New permission

GeorgiaCody

Tried out a new permission today for about 2 hours. It is located right along the Augusta canal, about a mile from the confederate powder works obelisk so I had high hopes. Found plenty of mosquitoes and spider webs, but also found a few shot bullets from CW era. By no means does it scream with certainty that they are from soldiers but gives me hope that I might still find a button or something if I keep at it. Script "A" would be awesome given the history of the confederates keeping an artillery line active along the canal during the entirety of the war. Still a lot of real estate to be covered there so hopefully next time I'll be posting a few pics of some confederate brass. HH.

(Side note, I have no idea what the little brass piece is but it was pretty deep in some packed clay so my guess was it was OLD.)
ad94ceb023e9be129477a46e04a54b8d.jpg
f034928c7d582457bbe66555537564cf.jpg
efc6b28d032587ed22f2bd2c7185cafa.jpg
5413db502b61eb9be737673e79c690b9.jpg
0b99191bc71773fbdf5ad89328cc701f.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I was wondering about that, tried a Google search and there is umpteen different styles, but the end opposite the threads is closed, all the ones I saw on the search were hollow. If it is that or any type of gun part that would be awesome, definitely holding onto it and chalking it up as "possibly (hopefully) percussion cap nipple" thanks Waltr.

I stand corrected Waltr, after a little water it does have a tiny hole in it.
8936a1a4fb8c020252332e41b88efd96.jpg
21cc850f203c6bde0a3d360c681ac1f8.jpg

Ok. Yea, lots of different styles.

Measure the diameter of the nipple and then check sizes of percussion caps.

If they match then this is probably what it is.

Hopefully someone on here will have more knowledge with a closer ID.

I'm certainly no percussion cap expert, but I'd think that hole would be larger ID. Looks like some kind of hydraulic bleeder valve.
Good luck on the new hunting grounds though.

I'm certainly no percussion cap expert, but I'd think that hole would be larger ID. Looks like some kind of hydraulic bleeder valve.
Good luck on the new hunting grounds though.

That could be and now trying to remember what automotive brake bleeding value looks like (I've bleed many but it was many, many year ago).

If you are in the area I am thinking about, you have a good chance of landing a confederate button in that area. So be sure to hit it hard.

I plan on it, the property literally touches the canal so I definitely have high hopes. Gonna be beating back a lot of vines and digging through roots but I think it will eventually yield something for sure military. Thanks.

And I see what you mean about the small hole on the brass piece so guess I'll just hang on to it and maybe one day I'll get a for sure answer.

OP- Your threaded piece looks like some sort of orifice, like for a gas burner. Look for a small number stamped on it (indicating orifice hole diameter).

It looks larger than any percussion cap nipple I have ever seen however they do have small holes in the top end where the cap sits. I have drilled them out for more reliable firing and the result is a lot of blow back from the powder burning.

Back
Top Bottom