Looking for a good public spot near Tumwater, WA

JaMoSo82

Elite Member
I am from Pierce County and have never hunted around Tumwater or the capitol. I am meeting a friend from out of town tonight down there to hunt and I was wondering if anyone could offer any good public places to hunt, or at least where not to go and why.

In my brief research of the area, Tumwater is the oldest settlement in the region. I know that the city parks don't allow digging in them, only surface finds. Any other helpful information would be very much appreciated.

Oldest coin dug- 1927 wheatie.

..... I know that the city parks don't allow digging in them, ....

Where did you get this information? From city parks rules that said " no digging" ?

If so, I got news for you : similar language exists in every single City's Parks rules, across the United States . However, just as the alter and deface language wouldn't apply, if you cover your spots and leave no Trace: So too do I not construe that language to necessarily mean no metal detecting, if you've left no Trace.

Where did you get this information? From city parks rules that said " no digging" ?

If so, I got news for you : similar language exists in every single City's Parks rules, across the United States . However, just as the alter and deface language wouldn't apply, if you cover your spots and leave no Trace: So too do I not construe that language to necessarily mean no metal detecting, if you've left no Trace.
Seriously?

http://www.ci.tumwater.wa.us/home/showdocument?id=1897
ee27808e29d8bb2547411dd0b11dd349.jpg

I don’t construe cutting a plug, retrieving target, replacing plug, as “digging”.

Everyone’s got a comfort level with this stuff, I respect that!

Very good sleuthing. I assumed you had construed the "surface targets only" conclusion, and "no digging" conclusion , to have come from a "no digging" rule. In which case: As said, if that concluded in a "no md'ing" conclusion, then all parks across the USA would be off-limits to md'ing.

But you're right : It's explicitly right there, in your particular case. Ie.: MD'ing mentioned specifically/expressly by name. I did not look it up, as you did. I was only commenting on the "no digging " part of your post (thinking that that's what led you to your conclusion). But you're right: If md'ing is explicitly mentioned, then sure: No playing semantics with the word "dig".

Good job.

Now I wonder what brought about this explicit mention of md'ing in the parks wording there ? I know the knee-jerk reaction will be that "Someone must have left holes, thus this rule (specific mention) was enacted" , eh ?

Very good sleuthing. I assumed you had construed the "surface targets only" conclusion, and "no digging" conclusion , to have come from a "no digging" rule. In which case: As said, if that concluded in a "no md'ing" conclusion, then all parks across the USA would be off-limits to md'ing.

But you're right : It's explicitly right there, in your particular case. Ie.: MD'ing mentioned specifically/expressly by name. I did not look it up, as you did. I was only commenting on the "no digging " part of your post (thinking that that's what led you to your conclusion). But you're right: If md'ing is explicitly mentioned, then sure: No playing semantics with the word "dig".

Good job.

Now I wonder what brought about this explicit mention of md'ing in the parks wording there ? I know the knee-jerk reaction will be that "Someone must have left holes, thus this rule (specific mention) was enacted" , eh ?
If it's vague like you mentioned, I say go until questioned. If mentioned specifically, as it is here, well....

I don’t construe cutting a plug, retrieving target, replacing plug, as “digging”.

Everyone’s got a comfort level with this stuff, I respect that!
Me either, but in this case....

If it's vague like you mentioned, I say go until questioned.....

Agreed. And sorry for not having looked up your particular city, before I opened my mouth. I was only on a smart phone, not my desk top 'puter. Yes, ... yours has specific mention of detectors.

Back
Top Bottom