the occasional hippy, which was fine. Now the downtrodden (homeless, drug users, etc) have nowhere to go so they wander up and down the main streets talking to themselves and drinking out of their paper bags and gather in the parks and along our rivers. At both locations I saw people drive in and hand out food and supplies to these people.

Man your killing me, I've probably hunted that park some but obviously the wrong part of it! Never found silver there. I don't get over that way too often but maybe we'll cross paths early one morning...

That ring is awesome! Congrats on both!

Man your killing me, I've probably hunted that park some but obviously the wrong part of it! Never found silver there. I don't get over that way too often but maybe we'll cross paths early one morning...

Thanks man! Its been difficult finding silver up here. I'm sure we will eventually bump into each other. I've been spending more and more time in the more urban parts of your county (Roseville/Rocklin) and killing it on clad. hahaha.

You need a minelab.:yes:

Actually, just the opposite. My town is small and has become overrun with homeless. There are no resources to offer them, and the city leaders know this, and they do nothing to enforce the vagrancy laws that are in place. Growing up it used to just be the occasional hippy, which was fine. Now the downtrodden (homeless, drug users, etc) have nowhere to go so they wander up and down the main streets talking to themselves and drinking out of their paper bags and gather in the parks and along our rivers. At both locations I saw people drive in and hand out food and supplies to these people.

There's your problem, right there! :censored:

Those idiots that are feeding them are simply encouraging them to stay there. You feed a stray dog or cat, and it is going to hang around as long as you give it free handouts. You want to get rid of them? Enforce the vagrancy laws on the books, and pass an ordinance making it illegal to support vagrants, punishable by jail time and fine. Your sheriff needs to load them on a bus and dump them at the nearest large city outside your county, preferably in one of those "sanctuary" cities populated by bleeding hearts--they'll take care of 'em. :roll:

The city of Charleston SC had a problem with "Homeless" folks at intersections walking in traffic begging. Since those "Homeless" folks supposedly had no resources the city passed a law making it a $1050.00 dollar fine if you are caught handing money out the window of your car.

AT one of the intersections a friend and I were in the area and saw one of the "Homeless" walk off. Take out a smart Phone, make a call, and in a very few minutes her relief was there to take her place.

Not all those folks are Homeless. I feel for the truly homeless but there are those who make very good money from begging.

There's your problem, right there! :censored:

Those idiots that are feeding them are simply encouraging them to stay there. You feed a stray dog or cat, and it is going to hang around as long as you give it free handouts. You want to get rid of them? Enforce the vagrancy laws on the books, and pass an ordinance making it illegal to support vagrants, punishable by jail time and fine. Your sheriff needs to load them on a bus and dump them at the nearest large city outside your county, preferably in one of those "sanctuary" cities populated by bleeding hearts--they'll take care of 'em. :roll:

Homeless everywhere in Western Washington because all the free benefits and the winters are mild. Not many homeless in states such as N. Dakota , Wyoming, Montana etc. No work, no eat!

jl1252, you get 2x the "atteboy" for getting silver out of junky blighted parks :)

That's the problem on the west coast: Is that invariably all the oldest parts of our towns (the oldest parks) tend to be in the run-down areas of our towns. Contrast to the east coast, and there are some town's parks that date to the 1800s (even the 1700s) which can still be in the "upscale" parts of towns.

Which explains why our sandboxes don't over-flow with reales, LC's, and busts like back there. haha

The city of Charleston SC had a problem with "Homeless" folks at intersections walking in traffic begging. Since those "Homeless" folks supposedly had no resources the city passed a law making it a $1050.00 dollar fine if you are caught handing money out the window of your car.

AT one of the intersections a friend and I were in the area and saw one of the "Homeless" walk off. Take out a smart Phone, make a call, and in a very few minutes her relief was there to take her place.

Not all those folks are Homeless. I feel for the truly homeless but there are those who make very good money from begging.

Sounds like that ordinance makes the drive-throughs an expensive way to eat! ;)

That makes sense, why cite the "homeless" who have no money to pay the fines and who could really care less.

jl1252, you get 2x the "atteboy" for getting silver out of junky blighted parks :)

That's the problem on the west coast: Is that invariably all the oldest parts of our towns (the oldest parks) tend to be in the run-down areas of our towns. Contrast to the east coast, and there are some town's parks that date to the 1800s (even the 1700s) which can still be in the "upscale" parts of towns.

Which explains why our sandboxes don't over-flow with reales, LC's, and busts like back there. haha

Thanks Tom! My parks are in the oldest part of town and are severely neglected. The rest of my towns mining heritage and history is well preserved and maintained. Theres a weird double standard here where the city dumps tons of money into preserving the old main streets, hotels, and shops, but the parks and other public areas go by the wayside.

In my year and a half of metal detecting, Ive only pulled three silver coins in my town. I find tons of iron, clad and the occasional sterling and thats about it. I love watching YT vids of folks like Aquachigger, the Hoover Boys, and nuggetnoggin pulling old silver hand over fist but it gets really discouraging knowing that will never happen here. Its the better odds of finding gold coinage here that keeps me going. Maybe I need to take an extended vacation to the northeast, lol.

Back
Top Bottom