Too Busy!

Hazmt

Finally got some time to swing a little last month. Hit the beach with my family and scored a little clad.

Since my last post here on FMDF, I discovered answers to some questions I had about relics discovered near my farm. I learned that a skirmish was fought nearby and met and received permission from a landowner to hunt a known Union Camp about 2 miles from where I grew up. A friend and I have searched all around local area farms trying to pinpoint said skirmish, but no luck yet.

After getting permission, I hit that known Union camp with a couple of friends last year for my most recent Relic hunt. It is well-known and has been pounded hard over the years, but we had to try -It was our first real hunt on a known CW site. We started digging buttons immediately! I got a few damaged General service buttons, toe taps and a few small pieces of lead. The landowner has no-tilled that farm for years and finally had broken the soil. That is probably why we found what we did. Crops cover it currently, so we will have to wait until later this fall to go back. That was the last time I have been able to get out relic hunting.

Lately, I've been hankering to find some more CW relics. My #2 kid wanted to learn more about the Averasboro battle, so we did a self-guided road trip back in the spring. We met and spoke with some local landowners, but couldn't secure any permissions. I have an older friend who used to hunt the privately owned portions regularly, but it was probably 20 years ago. As spread out as Averasboro was, I am certain that there are plenty of artifacts left to find!

Any NC diggers here who have combed the fields around Averasboro or Bentonville? I have gotten the farming relatively caught up and would like to try some new ground! #2 kid has never found CW relics and she really wants to dig a bullet!

Thanks for all the recent posts, y'all have rekindled the Civil War history burn in me again!

yep, get that #2 kid some place to hunt

Finally got some time to swing a little last month. Hit the beach with my family and scored a little clad.

Since my last post here on FMDF, I discovered answers to some questions I had about relics discovered near my farm. I learned that a skirmish was fought nearby and met and received permission from a landowner to hunt a known Union Camp about 2 miles from where I grew up. A friend and I have searched all around local area farms trying to pinpoint said skirmish, but no luck yet.

After getting permission, I hit that known Union camp with a couple of friends last year for my most recent Relic hunt. It is well-known and has been pounded hard over the years, but we had to try -It was our first real hunt on a known CW site. We started digging buttons immediately! I got a few damaged General service buttons, toe taps and a few small pieces of lead. The landowner has no-tilled that farm for years and finally had broken the soil. That is probably why we found what we did. Crops cover it currently, so we will have to wait until later this fall to go back. That was the last time I have been able to get out relic hunting.

Lately, I've been hankering to find some more CW relics. My #2 kid wanted to learn more about the Averasboro battle, so we did a self-guided road trip back in the spring. We met and spoke with some local landowners, but couldn't secure any permissions. I have an older friend who used to hunt the privately owned portions regularly, but it was probably 20 years ago. As spread out as Averasboro was, I am certain that there are plenty of artifacts left to find!

Any NC diggers here who have combed the fields around Averasboro or Bentonville? I have gotten the farming relatively caught up and would like to try some new ground! #2 kid has never found CW relics and she really wants to dig a bullet!

Thanks for all the recent posts, y'all have rekindled the Civil War history burn in me again!

great hobby to share with kids. When my two boys were 8 & 14 we spend about 2 years hunting and panning gold in North, GA. Had permission on 40 acre plot with two mines and a gold bearing stream running through it.

Now both boys are grown men and we still recall those good old days. they learned how to handle themselves in the woods.

try to find the battle line trenches

When looking for Civil War Skirmish areas look for long slight depressions that indicate the works of a battle line. Most skirmishes occur in front of their trenches. The battle side of the trench would have had the dirt built up on that side. after 100 years most of these have filled mostly in due to erosion. But still a slight depression with one side higher than the other should be investigated.

During the battle there are often more dropped bullets than fired bullets in the trench area but might be way to deep to find.

If the battle took place in a lot of rain there would have been mud in the bottom of the trenches so there is a greater opportunity for finding pistols, bayonets and other dropped items in the mud. When the enemy is firing hundreds of bullets at you you are not too particular about what you drop during the battle.

Good luck and keep looking for battle trenches.

Back
Top Bottom