custom built HONKER!

007tallguy

Elite Member
hey all,
i haven't been getting out digging nearly as much as i'd like to be, so i haven't had a great deal of finds to be posting either.
but a brain storm did strike me a short while ago: why not treat myself and get something made out of some of my past finds! :D
a work customer of mine just happens to be a goldsmith so i had a good chat with him, told him what i had for materials and what i'd like to do with the stuff. my idea was a pirate style ring, silver with gold accents and that's exactly what he did for me (at a cost, of course lol)
the following pics are the "raw" materials, a shot of the work in progress and a few pics of the finished product..... all 22.8 grams of HONKER!
the ring itself is .925 silver and i love that antique finish he did to it!
the skull and crossbones is 10k gold and the side pieces are gold cannons, a bit abstract looking, but i definitely like it. :D actually, the pics don't do this piece justice, there's such a shine on the gold that it difficult to get a good photo of it without a whole lot of reflection showing. note how the light from the scale reflects on the skull, lol.
he did an awesome job for me!
thanks for looking,
Pete

Attachments

• 20170419_094515.jpg
    20170419_094515.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 555
  • 20170525_142904.jpg
    20170525_142904.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 533
  • 20170526_140301.jpg
    20170526_140301.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 546
  • 20170526_212602.jpg
    20170526_212602.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 552
  • 20170526_212443.jpg
    20170526_212443.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 536
  • 20170526_212828.jpg
    20170526_212828.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 554
So thiiiiiis is why we find huge weird ass rings 😂 Lmao I kid. That thing is freaking awesome. Love it bro! 💀

Yeah, again, I really like how it turned out..

What did the silver piece come from? Fresh cast?

<°)))>{

So thiiiiiis is why we find huge weird ass rings 😂 Lmao I kid. That thing is freaking awesome. Love it bro! 💀

gratias ago tibi Donny diversi generis multa nimis! :D (i hope i did that right, lol)

Yeah, again, I really like how it turned out..

What did the silver piece come from? Fresh cast?

<°)))>{

yessir, he melted everything down and did 4 separate casts.
the first pic has the 4 gold pieces and 6 silver, all of which i had found over the past 7 years detecting. he melted the silver into a flat bar, trimmed it to the proper length to get the size we needed for the ring then he put it through his bending machine thingy to get it round.
to get that final finish on the silver part he used a texturing hammer.
he cast the gold into the skull and cannon shapes, did a little bit of carving, final shaping and polished it to that mirror finish. a speck of soldering and things all came together. :D
i'm quite pleased with the final result, a ring that boldly says "treasure hunter". lol. ;)

Pete

I have a question for 007...

...did you have a personal engraving done inside the band in case you lose it and one of us pirates find it so we know who to look for to return it? :laughing:

I also am very impressed with this Post 007! Outstanding idea to turn some of your finds into a remarkable trophy! Excellent idea and beautiful outcome! You gotta love that! Your buddy may just have a few more takers here...

I love this thing!
Novel and artistic use of precious metals.

thanks digger! :D yeah, i like to think of it as recycling at it's finest.

I have a question for 007...

...did you have a personal engraving done inside the band in case you lose it and one of us pirates find it so we know who to look for to return it? :laughing:

oh yes, definitely engraved! :cool: thanks for looking! :D

I also am very impressed with this Post 007! Outstanding idea to turn some of your finds into a remarkable trophy! Excellent idea and beautiful outcome! You gotta love that! Your buddy may just have a few more takers here...

thank you mr mud! :D
my buddy Steve the goldsmith was very pleased with how well it turned out. he put a lot of time into it and the final result is awesome! the man certainly knows his stuff!

Nice!

That is a "honker"

thanks detector! :D yes, it's heavy but that's what i wanted. i just have to remember to be careful if i have to swat any mosquitoes while i'm wearing it, haha! :laughing:

That is just awesome looking. I love it. Now hurry up and lose it somewhere where I can find it :grin:

thanks T-man! :D i don't know if i'll be losing it anytime soon, but i am on vaca this week and will heading out shortly to do some searching! if i lose it, i'll let ya know. ;) i think i'll wave the At Pro over it just to see how it sounds, lol. i haven't heard a good silver/gold signal in a while, lol. :lol:

thanks to everybody for all of the great comments! :waytogo:

Pete

Back
Top Bottom